• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fuel Mileage.

The GS guys talk about drilling the filler neck to allow a more complete fill-up. Any of that applicable to the Big S?? How would you do it and avoid plastic bits falling into the fuel tank?

Well if that isn't the oddest thing. As I noted before, my fuel economy by the dashboard has always been very poor.
This past weekend I was out for a long all day ride. the dashboard indicated 41.2 MPG, and my math was EXACTLY 41.2 MPG.
I think that is the first time I have seen it over 34 MPG.

So,
either the dashboard gauge self calibrates after a few fill ups.
or, the gauge is calibrated to long rides and sucks wind for short trips.
or, it is related to the higher temperatures we are now having.

Wayne Orwig wrote:
Well if that isn't the oddest thing. As I noted before, my fuel economy by the dashboard has always been very poor.
This past weekend I was out for a long all day ride. the dashboard indicated 41.2 MPG, and my math was EXACTLY 41.2 MPG.
I think that is the first time I have seen it over 34 MPG.

So,
either the dashboard gauge self calibrates after a few fill ups.
or, the gauge is calibrated to long rides and sucks wind for short trips.
or, it is related to the higher temperatures we are now having.

Since the weather in VA has warmed up the last two weeks my fuel milage haas increased greatly. I mostly use my bike for a two up commuter and I have been getting high 30's up until yesterday when I got 40 mpg in 94 deg weather. This is by my trip meter and the gallons at fill up, my average mpg according to the computer was about 12% low.

A couple months ago when I was riding in 55 - 60 deg weather, one up I got 40 mpg by the mileage and the gas fill up but not by the computer, again the computer was off by at least 12%.

I assume the mpg average resets everytime you reset the trip meter, I could be wrong, but I will check tonight.

Yes, average conso gets reset with the rest of the trip meter, but you'd have to experiment if the averages of both trips get reset (are completely independent).

41.2 mpg still seems on the high side (I'd not be happy with it...), but it's probably not impossible to go from 34 to the low 40s simply because of temperature.

RJVB wrote:
Yes, average conso gets reset with the rest of the trip meter, but you'd have to experiment if the averages of both trips get reset (are completely independent).

41.2 mpg still seems on the high side (I'd not be happy with it...), but it's probably not impossible to go from 34 to the low 40s simply because of temperature.

I agree............this bike should easily reach 40 + mpg.

My 06 HD Ultra would get 38 - 39 mpg and that stupid thing weighed 900 pounds, plus the wife and I (and we are not small people).

The Stelvio has a much better power delivery, weighs about 350+ pounds lless and does not work / labor as hard as the HD did going up a hill.

Kurt: what exactly don't you disagree with? That 41.2 mpg is on the high side?

RJVB wrote:
Kurt: what exactly don't you disagree with? That 41.2 mpg is on the high side?

My bad, I need to proof read my text a little better before hitting the send button, I was in a hurry on the way to a meeting. "I agree" with you and I edited my text in the post above.

If I could get 40+ mpg all the time, no matter the temperature, 2 up, back and forth to work at 70 - 80 mph I would be a happy camper.

I just find it hard to believe that my Concours (or as you Europeans call it a GTR 1000) has 1986 technology and gets better fuel mileage 2 up and it has a smaller displacement motor, weighs much more than the Stelvio, has a full faring, a big windshield (like pushing a 4’ x 8' piece of plywood down the road) and it gets better fuel economy.

A closed loop fuel injection system like the Stelvio has should be the cream of the crop in fuel mileage and performance. Yes OAT should and will have a bearing on fuel economy but it should not be as drastic has I have observed since owning this bike (end of March).

I hate the cold weather but I am really interested in what the fuel economy will be this winter in the cold. The bike should have 15K – 20K on it by then and be well broken in, I guess time will tell.

This bike has an engine temp sensor and an air temp sensor. Is the computer using both to calculate pulse width? Maybe we could fool one or the other into leaning out the mixture?? Engine temp sensor need any help to get good contact?

OK Kurt, you bad but no problem and apologies accepted ;)

I'm curious about the tricking the ECU idea ... maybe that would be possible with something like the RapidBike or the similar Hungarian "proxy" between lambda sensor and ECU that somebody showed me yesterday?

Mileage is an animal with weird ways. Anne's scooter ways about 160kg empty, some 80kg less than the Norge's empty weight. I don't think it has a much better Cw value, it has smaller wheels and above all, it's got a tiny 125cc mono-cylinder engine. Riding together on long distances, we empty our tanks at sensibly the same rate. Given that her tank volume is less than half the Norge's tank volume, she must be able to do something like 2.5l/100km :S

The lamda sensor only is functioning at the lower end of the spectrum. Pete and others say it's the top end that's excessively rich. I don't think the Rapidbike would have much effect on that end. Todd's PC-V is probably the most effective way to change overall mapping to date.

Ah, yes, I forgot about that. Well, then we'll just have to hope it's not so rich for cooling purposes...!

(Or, a similar fooling trick might be possible between the TPS and the ECU??)

John in PA wrote:
The lamda sensor only is functioning at the lower end of the spectrum.

From idle to cruising speed. And in reality, that is where almost all of the fuel in consumed.
Those occasions where you spend 30 minutes on a road like Deals Gap and you crank the throttle, apply brakes, crank throttle...repeat 300 times hard... In those few cases you don't care too much that you get 29MPG.

