• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

DB-Killer removal from '23 V7 Special Edition

anders

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
It just keeps raining so I`ll just write the instructions without test ride.
Please read carefully to the end, especially the "caution" part and remember that everything you do, you do at your own risk. This was just the way I did it. I saw another post (in FB) where somebody had used just Dremel with cutting discs and cutted the db-killer to two pieces and removed then. But honestly I think this was easier and result looks better + if you want them back, it`s easier with this method. He/she said that with hole saw it takes forever, but I can`t agree with that. Use good quality hole saw. But the choice is yours how to do it.
I`m sorry but I don`t know how to convert metric measurements to imperial. The hole saw had both markings in it, but otherwise google gives too precise answer when trying to convert like; 6mm=0.236220472" :( I`m sure you will know better how to do it. And if you can advice me how to do it I would appreciate it.
If there is something you don`t understand, feel free to ask more. I`m not native English speaker so there might be wrong words, especially in the specific tool names.

CAUTION;
When the hole saw finally went through it jammed and almost twisted my wrist. Thank god my drill had "automatic cut off" for situations if the drill bit jams. Otherwise I would have broke my wrist and might have done some damage to the bike because the drill might have hit it. It would have been totally my own fault. I was using it with wooden deck on the same day and forgot to change from "drill" to "torque setting". So make sure your drill has some type limit/cut off. And of course; use at least eye protection.

First of all I made small dots with automatic center punch tool to db-killer and to end cap that are aligned. Just in case; if I ever want them to welded back, they are easier to align with dots. I made them just to top, but when I thought about it now, it would have been better to make them bottom too.

I used this little customized hole saw combination;

20240609_002940.jpg

It consist;
- 37mm (1 7/16") hole saw and hole saw "base"
- 6mm thread rod
- approx 30mm diameter plywood disc (14mm thick).
- nuts for adjusting the plywood disc placement

Other things that you need;
-Drill with torque setting or automatic "cut off" if (=when) it jams. Remember that cord versions have even more power (and usually are older without any safety features).
-Cutting oil (I used spray).
-Dremel multitool or similar
-Plastic sheet for covering your bike. I used the one that comes in rolls and is equipped with tape. Mostly used for covering walls, windows etc. in home before painting. Metal chips and oil will fly everywhere. (Didn`t figure out the right name for this.)
-EYE PROTECTION and I recommend hearing protection and gloves too, edges are sharp after drilling.

Hole saw
I had 35mm and 38mm hole saws in toolbox but 35mm was too small and 38mm felt too loose. I would have tried 36mm but it wasn`t available anywhere near so I would had to order it (expensive and delivery time 2-4weeks). I don`t recommend using bigger than 38mm because the risk of hole being bigger than the perforated tube increases. In FB post was said that under 42mm is safe, but I wouldn`t go with bigger than 38mm.
Maybe with 36mm you wouldn`t need the guide disc but it might also be too small. I made the guide disc because 37mm was also little loose and I wanted to be sure not ruining these expensive silencers. I chose to use quality brand tool for this project and I recommend it to everybody doing this. End caps are probably stainless steel and with "no-brand" tools it might take forever or never get through. I don`t know is "Bahco" quality brand in general (there is pretty mixed opinions about that), but in this case it worked perfect and is still very sharp afterwards. This was so-called "Bi-Metal" hole saw.

Guide bit
This might be overkill; I removed the original guide drill bit from hole saw base, cut a 77mm long piece from M6 thread rod. Then used bench drill to cut plywood disc from 14mm plywood. I used 14mm plywood just because I had it in my hands. Probably little bit thinner would also be okay, but I wouldn`t go much thicker than that (there is a curve in the db-killer tube). Hole saw I used making the disc was something between 32-34mm...I think. Can`t say for sure (because I made it in workplace) but it wasn`t perfect fit so I had to sand diameter little bit smaller. It was easy using hand drill, thread rod and nuts (to lock the disc in place). Size is right when it fits inside the db-killer tube and it`s not loose or tight.
Because the original guide drill bit was 6.4mm the 6mm thread rod was little loose in the base. I added round or two of electric tape to thread rod base end to make it snug. Nuts are used to keep the guide disc in correct height. That is something that you just have try and adjust. I adjusted it so that the disc was 1-2mm higher than tooths in the hole saw. I also left the disc little loose so it can spin easily. Two nuts to each side fo the disc so they are locked and won`t start to spin with the disc.

