• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

cam...parts numbers

gdp

Cruisin' Guzzisti
...My new replacement cams (under warranty thankfully) are numbered...873873.... Can anyone tell me if this is the A5 cam-grind, or, the grind of the newer (A8?) engines? I ask because the performance of my beloved Stelvio seems a bit stronger on bottom and not quite the kick (though still strong) at 5000 rpm...thanks gdp

(Grinds teeth.)

Every single Griso/Stelvio cam has the same bloody profile! Apart from the 2O2 Sensor 2013 Stelvios and I'm not even sure about that.

The part # changed when the camshaft started being simmed for end float.

The profile didnt change then and hasn't changed since.

The factory states that any A5 engine that is being re-cammed should be done with the earlier type camshafts without shims even though there is no change to the part number for the camboxes until the advent of the 2012-13 machines with the revised oil feeds, (Possibly?) and shorter plug 'Tube'.

NONE OF THE CURRENT MOTORS IN PRODUCTION HAVE OR USE ROLLER TAPPETS! ALL OF THE GRISO 8V's FROM DAY ONE TO THE PRESENT USE THE SAME BLOODY CAM PROFILE.

I'm sorry if you don't believe me. I've actually spent a fair amount of time researching this and, quite frankly, I'm probably one of the best,if not the best person contributing to this board to do that and do it with a degree of accuracy and intelligence because I am actually a factory service agent with access to not only the factory supplied information but to a degree personel in the know.

Now it may not be what people want to hear and there will invariably be some who will stick their fingers in their ears and go 'LA-LA-LA' very loudly and declare that black is white and they know better. That's fine, I couldn't give a shit but that's the truth of it!

Anybody want to see some pics of the new V7?

'

gdp said:
...My new replacement cams (under warranty thankfully) are numbered...873873.... Can anyone tell me if this is the A5 cam-grind, or, the grind of the newer (A8?) engines? I ask because the performance of my beloved Stelvio seems a bit stronger on bottom and not quite the kick (though still strong) at 5000 rpm...thanks gdp

I don't want to re-start an argument on this matter, but I came close to buying a second hand 2011 Stelvio NTX (newer model with the big gas tank) and called it off after I saw the damage to the engine due to tappet failure and a few other issues with improper mantainance. The new camshaft code is 879271.

Now, I don't know if the the Griso is getting this exact camshaft as a replacement part when tappets fail, but it's used on the Stelvio and I was told by a trustworthy Guzzi mechanic that this specific camshaft has a different profile indeed... :dry:

JJLalas said:
.........I don't want to re-start an argument on this matter......

But you're doing just that. :roll:
What part of Pete Roper's "Every single Griso/Stelvio cam has the same bloody profile!" comment is troubling you?
He's the trustworthy Guzzi mechanic here (and very few others), not your other guy obviously...
I swear Pete is gonna lose his remaining hair. :laugh: :laugh:

There may be differences with the NTX camshafts. The NTX has a host of changes. I haven't graphed NTX cams. My comment above was about Griso camshafts which I HAVE graphed and they are all, at least prior to the MY 13 models, identical in profile.

If you don't want to buy and don't trust an 8V then nothing anybody will say is going to convince you otherwise, even though your suspicions are I'll founded and wrong. I suggest you buy something you trust.

Pete

Pascal said:
JJLalas said:
.........I don't want to re-start an argument on this matter......

But you're doing just that. :roll:
What part of Pete Roper's "Every single Griso/Stelvio cam has the same bloody profile!" comment is troubling you?
He's the trustworthy Guzzi mechanic here (and very few others), not your other guy obviously...
I swear Pete is gonna lose his remaining hair. :laugh: :laugh:

Pascal, I know Pete Roper is the trustworthy mechanic around here. I may not post much, but I do read, and I value and thank his contributions as much as anyone else, that's why I approached this matter with great care.

Believe or not, there are a few other great Guzzi mechanics around the world, and guess what? not all of them contribute or post on this forum (or any other website in some cases). That does not make them less valuable.

So yes, "my other guy" said, the STELVIO cam (879271) has a different profile now. I did not care to ask him if that was the case for the Griso. He may be wrong, of course, but as far as he knows the new cam profile does for the engine torque output what the latest mapping was doing for the previous Stelvio engine.

pete roper said:
There may be differences with the NTX camshafts. The NTX has a host of changes. I haven't graphed NTX cams. My comment above was about Griso camshafts which I HAVE graphed and they are all, at least prior to the MY 13 models, identical in profile.

That's why I posted. The guy was asking about a Stelvio camshaft, and I have been told the new one was different in profile.

pete roper said:
If you don't want to buy and don't trust an 8V then nothing anybody will say is going to convince you otherwise, even though your suspicions are I'll founded and wrong. I suggest you buy something you trust.

I have heard you saying that to people before ;) , and believe me I do trust the 8V engine. I did not trust that particular NTX engine because the tappets failure wasn't repaired as it should, and that along with improper maintenance had cause more damage to the engine than I was willing to take.

