• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Idle up a bit after V7 850 valve adjustment

It is my belief that is correct, based on what I've read on the forums. I have done both and have broken the seal on my UpMap last night. Before I fiddle with too much more, I need to ensure valve gap is properly set, then, based on the tutorial that is posted, along with Q&A, the mapping appears straight forward (appears). This is my first Guzzi and first injected bike, so it's completely foreign ground.

I've done a few on older bikes. I like to run them between US and Euro spec until I install all of the GTM mapped mods.

I did .006 int. and .008 exh. this morning and she runs great. Super tight from the factory, I could barely get a .003 in either. Also left side front plug cover bolt was stripped.

IMG 4207 IMG 4208

Last edited:
Thanks for the info & pics.
(Stripped bolts from the factory don't sound very good. As long as it's just the bolt, I guess )
I''ll probably give the .006in and .008ex a whirl, unless I can find more exacting info.

The book and under seat sticker shows this but do you set to this? if so how much noise does it produce.

Attachments

• IMG_4259.jpeg
    IMG_4259.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 10
The book and under seat sticker shows this but do you set to this? if so how much noise does it produce.

Vagrant caught your photo. You are wrong as he says.

IMG 0646

You need to set this exact.

You are supposed to hear the rocker arm ticking noise. If you don’t, you are damaging your engine.

Last edited:
No, your book doesn't show that.
It shows .10 of a millimeter or 4 thousands for intake and .15 MM or 6 thousands for exhaust!
In addition, anytime you have to move a valve setting more than a tiny amount (.002) you are doing something very wrong!

The sticker under the seat... Is my feeler gauge wrong?
Ps I've done this on my other 2 valve 850 and 1100's and know they make noise. 😎 I set this V7 850 at 6mm and 8mm as shown previously and yes they make some noise. Thanks.

IMG 4272 IMG 4259

You need to learn how to read a feeler gauge. The upper number is in thousands of an inch, the lower number (closest to the knurled knob) is metric. Using the gauges you show, the bike will make a rear racket as the gaps are way too big. You are definitely confused on the metric system as 6mm and 8mm are nut sizes. Look at an 8mm wrench and you will see what I mean. To set you valves correctly, the intake should be 0.004 inch, and the exhaust 0.006 inch.

The sticker under the seat... Is my feeler gauge wrong?
Ps I've done this on my other 2 valve 850 and 1100's and know they make noise. 😎 I set this V7 850 at 6mm and 8mm as shown previously and yes they make some noise. Thanks.

View attachment 35257View attachment 35258

Please, open your eyes and look carefully.

I cannot see how you could have successfully done this in the past on other motorcycles as you are obviously very confused at the specifications, the metric system, and most certainly at decimals. Even Vagrant made errors in the nomenclature he wrote to you so no need to fret, it happens.

Please let me help you.

Your feeler gauge on the left is 0.015 mm (15 thousandths of a millimeter) and the one on the right is 0.010 mm (10 thousandths of a millimeter). These are wrong!

The sticker calls for 0.10 mm (ten hundredths of a millimeter) and 0.15 mm (fifteen hundredths of a millimeter)

Write the two values on paper. The digits ARE NOT the same!

0.015 vs 0.15

0.010 vs 0.10
—————————-

In the English system:

Your feeler gauge on the left is 0.381 inch (381 thousandths of an inch) and the one on the right is 0.254 inch (254 thousandths of an inch).

Again, these are wrong!

The sticker calls for 0.0039 inch (thirty-nine ten-thousandths of an inch) and 0.0059 inch (fifty-nine ten-thousandths of an inch).

0.381 vs 0.0039

0.254 vs 0.0059
——————————-

John Zibell has rounded the English numbers for you as it then is expressed verbally, in the standards that mechanics and machinists use:

“To set you valves correctly, the intake should be 0.004 inch, and the exhaust 0.006 inch.”

Mechanics and machinists would say “four-thousandths and six-thousandths of an inch”

So,

0.004 is what you get when you round up 0.0039
0.006 is what you get when you round up 0.0059

These sentences are spoken as:

4 thousandths is what you get when you round up thirty-nine ten-thousandths

6 thousandths is what you get when you round up fifty-nine ten-thousandths
———————————-

Decimal positions EXPLAINED:

0.ABCDE

A is the tenths position
B is the hundredths position
C is the thousandths position
D is the ten-thouusandths position
E is the hundred-thousandths position

To verbally express any decimal value, count the number of digits written to the right of the decimal point.

So 0.004 has 3 digits to the right of the decimal point.

Following the above ABCDE position nomenclature, this is the thousandths position.

So you say that as “4 thousandths of an inch”.

The sticker reads 0.0039 which has 4 digits to the right of the decimal point.

Again, following the above ABCDE position nomenclature, this is the ten-thousandths position.

So you have 39 ten-thousandths of an inch.

What you need to remember is the position of the last digit on the right, gives you the unit expression nomenclature i.e. tenths, hundredths, thousandths, ten-thousandths, etc.

——————-

To tie it all together using John’s rounding and the position nomenclature of speaking decimals.

0.0039 inch ~ 0.004 inch

“39 ten-thousandths of an inch”

is approximately. (~)

“4 thousandths of an inch”

—————

they only differ by

0.0001 inch

one ten-thousandths of an inch
—————

The same number, 0.1 can be expressed in many ways

0.1 one tenth of…
0.10 ten hundredths of…
0.100 one hundred thousandths of…
0.1000 one thousand ten-thousandths of…

All of those values are the same and are all correct but it is customary to drop any zeros to the very right, and use the lower spoken version.

i.e. Nobody says “ten hundreths of…” they say “one tenth of…”

So now you know everything about decimals and what your sticker actually says!

I hope this has been very helpful to you as it took a great amount of time and effort to give it to you.

Best wishes!

👌👍😁

Last edited:
Back