• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Idle up a bit after V7 850 valve adjustment

Farilpieno57

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I just did my 6,200 mile valve adjustment. All were too tight except the exhaust on the left cylinder. After adjusting the idle speed is up a bit. It used to alternate between 1 and 2 bars above 1,000 RPM, and now it shows 2 bars above 1,000 RPM. It was too late to go for a test ride, but it seems to rev fine.

I know there's not a manual idle adjustment so I'm not sure I need to do anything or should I not worry about it?

I had the dealer perform the initial valve adjustment and oil change at 900 miles, and just notice on the work order that they replaced the valve cover gaskets and the valve cover bolt grommets. Is this supposed to be done each valve adjustment? The GTM vid for the V7 III says the gaskets are reusable, and it appears from my dealer's fitment guide the V7 850 uses the same gaskets. And since they looked perfect it didn't appear they should be replaced.

I had the dealer perform the initial valve adjustment and oil change at 900 miles, and just notice on the work order that they replaced the valve cover gaskets and the valve cover bolt grommets. Is this supposed to be done each valve adjustment? The GTM vid for the V7 III says the gaskets are reusable, and it appears from my dealer's fitment guide the V7 850 uses the same gaskets. And since they looked perfect it didn't appear they should be replaced.
I've replaced the valve cover gaskets at each service, but mostly because they're included in the maintenance kit from Cadre Cycle. I just completed my 18.6k miles service and have yet to replace the cover bolt grommets. They seem fine, not leaking or dried out. I don't believe the service manual mentions specifically replacing them, it just says to inspect.

I've replaced the valve cover gaskets at each service, but mostly because they're included in the maintenance kit from Cadre Cycle. I just completed my 18.6k miles service and have yet to replace the cover bolt grommets. They seem fine, not leaking or dried out. I don't believe the service manual mentions specifically replacing them, it just says to inspect.
Thanks DK. Have you found your valves needed adjustment at each service? On my '22 Stone, with the exception of the left cylinder exhaust, the others had tightened considerably. In fact, both intake valves had almost no gap.

Thanks DK. Have you found your valves needed adjustment at each service? On my '22 Stone, with the exception of the left cylinder exhaust, the others had tightened considerably. In fact, both intake valves had almost no gap
Yes, they have needed adjusting at each service. Nothing of concern, though. They are usually all very close to spec, if needing any adjustment at all. I'd say at least one valve, maybe two will have remained in spec. I will usually redo all of them anyway just for peace of mind.

Farilpieno57, Valve cover gaskets are relatively cheap to replace so rather than re use the old ones with the chance of a disgruntled customer coming back complaining of an oil leak its cheap insurance for the dealer. If you do the job yourself you can re use them as your can take your time and be very careful removing them.

I just did my 6,200 mile valve adjustment. All were too tight except the exhaust on the left cylinder. After adjusting the idle speed is up a bit. It used to alternate between 1 and 2 bars above 1,000 RPM, and now it shows 2 bars above 1,000 RPM. It was too late to go for a test ride, but it seems to rev fine.
I know there's not a manual idle adjustment so I'm not sure I need to do anything or should I not worry about it?
Tight valves cause low idle (and worse). ECU is programed to idle @ ~1300 RPM temp depending. No adjustment available to the owner. Higher air temps bring higher idle.
Rubber valve cover gaskets don't need to be touched until they leak. Good way for a dealer to move inventory though.

@DK90 - you are aware my shop is just up the 55 in Orange, yes? Not sure if we've traded email or not.

Tight valves cause low idle (and worse). ECU is programed to idle @ ~1300 RPM temp depending. No adjustment available to the owner. Higher air temps bring higher idle.
Rubber valve cover gaskets don't need to be touched until they leak. Good way for a dealer to move inventory though.

@DK90 - you are aware my shop is just up the 55 in Orange, yes? Not sure if we've traded email or not.
Hi Todd, yes we have traded emails several times. I purchased some Bitubo shocks and a couple other small items recently and I've been to your shop. I usually do the routine fluid changes and valves myself, as I enjoy it. I was not aware you sold all the necessary items for routine maintenance, but I am more than happy to buy it from you if you stock it. I'm usually pretty good about browsing the store tab before I look elsewhere. Mostly referring to consumables like oil and air filters, washers, plugs, etc.

Hi Todd, yes we have traded emails several times. I purchased some Bitubo shocks and a couple other small items recently and I've been to your shop. I usually do the routine fluid changes and valves myself, as I enjoy it. I was not aware you sold all the necessary items for routine maintenance, but I am more than happy to buy it from you if you stock it. I'm usually pretty good about browsing the store tab before I look elsewhere. Mostly referring to consumables like oil and air filters, washers, plugs, etc.
Very good, thought so, thanks. I don't keep the basic items on the Store outside of the filters now, linked below. However, we stock most everything these days for the small blocks and CARC bikes. I have a few things in for the V100 in the Store as well.

Thanks Todd, good to know. I also found GTM's YouTube vid on performing the valve adjustment and oil change very helpful.

It has been my experience of pushrod ohv engines (50+ years of successful home spannering on all pretty well all types of motor) that cumulative wear on various parts of the valve gear generally tends to loosen valve clearances, especially in the first few thousand bedding in miles.

When I checked the valves on my V7 850 Special (which had gradually become louder), three were slightly loose and one in spec. I consider this to be normal for this type of engine.

I reused gaskets and seals. The air-oil cooled Triumph Thruxton I owned and serviced for several years had a similar arrangement regarding valve covers and so did my oilhead Beemers. I never needed replacements on any of them. I don’t expect to on my Special either until they age-harden. I take my time to ensure that damage is avoided.

I'm doing the first valve adjustment in the morning, is the euro spec .005 intake and .007 exhaust for a 2023 V7 850 E5 Special the way to go? Thanks.

DId you get the vid through GTM Store?

DId you get the vid through GTM Store?
On GTM's YouTube channel, but it is on a V7III. I think they did the euro spec. When I get the SAS and UpMap... I believe Todd's map is set up for those mods as well as the tip/canister delete.

Back