• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso 1200 8v revving issues

judge9554

Just got it firing!
I just purchased a 2009 Griso 1200 8V that has 1400km on it. The bike sat for a few years and I expected it to run a little off because it sat for so long. I siphoned the fuel in it and put some fuel injector cleaner with fresh gas. After 4 tanks of gas and a few hundred km I am still having the following issues;

The biggest one is it wont rev past 6500-7000rpm. The stock rev limiter was bumped to 7800rpm so its not that. When you rev up between 6500-7000rpm's the bike just doesn't want to rev anymore. No lights or anything. Like a weightlifter who can't lift anymore. It doesn't cut out like a rev limiter, it just doesn't go any higher. I have never heard of this with any other bike.

The bike runs hard everywhere and no surging except some slight surging under 3000 rpm.
It idles a little rough with dips every 15-20 seconds or so in rpm. The bike sounds like a Guzzi and the valves sound perfect.

The recall has been done for the tappets,etc. I checked the ECU codes 12425 and everything is normal.

I don't understand why a bike would not rev past a certain rpm????

so I took the airbox cover off and the filter looks new. Looked inside and all seems well and not plugged.

I did notice , however, that at right rear on the top of the airbox is a clip holding a blue and green wire. The blue and green wire had a white connector but it wasn't connected to anything! I couldn't find it's male counterpart to connect to it and I am not sure if it's supposed to be like that.

Maybe it is related?

judge9554 said:
I did notice , however, that at right rear on the top of the airbox is a clip holding a blue and green wire. The blue and green wire had a white connector but it wasn't connected to anything! I couldn't find it's male counterpart to connect to it and I am not sure if it's supposed to be like that.

Maybe it is related?

Not related. These bike have several connectors in the harness that aren't used. If you take a look at Carl's schematic for the bike you may find out.

It might need a map upgrade - several (2 or 3) have been released for the Griso. The "Rev Limiter" is actually a Shift Indicator and just reminds you to change gear.

Oz1200Guzzi said:
It might need a map upgrade - several (2 or 3) have been released for the Griso. The "Rev Limiter" is actually a Shift Indicator and just reminds you to change gear.

Tony,

These bikes have both the shift indicator (dash operated), and a limiter build into the ECU software.

Agreed John! However my 1200 Sport (2 valve) is still pulling strong over 8000 rpm - even though the shift light is already on, and has no effect on limiting revs. It would never do this on the original map, and it wasn't until I visited Mr Roper that the bike worked properly, right after a map upgrade.

I don't know what the ECU induced rev limiter is set to on mine but I haven't found it yet...

Just putting it out there.

This sounds like a fuel/flow problem for sure. Perhaps a clogged muffler/cat-con if not the air box? Intake leak causing a severe lean condition perhaps? I would take it to someone knowledgable with the software to be sure nothing is dangerously amiss.

Oz1200Guzzi said:
Agreed John! However my 1200 Sport (2 valve) is still pulling strong over 8000 rpm. I don't know what the ECU induced rev limiter is set to on mine but I haven't found it yet... Just putting it out there.
The stock ECU 2V motor rev limit is soft at 8300 RPM and shut down at 8400 RPM.

Tks for the replies. I need to bring it in but the dealer here in Ottawa just took over the guzzi line a month ago. They dont have the diagnostic tool as it broke and shipped back to Italy...sheesh

Even if they did, they are Guzzi virgins and dont know the line yet. Who around here knows guzzis good enough? Maybe in Montreal? Moto Internationale, I dont know.

I also want to be able to work on her myself and not rely on dealers. Thats part of the fun of guzzi ownership so I was thinking of purchasing my own tool. I keep reading 068 map but I need direction here. Todd your name keeps popping up maybe you can help me if I go this route.

Thanks

Dan

If there are no errors showing it is almost certainly 'Physical' rather than electronic.

Are the plug caps damaged allowing he spark to jump to earth?

Has the Cat come loose in the muffler?

Is the fuel rail kinked or the filter clogged?

Look for something dumbfuck stupid before trying to seek a complicated sollution to a 'Difficult' problem.

Betcha it'll be something irritating but dull. :lol:

Pete

judge9554 said:
I just purchased a 2009 Griso 1200 8V that has 1400km on it.

I was looking at that bike and was supposed to get back to me on the cam recall. Maybe it was a good thing. If you want to get rid of it cheap now ;)

Took exhaust off. Nothing loose in it. Nothing in air box. Looks new and unobstructed.

Check fuel lines and none are kinked or jammed. Pulled gas tank off and gonna look at replacing the fuel filter inside.

hope the fuel filter is it :roll:

oh..I pulled the covers for the spark plug wires and they look undamaged. However, the left side had lots of surface rust around the plug hole.

plugs looked a little white but its kinda a new bike but still looked lean. I am gonna button her back up and bring her over to corsamichanica in Toronto. I hear their the best (and only) true Guzzi dealership that can properly work on her.

468km away but oh we'll! Its worth it

D

Sorry to Drag this out of the Ether, but was wondering if you ever got this straightened out? I am having this exact problem, as is another friend, both with the 8V motor.

Bueller? Bueller? lol............ I'd love to get this issue sorted out before I put the bike in Storage next month for my 7 month all expense paid trip to a fun and exciting destination.....

I don't think the OP has been back.
I would start with what Pete suggested and go from there. I don't think Pete will be back, either. But as Pete suggested, usually in the end these issues turn out to be basic and boring.

I don't think the OP has been back.
I would start with what Pete suggested and go from there. I don't think Pete will be back, either. But as Pete suggested, usually in the end these issues turn out to be basic and boring.

Thanks, have talked with Pete, so far no clear solution to this somewhat rare problem. There have been one or two that happened as a result of the cam being off a tooth when rollerized, but that is not likely this issue as this has been a problem from almost new.

Does it do it all gears.

I find it strange that both yours and your friends to the exact same thing. Any map updates that you both shared. R u running a stock map?

If not a map fueling issue could be fuel supply. Either a filter or venting issue or a pump issue. It is a strange one. I will give it that.

Back