• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Does anyone use the Pioggia mode in heavy traffic?

Pete BoBeet

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
I read an 8-year-old review for the 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom in Ultimate Motorcycling and the author stated, "In crowded conditions, I found the Pioggia setting to be appealing." I have never used the Pioggia mode, rain or not, and it seems like few riders on the Forum have used it, either. Has anyone used it for stop and go traffic and found it to be useful?

Strange you bring this up , I've never tried the Pioggia setting either . Next trip , for sure . There's definitely
more than a little traffic to get out of Vancouver . And to imagine it really is just the touch of a button ! Peter

I read an 8-year-old review for the 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom in Ultimate Motorcycling and the author stated, "In crowded conditions, I found the Pioggia setting to be appealing." I have never used the Pioggia mode, rain or not, and it seems like few riders on the Forum have used it, either. Has anyone used it for stop and go traffic and found it to be useful?
Absolutely - usually under two conditions 1) The traffic you and Moto-Uno mention, 2) When I'm just feeling lazy and want to take in the scenery and just want to flow with slower traffic. Don't get me wrong, I love the other two modes as well and will switch to veloce asap, but the acceleration can be a bit abrupt and heavy in this mode and the throttle requires too much finesse in stop/go/slow traffic

Absolutely - usually under two conditions 1) The traffic you and Moto-Uno mention, 2) When I'm just feeling lazy and want to take in the scenery and just want to flow with slower traffic. Don't get me wrong, I love the other two modes as well and will switch to veloce asap, but the acceleration can be a bit abrupt and heavy in this mode and the throttle requires too much finesse in stop/go/slow traffic
Thank you for the feedback! I will definitely give the Pioggia setting a trial this week in bumper to bumper traffic and when I think slow and easy is the way to go!

On the V95TT, I do the opposite. When I'm in traffic, I usually make sure I'm in "sport mode" rather than "rain mode". Reason being that in my neck of the woods, drivers are murderous (figuratively, and sometimes literally), and I wan full unadulterated power to get out of their line of fire as expeditiously as possible. Pokey little puppy could become somebody's hood ornament real quick.

__Jason

On a Versys 1000 2015 I made the mistake of riding in the rain mode during a storm one day. I pulled out to pass a car on a uphill mountain road that normally would be a zip bang. On the Kawi the HP dropped from 108 at the rear to about 75-80. BIG MISTAKE!!!
Not sure on the V85 is the same, but I don't ever use rain anymore.

On the V95TT, I do the opposite. When I'm in traffic, I usually make sure I'm in "sport mode" rather than "rain mode". Reason being that in my neck of the woods, drivers are murderous (figuratively, and sometimes literally), and I wan full unadulterated power to get out of their line of fire as expeditiously as possible. Pokey little puppy could become somebody's hood ornament real quick.

__Jason
Good point, sir!

On a Versys 1000 2015 I made the mistake of riding in the rain mode during a storm one day. I pulled out to pass a car on a uphill mountain road that normally would be a zip bang. On the Kawi the HP dropped from 108 at the rear to about 75-80. BIG MISTAKE!!!
Thanks for sharing.

I would have thought that the power to weight ratio was still clearly more than one needed to pass however I have never ridden this MG setup before.

Hmm. Very interesting.

I would have thought that the power to weight ratio was still clearly more than one needed to pass however I have never ridden this MG setup before.
Hmm. Very interesting.
Scott, the system cannot "reduce power" - it simply limits the percentage of power delivered to the rear wheel via traction control (TC), in the same way it limits power when the wheel spins in relationship to the front tire. I haven't looked yet for real world acceleration tests with various modes (on any model), but when I have a spare minute, perhaps I will. I'm posting because I was asked yesterday (and and often) about this. The engine will always deliver the same power as it's designed to do, regardless of ride mode "map." People tend to think of it like variable valve timing or similar, which simply isn't the case.

I didn’t think it reduced power because as you said, that remains a constant.

I think we speed-bumped on the nomenclature.

As it is ride by wire, I was under the assumption that it limited the transmission of the signal from the throttle to the induction system, in effect, slowing down the throttle input to a more gradual increase of throttle (not power) to better control rear wheel rotation for the designated riding condition.

What caught me totally by surprise and why I wrote that initially, was because of vagrant’s statement of “On the Kawi the HP dropped from 108 at the rear to about 75-80. BIG MISTAKE!!!”

I thought that didn’t make sense and my bad phrasing got the best of me.

Surely you must have noticed my language difficulties by now. I have to edit and re-edit multiple times because I often struggle to find the correct word or terminology.

It happens to me when I speak as well.

Thanks my Brother!

Last edited:
Not on a Versys 1000 the're not! It turns into a pig in rain mode.
From Kawasaki's page, read where it CLEARLY states "Throttle-controlled power delivery" - this is done via the T/C system. It does not reduce power output of the engine, it simply limits power to the rear wheel.

Versys PowerGraph

This discussion is getting way over my head. I just want to ride safely and have fun. But if I was thirty or forty years younger I'd turn my Cal 1400 into a trike with giant Goodyear racing slicks, a 650 horsepower Chevy crate engine, a rock crusher 4 speed transmission, paint flames on the tank, get a truck driver horn and ride it like I stole it, rain or shine!

I didn’t think it reduced power because as you said, that remains a constant.

I think we speed-bumped on the nomenclature.

As it is ride by wire, I was under the assumption that it limited the transmission of the signal from the throttle to the induction system, in effect, slowing down the throttle input to a more gradual increase of throttle (not power) to better control rear wheel rotation for the designated riding condition.

What caught me totally by surprise and why I wrote that initially, was because of vagrant’s statement of “On the Kawi the HP dropped from 108 at the rear to about 75-80. BIG MISTAKE!!!”

I thought that didn’t make sense and my bad phrasing got the best of me.

Surely you must have noticed my language difficulties by now. I have to edit and re-edit multiple times because I often struggle to find the correct word or terminology.

It happens to me when I speak as well.

Thanks my Brother!
When I was installing the pcv/at300 way back when, it was required that a throttle calibration be carried out using a laptop to establish the min, max limits of the throttle I.e from closed to wide open. In pioggio mode a wot produced about 2.0 volts. In the other two modes, it went up to about 4.4. This was the basis of my post back then not to do the calibration in pioggio. Basically I think it's what scott said about pioggio limiting the demand from the throttle.

Back