20240609_003035.jpg 20240609_003238.jpg 20240609_004159.jpg
20240609_232830.jpg

Drilling & sanding
Drilling was pretty simple and fast job. I used "Makita DDF484" cordless drill. Recommended speed for 37mm hole saw & stainless steel combo is 120rpm (according to chart). Mine had just two settings and slower was 0-500rpm so I used it and tried not to drill in full speed but the speed was probably everything between 0-500rpm :D I used a lot of cutting oil and applied it before the previously added starts to smoke. I also gave "the tool to do its job" so I didn`t add much pressure when drilling. BTW. Did you remember to cover up your bike ? :DOil and chips will fly everywhere so it`s better be safe than sorry.
Right one was pretty fast to drill, but I almost broke my wrist like I mentioned in the caution. So use the limited torque setting in the drill. Left one took more time because there was thicker welding in bottom. Finally it was totally loose but the drill started to hit against the torque limiter and I didn`t want to risk my wrists anymore so I used pliers and moved it up/down/right/left to break the last bit of welding. <- I don`t know the right word for that movement. Tubes came out pretty easy with pliers, even though the hole is tight. Drilling leaves very sharp edges so watch out for your fingers.
After drilling I used brake cleaner and paper towels to clean the cutting oil and most of metal chips (remember to use gloves and be careful not getting cuts to your fingers, edges are sharp). I had to use little cutting disc in Dremel to remove the thick welding in bottom of the left silencer. Then I used grinding stone in dremel to smoothen the sharp edges and after that sanding drum (about 15mm diameter, pretty rough coarseness, there was no markings in the drums) in Dremel to finish it. I had just "generic tool set" for dremel and the grinding stones were poor quality or maybe I used wrong ones. They wore out very fast (as you can see in photo) but made the job. Dremel recommends "aluminum oxide" stones for stainless steel. I don`t know what material mine was although the color was similar :D I`m not professional in metal works and stainless steel always gives problems in grinding and sanding, but maybe somebody can show the right product.
After the whole process was done, I used construction vacuum cleaner, paper towels etc. to get most of the oil and metal chips&dust out of the silencers. Personally I think this was pretty unnecessary because oil will burn and metal chips blow out after the first ride.
I was doing this all by myself so forgot to take pictures about the drilling and smoothing.

dremel.jpg

This is what came out;
20240609_235813.jpg

And this is what it looks after the smoothing;
20240613_220815.jpg

Conclusion and about the sound;
I would rather have wrote this after the test ride but it looks like the ******* rain is going to last until sunday (earlier they said it stops on friday). So all my opinions are based on running the bike in the garage that is about 35m2, full of stuff and makes everything sound loud. Anyway I was assuming effect would be very modest (after all db-killers are just straight pipes with little bit smaller diameter) but this definitely increased sound more than I thought. Much deeper and more low tones than with killers/baffles. Stock sounded pretty good when idling but like an "stock ATV" in higher rpms. Now it definitely has lower sound when idling and sounds like motorbike when opening throttle. It`s not loud like Ducati DS1100 with straight pipes and termignoni silencers...which you couldn`t use in the same garage without hearing protection.
Also it backfired little (when you gave it revs). Didn`t do that before and I`m very strict to not to rev engine before it is warmed up so I would say it needs remapping. Might also be that it now runs cooler and takes more time to get in the same runninng temperature. After warming up it didn`t backfire anymore. I already installed Upmap (aftermarket exhaust without db-killers -map) but because of the work and neighbors I haven`t had chance to test. If you are not in hurry I would advise to wait what Todd does with his ecu-magic. It will pretty sure be better than UpMap. I got my UpMap very cheap from local Guzzist who sold his bike before installing it. So it was no-brainer deal for me.
I took video about the sound before drilling and will take video about the sound after removing db-killers when I have the time. I`ll upload it to youtube when it`s done, but because of the garage I can`t promise it will tell much. It might take some time, because I haven`t edited videos in years and never ever uploaded anything to youtube :D

Last edited:
“I am not an engineer” but I like to use my imagination ;)
With the CAT’s still in place I would imagine the flow might not have been greatly reduced, but it’s getting different flow none the less.
The bikes run SO much better with a tune regardless of the changes you’ve made and after changes: DNA intake filter (200% more surface) SAS block off kit and Not for street use GP Megs , it sound amazing AND performs significantly better !
PS: Great idea to use the wood to keep the drill entered !
I’ll be saving that trick in my back pocked.

Last edited:
Hi.

Nice job. Can I ask you something?

Would you take a picture with so much light very close to the exhaust?

Is the inside of the exhaust sharp?

Of course ! I will take pictures later but it`s pretty hard with phone and my endoscope has very low quality resolution, but I will try my best. The edge was very sharp after drilling but after smoothening it with dremel I can roll my finger around the edge without any cuts. I still don`t recommend doing so :D So it pretty much depends how much time you will use grindind and sanding it after drilling. Smoothening could have gone better, but I have to find right tools for that first. Probably will try those Dremel aluminum oxide stones. I have no clue about rpm in which they should be used.

I also forgot to mention in the original post that after drilling I cleaned the silencer with brake cleaner & paper before starting the smoothening process. After the whole operation I used construction vacuum cleaner to get the metal chips out from inside the silencer, but personally I think that is pretty unnecessary because after the first ride cutting oil will burn and metal chips blow out anyway. Edited this to original post.

