• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fuel leak and other observations

RedMandello

Just got it firing!
Picked up my Red Mandello last Friday (in Portland OR).
When the bike was wheeled outside to start and ride, it briefly started then died. Further attempts to start, failed. The battery was low and it seemed to be out of gas. I left the bike there and went to lunch.
Returning a half or so later, the bike had the battery swapped from another V100 and some fuel added. I rode directly to the nearby gas station and filled up.
Rode home (275 miles).
The next day, the garage smelled very strongly of fuel. I was kind of busy that day and didn't get to investigating until later in the day. When I did, I found a small puddle of fuel under the bike. I could also see that it was dripping fuel from just under the right side of the tank.
Trailered the bike back to Portland on Tuesday. In talking to the service guy, he mentioned that MG had seen some bikes with a leaking fuel pump seal and figured that was likely the issue.
When he uncovered the tank, he found that there was a crack in the tank near a mounting tab. He's not sure if it happened during tank manufacture or installation. I haven't heard yet on how long it's going take to get a new tank (are there any in the states?).

Other observations:
I like that engine - very different from the V85TT I test drove.

The side cases are ok, but can be difficult to get locked onto the bike. (The pinion seat locks the side cases). The ignition key works on the side cases.

The key can't be removed unless the case is locked. I'd prefer to be able to decide when I want to lock the case.

The top case uses a separate key.

No luggage liners.

The "Touring" windscreen really isn't much taller than the standard. If you're looking for complete wind coverage, this isn't it. (I'm 5'8").

The engine idle speed is set at 1400rpm. Seems quite fast and results in noticeable lurch when putting into 1st gear.

On the dash there's a Range remaining indicator. When I was riding home, I had looked at occasionally during the ride. I then noticed that it was just showing "--" and no longer indicating range remaining. I also noticed the Trip odometer was incrementing like it just been reset to zero. I wasn't sure what had happened and how much range I have left. I was able to get to a gas station and refill ok. Thinking about it, I concluded that when the tank hits reserve the Range remaining indicator switches to "--" and a special "Reserve Trip odometer" (my verbiage) starts counting. So, instead of a range remaining "guess" it provides an accurate "how far have I traveled in reserve" gauge.
When I got home and was able to read the owner's manual, it only mentions the range remaining gauge.
"Driving in reserve (only when the reserve indicator is on) (displayed in mi or km)." (Page 61) This is from a "02_09/2022" owner's manual edition.

I'll probably get the big socket for the rear wheel. I'd hate to need a tire at a shop that doesn't have such a thing.

All that said, I think I'm still going to like this bike. It's size, weight and performance should make for very good combination.

RedMandello

Reactions: BDS
Ugh, sorry to hear about the fuel pump seal leak. First I’ve heard that one. I hope you can get it sorted quickly. I’m in the same boat - waiting on a rpm sensor that killed my V100S the first day I rode it home. Side note, you can get aftermarket liners from motorbike-passion.eu . It’s a weird feeling, to have a beautiful new bike, and be receiving accessories in the mail (I just received parts for mounting my phone, today!) - but, not be able to mount them, …or ride😕. Better days ahead…

My replies to some of your topics:

Side case removal will be much easier if you just add some grease to the hooks on the bags, I did it and now I can easily attach and remove.

You can remove the key from the bag only when locked to avoid you close the key inside the bags (I saw it happening more than once), it is a sort of safety feature.

Dealer gave me additional lock together with the bike, I modified one of them to use bike key, here a tutorial video on how to do it (sorry, it is in italian)

liners are available from some manufacturers like for instance; motorbike-passion.eu/v100-mandello.html

I agree on touring windscreen

Fuel range and reserve milage count works exactly how you said

....and yes, I also love my Mandello too

after the first official maintenance check (1500km) my V100 white start to leak fuel in the same position of the water leakage shown in pictures of another post. now it is in an official dealer shop for checking and hopefully quick repair. someone else has encountered the same issue? thanks

after the first official maintenance check (1500km) my V100 white start to leak fuel in the same position of the water leakage shown in pictures of another post. now it is in an official dealer shop for checking and hopefully quick repair. someone else has encountered the same issue? thanks
No, but please keep us updated here on what they find.

Hi RedMandello, Just got my V100s and I to noticed the anomaly with the low fuel indicator, same as you describe and different to the manual, I have my 1st service in a couple of weeks so will bring it up with them. My bike came with two barrels for the panniers and I have installed them so now keyed the same as the ignition. I used silicon spray on the pannier mounts and seem fine now.

Hey RedMandello, who did you do delivery with? I've spent almost half the year outside Portland with my 2012 Stelvio since 2013. I used the Guzzi dealer at Sandy Blvd & 105th until it shutdown during covid. If I'm not too short I'll be looking to end up on a V100 Stelvio. I'd rather buy it up in Oregon since Texas has a 6.5% vehicle sales tax rate.

Recently purchased a 2024 Mandello S. Our first Guzzi.

Go into the garage the other morning to an overwhelming smell of fuel. Circle around the bike to find evidence of 2 drips. Watched for a minute or so, sure enough, fuel is dripping from the bike. Took it to the dealer today. Hope this doesn't turn into a PITA.

Recently purchased a 2024 Mandello S. Our first Guzzi.

Go into the garage the other morning to an overwhelming smell of fuel. Circle around the bike to find evidence of 2 drips. Watched for a minute or so, sure enough, fuel is dripping from the bike. Took it to the dealer today. Hope this doesn't turn into a PITA.

Did you read the very first post in this thread? Same exact issue.

Discussed in detail.

Did you read the very first post in this thread? Same exact issue.

Discussed in detail.

Scott, I think he is just making folks aware of another instance of a fuel leak.

Scott, I think he is just making folks aware of another instance of a fuel leak.

Hi John,

I was suggesting he read the first post to familiarize himself with what the OP found out regarding the same issue.

I would think that it would help him confer with the dealer, items to check out.

I honestly have very low confidence in most if the Moto Guzzi mechanics out there nowadays.

Back