• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fuel consumption reading accuracy

AlanNZ

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
The fuel consumption calculator on my NTX is not very accurate. According to the calculator, I am averaging under 5 litres per 100 kms. According to actual usage, it is more like 5.6 litres per 100 kms. Are these calculators generally that inaccurate?

Also, what range are others getting on a tank of gas (32 litre tank). I am getting about 570 km (354 miles) on a tank including about 150km (93 miles) on reserve (touring at about 120kmh speeds on a variety of mainly open roads). Does that sound about right?

Regards

Alan NZ

Alan,

The average fuel efficiency shown tends to be inaccurate. Whatever the mpg I'm showing on the dash of my 1100 Breva, I find the actual is about 5 mpg higher. The opposite of your situation. As for range, I can't address that on the Stelvio

I've wondered the same thing, my 12 Griso never read an average over about 40 regardless of how I rode it and while still taking it kinda easy on the new Stelvio (only 1k on it) I'm getting readings of 47-50 mpg average. I guess I just need to check it the old fashion way to see how accurate the bikes system is.

Keep in mind, it is a calculated value it is displaying with several assumptions being made in that calculation.
It is assuming the fuel pressure is a set value (I am pretty sure it does not have a sensor to measure the actual fuel pressure) and then it is assuming that the injectors are open for the length of time it tells them to be open. It assumes that the injectors flow a specific amount of fuel per minute while they are open (they will really be in a range) Then it calculates how much fuel would flow out those injectors in that amount of time given the fuel pressure. So really, it is pretty amazing that it is even close given Guzzi's history of poor build tolerances.

Yes, the read-out is fairly optimistic. Mine reads around 5.3 - 5.8 (as low as 4.8 when very gentle) but I have measurde over 6.1 to 6.3 L/100km. This is often two-up with luggage. I usually get about 370km until the light comes on (1 bar left) then ride another 100km safely.

I do have the full GT PCv and AT300 which aims to richen it and make it run nicely - so I am not complaining. It is very sweet to ride.

I had the fuel warning light come on today. It usually does this while the last segment on the fuel gauge is still lit. I usually fill up as soon as I can, but I know I can get at least 50km with the warning lit- I've never pressed it more than see what I actually can get. However today, I was over 50..I'm not exactly how much, but as I pulled into the gas station, the engine stopped and I had to paddle the last 5 meters to the pump. However the tank only took 27.2 litres of fuel. I always set the trip meter on refilling, and it was only at 424km. (avg consumption read 5.3l/100km). Strange that it seemed to be empty but took only 27L. Took a little longer cranking too before it restarted, but was then fine for the next 200km home.
2012 Stelvio, with 32L tank. Is it normal to run 'empty' with apparently 5L left? (that's another 100k!). Has anyone actually put a measured 32L in a tank, or is it short of this for some reason? (maybe 32 includes some air-space in the top of the tank?).
Short of doing more testing, or draining and refilling the tank, I'm puzzled...

Oh.. And 27L @5.3 would be 512km,not the trip meters 424. 27L for 424 is 6.3L/100km. I'm pretty sure I set that trip meter on the last fill, and not since...

Last edited:
The most that I have ever got in my 2012 was 29 litres and it was still running. The last bar disappears with about 4 litres or so left (at least on mine). The most I did was 100km once the light turned on (again got 29 litres in the tank). Should not quit with 5 litres left in the tank. Perhaps it sloshed around and caught a slug of air????

As far as the consumption reading on the computer, I have compared it several times to what I actually put in the tank and come up with the exact same number every time......reading X 1.20. The way I see it, someone in Italy got USgal and Imp Gal mixed up (difference of exactly 20%) and the L/100 were affected in the calculation. When I ride in the USA, I swtich my computer to MPG and the number I get is exactly what I calculate using the fuel quantity and mileage in mile/imp gal. Whether it was supposed to be USgal or Impgal to begin with who knows......

So your average reading of 5.3 was most likely 6.4 (5.3x1.2). At 27.2 litres, 6.4l/100K is 425km.........right on what you rode......To make the math easier when I ride, just add 1 to what ever the computer says...close enough.

Thanks for the feedback. It don't occur to me this was the problem. I recall seeing mention somewhere that the fuel consumption was in US gallons, but didn't worry too much I was moving from UK to Australia. I had expected the Italians would have got it right in liters ! Has anyone ever raised this error with MG? Surely this should be a simple firmware update?

My Norge was very accurate on the U.S. mpg normally within 1 mpg and the bike was pessimistic normally. If I was on twisty hilly back roads where I was shifting more and accelerating/decelerating it got optimistic. Normal was 46 to 48mpg but in those conditions the bike would show over 50 but when checked on fill up it was the normal 46-48. I really miss that mileage and that big 6 gallon tank.
My 1400 Tour is highly pessimistic from the couple times I have checked it. The bike says 38-40mpg but I have seen up to 45 checking it on fill up. It hits the reserve countdown around 135 to 145 miles but it never takes close to the 5.3 gallons it claims to hold. I think I have over 1.5 gallons left when the light comes on.

My 2013 NTX Stelvio's mileage has steadily improved from the mid-30s when brand new to now being between 42-44 consistently. I always check mileage when I fill up. My low fuel light typically comes on on the last bar of the instrument panel gas gauge at around 260-270 miles, depending on riding conditions. The manual says when the light comes on there's still 1.8 gallons in the tank, so I figure worst case I can go 320 miles before the tank is dry… 320 / 40 = 8 gallons (tank is 8.5 gallons).

When I'm getting 42 mpg checking against the tripmeter, the computer's internal calculator is usually saying I'm at like 50 mpg.

I'm about to put an aftermarket exhaust and K&N filter on the bike, so I'm guessing the fuel mileage will go down a bit. We'll see.

When I'm getting 42 mpg checking against the tripmeter, the computer's internal calculator is usually saying I'm at like 50 mpg.

42 X 1.2=50mpg (Imperial)..............you would think that someone in Italy has figured this out and corrected the program.....starting to sound more like a marketing ploy then a mistake........

I've now had the aftermarket pipe and K&N air filter on for about 4 tankfuls and mpg dropped from the 42-44 range to the 40-42 range. I can live with that.

I've now had the aftermarket pipe and K&N air filter on for about 4 tankfuls and mpg dropped from the 42-44 range to the 40-42 range. I can live with that.
Spend money to modify bike, efficiency drops. You can live with that?

In my experience, typically when owners modify the bike, they tend to enjoy the new found power for the first few tankfuls. In my last decade and a half experience of true fueling mods, those willing to do so will yield very favorable results including a cooler running motor, and very enjoyable throttle response and smoothness, often along with a gain in MPGs as the motor makes much more power at lower RPMs. My $.02.

In my experience, typically when owners modify the bike, they tend to enjoy the new found power for the first few tankfuls. In my last decade and a half experience with true fueling mods, those willing to do so will yield very favorable results including a cooler running motor, and very enjoyable throttle response and smoothness, often along with a gain in MPGs as the motor makes much more power at lower RPMs. My $.02.

My 2009 Stelvio will read while on a road trip as high as 38/39mpg while on paper I'm getting as much as 43/44mpg.

Back