Last edited:
I think that is pretty unnecessary because after the first ride cutting oil will burn and metal chips blow out anyway
Exhaust has positive and negative pulses. Best to do this process off of the bike and inverted to keep the debris off of the internals and cat-cons. All I'll add here.

Sorry @Antares80 but I can`t take better pictures than this. My endoscope picture quality would just tell you if there is a bird in silencer :D

I don`t have good tools to measure the inner tube size, but Bahco hole saw with guide disc made pretty precise 37mm hole. After measuring it seems like the inner tube (inside) diameter could be as big as 53mm. I still would not recommend anyone trying to drill with hole saw as big as 53mm. If I could do it again, I probably would try bigger than 37mm but only if it feels steady enough. Bigger could go easier through because it wouldn`t have to go through the welding and would be better looking but it also has the risk of hitting to angle or getting loose even with guide disc.
The construction of the silencers is pretty odd as you can see in the pictures.

Maybe I`ll grind/sand the outlets as big as can after the test drive. But then it will be much harder to reverse the process because after that there might be 8mm gap between the tubes and the end caps.

But anyway this is 1000x better than the stock.

Attachments

• 20240616_011126.jpg
    20240616_011126.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240616_011118.jpg
    20240616_011118.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 12
Great. Thank you. How is the sound?

I guess it's nice!

Have a good ride.

Sound is nice. I drove 120km (~75miles) without stopping and didn`t cause dizziness, feeling tired or anything so I would say it`s pretty good for touring also. I use Alpine Motosafe (touring) earplugs. Of course these are invidual things. I don` t believe it matters are the outlets as big as inner tube or not, but because I`m kind a perfectionist I will grind and sand them at some point. I just can´t live with the feeling that there is still something blocking the exhaust gasses not getting straight through :D

I would recommend this mod because it really improves the sound but you should also upgrade the stock fueling map at the same time. If you have the extra money then I would just buy Mistrals or something similar depending which look you like more. I like more "peanut shooters" than Arrow cans because they fit better to the retro look.

Last edited:
Most likely, our already lean-running bike will run even leaner. That said, there are still 4 cats in the exhaust path. I would hope that the ecu has a window to to compensate for the slight increase in flow. Finding concrete information on the actual ecu function is frustrating at best.

I'm not removing mine until I have a method of correcting the fueling. I may experiment with shortening the db killer tube or perforating it.

I would hope that the ecu has a window to to compensate for the slight increase in flow. Finding concrete information on the actual ecu function is frustrating at best.
Guys, this isn’t an ignorant social media site. We have tons of factual longstanding posts here. Search. Read.
One post in this section where stock mufflers were reverted to after poor running on the stock ECU. Plenty of posts here on how best to resolve this.

Ok.

One question: what happens if I delete the KILLER DBs but don't change the control unit?

I wouldn`t do it without correcting the fueling. Many people say that even stock bike runs much better with Upmap. After the Upmap (aftermarket exhaust without db-killers) it clearly runs better between 3000-4000rpm. Especially at ~3700rpm there was a huge gap where the bike vibrates a lot and you felt like you cannot accelerate without changing lower gear. It`s not perfect but much better than before. Other than that I don`t feel significant differences but my dyno is "the feeling" :)
These bikes nowadays run lean from straight to factory because of the emissions and sound policy. If you take the killers out without correcting the fueling it will be even more on the lean side. After the Upmapping the popping/backfiring was gone even on the cold engine.

Too bad I didn`t pay attention how much cooler engine runs now. But anyway that`s pretty country related :D Hopefully I will be doing road trips this week and can tell more about.

And if you are in no hurry I would wait for GTM solution for fueling. For example lambda probes are now not in use but you cannot remove them without fault codes. It`s a small thing, but I think they look pretty ugly and I would remove them if I could.

Buongiorno.
Come va la moto con lo scarico aperto?
Riusciresti a postare un video?
Grazie.
Buon divertimento

Used google translator, but anyway I`ll try to make the video soon. It`s raining and raining...

I'm sorry. This year the weather is really strange.

Here where I live we are at 40°

Yesterday I went to the mountains to pick up to find some cool.

Nice work ! That is "stealth version" and probably not so loud as mine. Now that I have ridden more I have to revise my thoughts about UpMap. It clearly makes bike run better but it`s far from perfect. My problem is the vibration between 3000-3900rpm. With Upmap it`s better but I would say 3000-3900rpm range is still unusable especially with passenger. It`s annoying because it forces me to drive either below 3000rpm or higher than 3900rpm. Below 3000rpm is too low and 4000+ rpm is pretty high for touring and combined to gear ratios it forces me to drive much over speedlimits in our country. It`s strange how the bike is almost without any vibrations after 4000rpm, very smooth and nice.
I really hope GTM fueling would finally make a change to this.

BTW. Videos are filmed and I try to combine them and upload later this week :D

Back