• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Have question regarding starting on my 2008 Breva Sport

Flat Cap Cafe Racer

Tuned and Synch'ed
I picked the bike used with less than 9000 miles on it. I purchased less than six months ago with a newly installed Xtreme XTAX20CH-BS battery. This battery is an AGM type rated at 12V 18AH with 270 CCA.

I have several bikes so I have battery charger leads on all of them and put them on the appropriate charging mode at least once a week.

The issues was after a couple hours riding and after a stop the bike would not even attempt start. The needles sweep over the idiot lights flashed as normal but nothing when the starter pushed. Checked the kill switch being off, tried it with and without the kickstand down, tried with the clutch in, clutch out in neutral.

Removed the seat and checked if the battery wires were tight to the terminals and they were, checked for blown or loose fuses they were okay.

The display was showing 13 to 13.1 volts. Several hours later I came back with trailer and tried it again still nothing as before. Loaded it up and brought home and just before unloading it from the trailer I tried and it started up no problems.

I rolled into the shop and checked the battery with ignition key of and it had 12.85 volts. After placing it on a charger checking the bike with the key off the battery was just of 13.4 volts after two hours.

I thought I'd leave it on the charger overnight and check it tomorrow both with key off and running.

Any guesses to what caused the problem or how to diagnose it further? I'm new to Moto Guzzi and I have not seen the scenario before on any other bikes.

Thanks

IMG 0137

Literally covered a million times.

Please SEARCH keywords: MPH hard start relay starting intermittent failure STARTUS INTERUPTUS

It is actually the 9th sticky thread on the front page of this very BNS12 forum. :D

IF you already have the MPH Hard start relay, then modern AGM batteries just plain suck. Load Test the battery. It will almost certainly fail. SEARCH Load test battery.

👍👌✌️

Last edited:
Another possibility that I have encountered with an AGM battery is corrosion on the battery connections. You won't get enough current flow to activate the system. It may look clean, but it isn't. Remove the cables at the battery and clean the connections points with a wire brush or sand paper.

There are literally very very few "new" issues on the older motorcycles. Just about literally anything you can experience, has been covered in detail here and you can easily and quickly find information on your topic of interest with the SEARCH function. Then, if after searching and if you still find nothing or need new input, then by all means, make a new thread topic and get some new help and add to the knowledge base here.

Hope you find your particular cause. Please post back the solution and the outcome. People often fail to do this and that is the most important part. Validation of the same outcome as others.

👌👍✌️

It's the first mod you should do to any older Breva/Norge/Sport. 2 owners had walked away from my Breva when I got it 10 years ago.
It stranded me 4 times in the first year. After the mod (MPH), it never re-occured.

I should say thank you but I don't want to get you any crankier. I am thinking you were a hall monitor....just guessing. 😄😄😄

You're welcome.

It's fricking amazing how "Please SEARCH keywords" gets branded as "cranky" and "a hall monitor". :banghead:

It's not cranky. It's merely sharing with you, the often repeated message of the owner of the site, Todd (GTM), who has stated that he does not wish to rehash the same thing ad nauseam in a new thread for every single person who bops in with a question, because both the resulting chaos logistically and the physical size of the forum would literally grow exponentially.

To you it's a brand new problem with your motorcycle. To GuzziTech, you're just the latest in a very long stream of people with the same problem who started another thread of something covered completely, because they didn't read the rotating screens at the top above those 4 dots ....

Todd (GTM) pays for all of the hosting and expenses of operating Guzzi Tech. He doesn't want to pay to have multiple threads of the same problem, same answer. So, we try to help him in his goal. That's all. :mask:

The MPH starter relay fix worked perfectly on my 2007 Norge. I hope they're still in business

mphcycles.com/starter-relay-fix-kit/

There is a lot of Moto Guzzi "Big Block" info (mostly 2-valve head type) - including "Startus Interruptus" in this on-line text file that I used to maintain. I do not do so anymore but what's there is useful. Here is the link:

dansher.com/bikepix/Guzzi/Norge1200/Norge_2007_fyi.txt

Back