• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

False speedo readings

Great idea-I'll try that. No luck pursuing the Act yet, and overwhelming silence from contacing the importers.
Ken, what does the Consumer Guarantee Act in NZ say?

Ken, what does the Consumer Guarantee Act in NZ say?
Hi.
It;s legislation that places responsibility on the supplier (as the agent of the manufacturer), or a repairer/trades person to honour any fault where there is a failure of an item or repair, and to quote the Act, "eg a repair or a replacement, from the manufacturer whether or not the products come with a manufacturer's warranty (called an “express guarantee” in the Act). Manufacturers do not have to provide a written warranty with their products."

Getting them to actually do this is the acid test, of course.

My irritation with this is that people never waste an opportunity to bash MG when something breaks, even though like this motorcycle, it’s 6 years old!

I’d become a MG dealer and sell anybody a 10 year warrantied V7 for $50,000. Deal?

Do people do this with washing machines, computers, lawn mowers, or literally anything else? No. However they think nothing about doing it on a 6 year old motorcycle.

Warranties are great but they have a definitive life span and when it is over, it’s over! No sense whining about it. You know the deal when you buy the motorcycle. Stop bitching because you just want free stuff. It doesn’t work that way.
I am not bashing MG, Scott. I am critiquing the agent for not honouring their legal obligation.

Hi Scottmastrocinque, in NZ the thing you purchase has to be "fit for purpose", lets say you purchase a washing machine and it comes with a 2 yr manufacturers warranty, you would expect the machine to last at least 10 years, if it conks out after 5yrs the supplier has to repair or replace, manufacturers warranty means nothing.

Hi Scottmastrocinque, in NZ the thing you purchase has to be "fit for purpose", lets say you purchase a washing machine and it comes with a 2 yr manufacturers warranty, you would expect the machine to last at least 10 years, if it conks out after 5yrs the supplier has to repair or replace, manufacturers warranty means nothing.

That’s total and complete bullshit! No wonder everything in NZ is the most expensive in the damn world. Moto Guzzi motorcycles cost more there than anyplace else. I’ve checked.

I would never sell anything there as a manufacturer or importer. You can be held liable for “a feeling about how long something should last “?

Then, if you are not the original buyer, that would be excessively punitive on the seller/maker.

I think you are way oversimplifying the law. I’m sure of it. It cannot be like you think.

That would be completely untenable to any manufacturer. Completely.

UPDATE: I just went and researched the laws there and as I suspected, you are all way over-stating the facts.

If he bought the motorcycle from a dealer, they do not have to warranty it past the manufactures warranty as stated in the CIN.

If he bought it second hand from a dealer, almost certainly the contract states, “as is where is”.

It is nevertheless, much more complex than you have stated it.

Last edited:
How was the disassembly/reassembly? Any tricks or tips? (Photos would be extremely helpful!) I can see doing this myself in the near future.

Thanks!

doc

Hi Doc.
I hope for you and everyone else that it doesn't happen.
Are you good at micro-surgery?
1] Remove speedo head-a multiplug, a sensor and some nuts and screws
2] with a fine knife or scalpel, peel off the chrome bezel
Remove offending needle and clean surfaces
3] Apply a strong glue to surfaces and locate needle (noting where it originally is in the 0 km/hr zone
4]Reassemble in reverse order
5] Pour your drink of choice and think positive thoughts.....

As I say-I hope it doesn't happen to anyone. I can honestly say this is the only issue I've had. It's been a gem of a bike.

Mahalo! Pretty much what I was expecting.

The bike is my only transportation at the moment, so it may wait for a bit.

Thanks again.

doc

Agreed as per kenrover's fix....
I've had false reading problems with both the tacho and Speedo on my 2018 V7 III (see also 'V7's rpm' thread). Twice the rpm's started over-reading, once after fitting new tyres and recalibrating the MGTC - not a serious problem, but annoying. Once the Speedo started under-reading in the middle of a ride by around 20kph which was a problem! Spoke to a reputable dealer who didn't have an answer other that get a new one.
So, if I was up for the cost of repair or a new one, I figured I've nothing to lose by having a go and taking it apart.
Taking the instruments off was easy.
Prying the bezel off CAREFULLY was tricky and took some time. (I think you can buy a fancy tool to hook under and roll around the bezel to 'uncrimp' but I painstakingly used a trusty screwdriver.) Make sure you do it in a dust free environment. I left the bezel crimp with a slightly tight press fit to get back on so it was not loose, but so that I could get it off again easily. I didn't glue the needle - just turned it to the correct location and made sure it was firmly pushed on. I don't know if it was a loose needle or something internally.
Push the glass and bezel back on but did not crimp it tight.
Reassemble and test. If needle is not quite right, just pull the bezel and glass off in-situ (see photos) and readjust the needle until correct.
I have left the bezels as a slight push fit so I can easily get them off again if need be. They stay in place just fine and the rubber seal keeps out water. They've stayed in place for a couple of thousand k's now and not vibrated loose. I check they are still firm every so often when I think of it.
Not the most 'professional' solution, but hey, it worked - and is still working - and saved buying new instruments!
I've never worked out why it happened, a couple of times, in the middle of a ride, but it has been ok for a few thousand k's now. All I can summise is that over time the vibrations (you can see the needle 'shimmering' at some speeds/revs) work the needle loose....?

Attachments

• Inst1.jpg
    Inst1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Inst2.jpg
    Inst2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Inst3.jpg
    Inst3.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 18
Seal is fine
View attachment 29542

What happened to your seal? All that damage.
Seal is fine - as new. Bezel fits snugly as always on the seal - the bezel edge is just not fully crimped over onto the rubber so I can pull it off.
That 'damage' is minor dents - hardly noticeable. The light shadows make it look worse. The previous owner had put a small dent in the ring installing a screen. Can only see them if you look closely.

Back