• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

False speedo readings

kenrover

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hi.
I own a V7 2017 Mk3 Special. All figures are in Kms/hr, not that it matters!
Last week the speedo didn't start moving until I was doing around 40. It's gradually got more silly.
I'm just back from a ride where the needle never moved until around 100. When I turn off the engine, the needle drops back (in the correct direction) almost to the 200 mark. All other functions on the speedo including total kms of the bike, appear to function ok.
So, is it:
A faulty speedo head (please NO!)?
A sensor issue?
A dodgy connection?
Or something I haven't yet thought of?

I've read that a lot faults can occur from a failing battery. Mine's the original and no other electrical faults are apparent. Starts with barely even touching the button!

Any suggestions gratefully received.
I did try to see if this issue has been raised before but couldn't see it anywhere. Apologies if it's covered elsewhere.
My wife often accuses me of, "Having a man's look."

I'm thinking it could be the the speedo stepper motor, the sensor seems fine as you say its reading Km's ok, Can you get into instrument cluster and checkout maybe a bad solder connection? When you say the needle drops back when turning the engine off, isn't it already at zero whilst stationary or does it stick and only return when the ign is turned off.

I'm thinking it could be the the speedo stepper motor, the sensor seems fine as you say its reading Km's ok, Can you get into instrument cluster and checkout maybe a bad solder connection? When you say the needle drops back when turning the engine off, isn't it already at zero whilst stationary or does it stick and only return when the ign is turned off.
Hi Kevin.
When turned off the needle drops way beyond zero. It only gets to zero when I get to an estimated 80+kms/hr. I'm hoping it's simple but we shall see. More research to follow, but not for a week or two.

What happens if you give the speedo a sharp rap when it's being a problem.
If it then moves dodgy stepper would be a good call IMO
Also I wonder if th needle has come loose from the spindle

Last edited:
What happens if you give the speedo a sharp rap when it's being a problem.
If it then moves dodgy stepper would be a good call IMO
Also I wonder if th needle has come loose from the spindle
The needle isn't loose. It does it's "round the dial" trick when the ignition is turned on and it moves as I accelerate. It simply (simply? I wish!) isn't pointing to the right speed. I'll try the tapping suggestion though. Thanks to you and others who have made suggestions so far.

Not a problem.
I look on this sort of thread as adding to my knowledge pool incase something similar happens to my bike
Keep us updated as to you get on please

Hi Kevin.
When turned off the needle drops way beyond zero. It only gets to zero when I get to an estimated 80+kms/hr. I'm hoping it's simple but we shall see. More research to follow, but not for a week or two.
This a replacement only issue. Perhaps under warranty (hopefully).

This a replacement only issue. Perhaps under warranty (hopefully).
Thanks Todd. Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree with you. I'll try the warranty angle. We have an Act here called The Fair Trading Act which has wording such as "fit for purpose." I'll sound out the agent where I purchased the bike from (Experience, Auckland) next week.
Thanks for the advice. I'm old enough to get nostalgic about speedos driven by a (non electric) cable!

Mine started doing that just before my 50-state trip last spring. When I first noticed it, it was about 8 mph off, but got FF6D4A78 73E8 4729 A5B4 D8D36F85125C F32284D4 A8E9 4C40 9C64 444956B0B5E9 progressively worse, until now “0” is actually 60 mph. The first photo is from March 2022, the second from February 2023. I had a GPS unit mounted to the handlebar which became my “speedometer”.
I too have heard that replacement is the remedy. Too bad, because it seems to work just fine, with the exception of the needle pointing in the wrong direction.

Mine started doing that just before my 50-state trip last spring. When I first noticed it, it was about 8 mph off, but got View attachment 28696View attachment 28697progressively worse, until now “0” is actually 60 mph. The first photo is from March 2022, the second from February 2023. I had a GPS unit mounted to the handlebar which became my “speedometer”.
I too have heard that replacement is the remedy. Too bad, because it seems to work just fine, with the exception of the needle pointing in the wrong direction.
More or less the same symptoms as mine. Problem is it's a WoF failure here as I suspect it is in many countries. I may well be sending it off to Holland for an overhaul.

kenrover, let us know what transpires. I'm hoping still for a relatively inexpensive fix. (But not TOO hopeful!)

doc

kenrover, let us know what transpires. I'm hoping still for a relatively inexpensive fix. (But not TOO hopeful!)

doc
Hi.
I wish.....
I've been batting emails back and forth all morning with the suppliers. Their take is "it's out of warranty." I'm seeking legal advice atm. I think the tools will be out before long and a speedo head will be freighted to the Netherlands.
Or, the importers may capitulate.
Watch out-Pig clear for take-off!

Hi Kenrover, how did you get on with Consumer guarantee Act, Ive found Experience Motorcycles ok to deal with, mind you I was giving them money. My Breva speedo, if left in the sun, when I turn the ign on it will do the sweep but will stop at say 60Km/hr, that becomes my new zero. To reset it i have to turn the ign on/off and it drops about 10km/hr each time. I park out of the sun now. Have you tried disconnecting the speedo totally from the wiring, leave it overnight to discharge components and then reconnect?

Hi Kevin.
Great idea-I'll try that. No luck pursuing the Act yet, and overwhelming silence from contacing the importers.
As you say, Experience have been great. Until now.....

I’m sorry but isn’t the motorcycle 6 years old?

There is no legal anything here. Stuff wears out and components break. It’s part of the package deal of motorcycle ownership.

Scott, I could be wrong, but the vehicle mileage in most countries could be a legal issue. My take of frustration here is the plastic garbage used in modern gauges. The Veglias were bad enough, but at least they were rebuildable. ;)

My irritation with this is that people never waste an opportunity to bash MG when something breaks, even though like this motorcycle, it’s 6 years old!

I’d become a MG dealer and sell anybody a 10 year warrantied V7 for $50,000. Deal?

Do people do this with washing machines, computers, lawn mowers, or literally anything else? No. However they think nothing about doing it on a 6 year old motorcycle.

Warranties are great but they have a definitive life span and when it is over, it’s over! No sense whining about it. You know the deal when you buy the motorcycle. Stop bitching because you just want free stuff. It doesn’t work that way.

Back