I only know I am happier now that ???? changed. I'm even seeing 36 MPG on my commute. That is very typical for all bikes with red lights and slow moving soccer moms.

John in PA wrote:
This bike has an engine temp sensor and an air temp sensor. Is the computer using both to calculate pulse width? Maybe we could fool one or the other into leaning out the mixture?? Engine temp sensor need any help to get good contact?

John

John

The computer uses engine temperature, air temperature, barometric pressure, RPM, and throttle position to calculate pulse width. In the lower RPM range, feedback from the Lambda sensor is also used.

The engine temperature sensor does benefit from help. Disconnect, remove and place thermal compound between the sensor and holder, and if the holder will remove easily (fragile and prone to breakage) the holder and the cylinder. There is a thread on the board somewhere.

Available in the US here http://www.grainger.com/1/1/73721-virgi ... -8-oz.html

The engine temp sensor is high reistance when cold. And when the engine is cold, the ECU will richen up the mixture. So a resistor in parallel with the sensor, of maybe about 20k ohms, would tell the ECU that the engine is a little warmer. It would have no effect when the engine is hot.
There is also the air temp sensor, in the air box.
Again,when the air is cold and more dense, the ECU will richen the mixture, as there is more air going in. Do the same trick, and again you would see slightly weaker running or at least the consumption not going up so much in cold weather.

Well, I have found I average about 42mpg on average w/ my 03 California Stone on trips clippin along as high as 80mph. Something to keep in mind is the wonderful Ethanol, that too does have an effect on the numbers. It sounds like there might be some technical difficulty. Is the enrichener cable off, is it setup correctly. I am new to the Guzzi world but I do know I recently ran up To Vt. form Ct. doin 85-90mph in a pack and when I filled I had .24 gallons left, wow, esp w/ a busted wonderful MG speedo w/ no tripometer, odometer functions, guessing how far l had travelled.

ar15gator wrote:
Well, I have found I average about 42mpg on average w/ my 03 California Stone on trips clippin along as high as 80mph. Something to keep in mind is the wonderful Ethanol, that too does have an effect on the numbers. It sounds like there might be some technical difficulty. Is the enrichener cable off, is it setup correctly. I am new to the Guzzi world but I do know I recently ran up To Vt. form Ct. doin 85-90mph in a pack and when I filled I had .24 gallons left, wow, esp w/ a busted wonderful MG speedo w/ no tripometer, odometer functions, guessing how far l had travelled.

No throttle advance lever (cold start lever) on the newer bikes. Idle control is in the hands of the computer, cold or otherwise.
Ethanol mix decreases mileage efficiency about 10%. So you use 10% more fuel to get from point A to Point B, thereby negating all the supposed advantages, while reaping all the disadvantages. Some plan for saving the earth, huh??

ar15gator wrote:
Is the enrichener cable off, is it setup correctly.

No such thing on a Guzzi for over 12 years.
The bikes in that time that do have a lever, it is just an idle speed increaser.

I have noticed a big change in the last couple of months. I am now getting about 36-37MPG in traffic, and around 45MPG for normal riding. About 48 MPG on one trip.

I also did a 'blast down the highway at 'hyper legal' speeds and that is when it hurts the fuel economy the most at 34MPG or so.

Anyway, now my fuel economy is very close to the actual numbers on the dashboard.

I don't know if the change is due to break in miles, gasoline formula changes, or the hot weather, or all the above, but it is better.

Wayne Orwig wrote:
I have noticed a big change in the last couple of months. I am now getting about 36-37MPG in traffic, and around 45MPG for normal riding. About 48 MPG on one trip.

I also did a 'blast down the highway at 'hyper legal' speeds and that is when it hurts the fuel economy the most at 34MPG or so.

Anyway, now my fuel economy is very close to the actual numbers on the dashboard.

I don't know if the change is due to break in miles, gasoline formula changes, or the hot weather, or all the above, but it is better.

Wayne,

Since the VA State Rally I have been averaging anywhere from 35 - 48 mpg. I think the miles, outside air temps, what I am hauling weight wise and speed has a lot to do with the equation. I spent the last 6 days riding around the WV mountains at speeds of 25 - 60 mph and averaged 42 - 48 mpg depending on the "hot rod factor". Two up back and forth to work on the highway at 75 - 80 mph I am still in the 35 - 36 mpg range.

The bike just rolled over 6,000 miles, rear tire was toast at 5,600 miles and I replaced it with a Z6.

I am having a cold start condition that no one can figure out. Frost Bite in Canada was having the same problem and his dealer replaced his plugs and the problem disappeared. I am having issues with spending $60 for two plugs (what my dealer wants for them) and the bike only has 6,000 miles on the clock. My NGK's in my Kawasaki Concours have 60K miles on them and 145K on the clock with no issues. The dealer has hooked the bike up to the Axone and said there are no codes and the TPS are set correctly, but the bike will not stay running when first started in the morning with an OAT of 65 - 70 degs F. Once I hit the starter again the bike will start and idle, just won't take any fuel until it warms up. Puzzling ?!?!?!

Stepper motor , engine temp sensor, lambda/O2 sensor or even fuel pump issue?

What plugs are those that they're that expensive?? Anyway, if there's a documentable issue with a bike under warranty, and changing an apparently good part remedies it, shouldn't that be covered under the warranty?!

Back