• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzi Mandello Update

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
From Alex/CasaLambretta:
Monday there was a big meeting between the Piaggio brass and local politicians and the union from Mandello and Lecco... there have been a couple of days of newspaper articles in Italy since, the first wave declared that Piaggio promised to everyone at the meeting in Milan that they wouldn't move the production away from Mandello, ever, and that they are pouring millions into revamping the factory.

The second wave of articles from yesterday talked about the unions being happy but still leery until they see the actual renovations start..still, everyone, even the skeptics, seem to believe Piaggio this time.

Alex will be linking me to the Newspaper articles tomorrow.

First off, here's an ACEM article about the PTW industry and the crisis. Nothing Guzzi specific (though the Italian <60kW incentive may apply to most Guzzis?), but interesting figures.

Good news, Todd. However, latest news I have from Mandello is that the factory is again on "technical unemployment" (temporarily closed for lack of business) until August 31st. And apparently the fact that there are still 2006 model Norges being sold isn't taken as a very positive sign (?!).

Moto Guzzi to remain home, the factory stays

From; http://www.ilgiornale.it/a.pic1?ID=368122

Translated:
The 150 Moto Guzzi employees in Mandello del Lario, small town in the Lecco region, can breath a big sign of relief because the Piaggio group has decided neither to end or move production from the historic 1921 factory. The assurances arrived from Giancarlo Milianti (Piaggio personnel director) and Francesco Delzio (director of professional relations) during a meeting in Milan with Daniele Nava (president of the Region of Lecco) and Riccardo Mariani (Mandello's Mayor).
He was the first citizen to sound the alarm concerning the future of Italy's "Made-in-Italy" cornerstones. "Today I wouldn't talk about victory", explained Mariani, "but we'll accept it as the exclusion of any possibility of the dismantlement of the factory". The relocation away from Mandello would have puzzled guzzisti, as if Ferrari was moved away from Maranello. "It was explained to us, continued the mayor, that Piaggio believes in the territorial value of the name". It wasn't all good news as Piaggio also placed their problems on the table at the meeting "the motorcycle market is at standstill", continues Mariani, "and they will be presenting a production plan on how they plan to get through it". The large bike market in Europe, in fact, has declined 30 percent. Moto Guzzi is not exempt from this decline according to the Piaggio group headed by Roberto Colaninno, we've sold only 6 thousand units compared to the 10 thousand needed to sell in order to break even. In addition, sales forecasts for Guzzi don't look very good for 2010 either. The employees, meanwhile, are all temporarily laid-off and should be back to work in September. "We'll take the good new with a grain of salt", says Mario Venini from Fiom (metalworker's union of Italy), "we are tired of promises and smiles, besides, we've already agreed to a production plan. It included an investment towards modernizing the factory with 12,4 million euro over 5 years starting in August but we haven't seen anything yet."

RJVB wrote:
First off, here's an ACEM article about the PTW industry and the crisis. Nothing Guzzi specific (though the Italian <60kW incentive may apply to most Guzzis?), but interesting figures.

Good news, Todd. However, latest news I have from Mandello is that the factory is again on "technical unemployment" (temporarily closed for lack of business) until August 31st. And apparently the fact that there are still 2006 model Norges being sold isn't taken as a very positive sign (?!).

There are a lot of people in italy who have been on this "technical unemployment".. including the good folks at aprilia,in fact, they've been laid off more times than the Guzzi people have this year.

All of the family i know that's employed in manufacturing has been laid-off at least once this year (in italy), one of them works for a hardware company that makes stainless fittings for the german auto industry.

AlexM

Same here in France, btw. It's an "accepted" measure in times of crisis. I suppose it makes sense ... though I presume that in high summer, employees would have preferred paid holidays ;)

Can you confirm/infirm if people on technical unemployment get unemployment money, and where that money comes from?

Isn't August, which is a week away as I write this the traditional shutdown month for most of Europe ? I would be in a holding pattern until September before jumping to any conclusions, from what I have read lately it doesn't sound all doom and gloom.

The holiday is very Italian, which revolves around the 15th of August (aka Ferragosto).. dating back to Ottaviano Augusto (of the Roman Empire) who came up with it to get away from summer heat by heading to the sea or mountains.

It's a paid vacation,I've heard that Fiat inadvertantly turned into a month-long tradition, then automotive support/satellite businesses followed suit and the rest of italy like a deck of cards. July and August are the worst months to take a trip to italy, most businesses, restaurants etc in the big cities are closed down and the resort areas are packed.

AlexM

Back