• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Centre Stand Woes

Facade

Tuned and Synch'ed
Further to my dipstick thread, I decided to get a centre stand.

Rather than pay the premium for the handspun gold/platinum version, I got one from a breakers off a 2007, mine is a 2008.

So I have a replacement frame spreader with a pair of legs attached.

Can't be much to it, thinks I, 3 bolts and it is on.

The through bolt might be a problem, naah, MG would have made it clear the exhausts.
2 minutes later I discover they didn't :blink:
So all I need to do is drop the silencers a little and wiggle the bolt out.

But the silencer bolt is under the heatshield, so the heatshields have to come off :huh:

Eventually the spreader is out :cheer:

But the stand won't fit because the spreader is about 2mm longer than the one I took out.

So I have to jack the frame apart (too much, so it has to be bent back again :S )

Some time later the bolts are back in

And it doesn't fit :angry: :angry:

1) there is a rubber bung on the stand leg that doesn't hit anything. There must be a bracket from the exhaust mounting that it reaches as there are no holes in the pedal supports for attaching it. Anyone got a picture of the stand stop and where it fits?

2) the pedal on the stand fouls on the heatshield, so it won't retract anyway :blink:

Ever wish you hadn't started something??

Is that a original Guzzi center stand, or is it a Hepco&Becker?
If the later I can take a pic tonight, and put it up here.

Looks like an original to me, the stop bung is just to the pedal side of the gusset, which has a hole in. The H&B don't look like they have the hole.

Sorted with a hanmmer, some stainless plate and a hacksaw.

I made a really nice template from a cornflakes packet, fitted it and the stand was about 10mm too low, so I had to rebend it, this moved the stand stop forwards so it isn't fully over the plate, I should have made it longer :blush:

I really ought to clean the fingerprints off the heatshield too :blush:

Attachments

• stand_up.jpg
    stand_up.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 397
I did not face anything remotely similar to what you describe when I mounted my Guzzi Center Stand. It was not super easy to do, by any means, but everything fit exactly where and how it should.

breva10.jpg

I didn't have the piece I circled.
It would have been a lot easier to fit if

1) I removed the exhaust first.
2) the 'bike were upright. (If I had any way to keep it upright, I wouldn't have needed the stand though!)

I still needed to cut the heatshield to clear the handle though, but nothing seems bent, either on the 'bike or the stand....

Yep, what you circled made us wonder (as there are no instructions accompanying the stand?!) and indeed made us discover that we needed to take out the left pipe. And, yes, it required two of us for the job: my good mechanic friend Jos

Back