• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

First oil change V100 at 925 miles .

allenpeter

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT di Razza Pura
Bit of a disappointment to see this much metal on the engine sump drain plug magnet. Waiting for the filter to drain to see how much is in it. The next oil change I will send it off for analysis .
Most folks who take their bikes to the dealer for oil changes will never know what their plugs had on them . Seem way worse on old Vincents
And Norton .

Attachments

• IMG_6269.jpeg
    IMG_6269.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6268.jpeg
    IMG_6268.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 54
Reminds me of a chia pet! You’re right, most won’t see “that!” Hopefully, that’s mostly “new motor” shavings, and the next change won’t be as bad🙏. At least the magnet is doing a fine job!

If you rub the particles between your fingers it’s nothing rough..it’s just like slime... If so, it would not bug me on a new engine..

1500 miles all is well , just one little
Bit of metal and I bet that’s a result of the high idle clucks into first gear.

Attachments

• BC507A41-F95C-4541-B055-32AA4B4EA7F3.jpeg
    BC507A41-F95C-4541-B055-32AA4B4EA7F3.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: BDS
If you rub the particles between your fingers it’s nothing rough..it’s just like slime... If so, it would not bug me on a new engine..
100% correct. Some may not have owned a bike with a wet clutch sharing oil with transmission and motor. With Harley's (3 holes for lubricant) with a primary chain case, a new bike will have a lot of these fuzzy micro metal particles looking like a chia pet because of the magnetic field, because of the metal clutch plates and long primary chain that is bedding in. The seperate Transmission lube is always super clean other than maybe the first change with little if any on the magnet. One can literally wipe it off as you say with a gloved finger and it is only a very fine paste finer than valve lapping compound, which is coming from the steel clutch plates bedding in, thats all. And this will almost go away once everything is bedded in...... Good call.

100% correct. Some may not have owned a bike with a wet clutch sharing oil with transmission and motor. With Harley's (3 holes for lubricant) with a primary chain case, a new bike will have a lot of these fuzzy micro metal particles looking like a chia pet because of the magnetic field, because of the metal clutch plates and long primary chain that is bedding in. The seperate Transmission lube is always super clean other than maybe the first change with little if any on the magnet. One can literally wipe it off as you say with a gloved finger and it is only a very fine paste finer than valve lapping compound, which is coming from the steel clutch plates bedding in, thats all. And this will almost go away once everything is bedded in...... Good call.
I have ridden mostly old English scrap Nortons and Vincents ,so quite used to crap in the oil.

Interesting topic, I used many Japanese bikes in 35 years most bought new, none of them had this magnetic oil plug but I always replaced it after the first service. Never seen metal particles in subsequent oil changes but kind of slime was usual. Guzzi probably uses a stronger and more effective magnet than my chinese replacements which is a good idea and it's obviously proven in photos Allenpeter sent. Running the engine before it gets warm enough to use the oil effectively probably causes the most of these,specially during run in period. Not for to start another endless oil discussion ,but, I think theorically castrol magnatec can be a solution.

I had just a little of the usual fuzz back when I did my oil and filter change at ~925 miles, and a little more at just over 6,000 miles.

Has anyone found an easy way to deal with installing the filter cover plate when replacing the filter ? Seems like that spring is much stiffer than it needs to be, making bolting the cover plate difficult. I had several new OEM filters on hand, and one spring was actually a tiny bit taller, making things almost impossible.

Back