I love the Stelvio and its engine, it's just a matter of finding the right one within my budget.

pete roper said:
NONE OF THE CURRENT MOTORS IN PRODUCTION HAVE OR USE ROLLER TAPPETS!...
'

Well, how about..now? :mrgreen:
1sO97BYjTKaRNolMRNUz8M

3NhsubANTU8gqwcncnGraz

JJLalas said:
Pascal, I know Pete Roper is the trustworthy mechanic around here. I may not post much, but I do read, and I value and thank his contributions as much as anyone else, that's why I approached this matter with great care.

Believe or not, there are a few other great Guzzi mechanics around the world, and guess what? not all of them contribute or post on this forum (or any other website in some cases). That does not make them less valuable.

So yes, "my other guy" said, the STELVIO cam (879271) has a different profile now. I did not care to ask him if that was the case for the Griso. He may be wrong, of course, but as far as he knows the new cam profile does for the engine torque output what the latest mapping was doing for the previous Stelvio engine.

I don't bow to Mr. Roper but he knows his schit for sure...
And yes obviously, lots of good mechanics don't post on Forums and don't need to.
The dealer I bought my bike from is trustworthy enough for me to value their input as well.
They also said that there are no changes in cam profiles even though there are different part numbers... Mostly due to end play of said cam.

Now, your picture is throwing us under the bus. :blink:
Take no offense but are you sure it's of a Stelvio/Griso and not the new Cali?
Unless there is a change for this coming year model indeed...

JJLalas said:
pete roper said:
NONE OF THE CURRENT MOTORS IN PRODUCTION HAVE OR USE ROLLER TAPPETS!...
'

Well, how about..now? :mrgreen:
1sO97BYjTKaRNolMRNUz8M

3NhsubANTU8gqwcncnGraz

Now you are just being a richard.
Can I assume the picture is of a Cali 1400 valve train?
One that was not in production when Pete made the statement you quoted?
Seriously......
I hope you are just trying to be funny.

Mi_ka said:
:shock: ...more...pics...please...
(what are the 1/2 markings there?)
I think it's the anti-spin for the tappet and it locking point

GuzziMoto said:
Now you are just being a richard.
Can I assume the picture is of a Cali 1400 valve train?
One that was not in production when Pete made the statement you quoted?
Seriously......
I hope you are just trying to be funny.
I have been told it is a 8V valve train. When I asked if it was a California 1400 one I was told: "They are in fact the same". I'm trying to get more info, not easy.
I don't have any other pictures or bigger sizes ones, I'm sorry.
I did not mean to be a richard. I knew before posting that some issues run tight around here, that's why I tried to proceed with caution, but Jeez... :huh: I did say now because I do know there is now at least one roller tappet engine in production. I don't know if back in spring the engine was being built. I wasn't questioning Pete's statement at that time.

These are from the Cali 1400 which has only just started arriving in showrooms. None of th earlier machines have roller tappets. They are, or were, listed in the parts site for other models but are also listed as 'Abolished'. Unless the factory installed the system in a few production models and slipped them into the market for testing purposes which would present a nightmare for parts provision and would make tuning impossible as there are no different mapping options available for the supposedly non existent cam profiles.

The parts and service sites make no mention of roller tappets on earlier models. Nor are or ever have been parts for this system prior to the Cali 1400. I'm sorry, I'll believe it when I see not only a picture but documentary evidence, preferably accompanied by parts in my hands that I've taken out of a motor and listings for different ECU's specifying different engine number prefixes.

Pete

pete roper said:
(Grinds teeth.) YOU TELL THEM PETE!!!

Every single Griso/Stelvio cam has the same bloody profile! Apart from the 2O2 Sensor 2013 Stelvios and I'm not even sure about that.

The part # changed when the camshaft started being simmed for end float.

The profile didnt change then and hasn't changed since.

The factory states that any A5 engine that is being re-cammed should be done with the earlier type camshafts without shims even though there is no change to the part number for the camboxes until the advent of the 2012-13 machines with the revised oil feeds, (Possibly?) and shorter plug 'Tube'.

NONE OF THE CURRENT MOTORS IN PRODUCTION HAVE OR USE ROLLER TAPPETS! ALL OF THE GRISO 8V's FROM DAY ONE TO THE PRESENT USE THE SAME BLOODY CAM PROFILE.

I'm sorry if you don't believe me. I've actually spent a fair amount of time researching this and, quite frankly, I'm probably one of the best,if not the best person contributing to this board to do that and do it with a degree of accuracy and intelligence because I am actually a factory service agent with access to not only the factory supplied information but to a degree personel in the know.

Now it may not be what people want to hear and there will invariably be some who will stick their fingers in their ears and go 'LA-LA-LA' very loudly and declare that black is white and they know better. That's fine, I couldn't give a shit but that's the truth of it!

Anybody want to see some pics of the new V7?

'

This is taken directly from the Piaggio intranet one hour ago. Pete, if you have access to it I believe you can even click on the links and order the parts listed here:

motore » distribuzione cilindro dx (rullini)

tempario.gif
B016785 Punteria 2
tempario.gif
B017029 Supporto asse bilancieri DX 1
tempario.gif
872759 Spina D. 2,5 4
tempario.gif
015792 Vite M8x30 6
tempario.gif
842360 Tappo filettato M6x10 1
complessivo_1.png
tempario.gif