• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Jumpstart / bumpstart possible???

Gazdok

Cruisin' Guzzisti
At work this evening my bike battery was flat. When pressing the starter button I only got a tired "clack" but no startermotor action.
Bumpstarting down a little hill did not work either. The display read 11.6V quickly dropping on start attempts.
This hill was long enough to start my old bike in the past. Do Brevas and the likes not respond to bumpstarting attempts anymore? Is it the electronics prohibiting this or was it me??

Then jumpstarting with jump leads did not work either. What a feeling to go onto a relay truck.

There was something similar came up on WG a while back.

The consensus was bump starting an FI bike can be hit and miss and generally not a good idea. The CPU might get damaged with the spike when you bump it, I also believe others stated that the CPU has a serious dislike of low voltage too. If the battery is seriously low you may also not have enough Oomph to get the fuel pump going.

My preference would be to jump it by connecting to a running truck or car (12V neg earth of course) with your bike ignition off. Once connected then turn on the ignition. I can not think of a reason a jump would not work unless the bike battery was almost dead flat. You might also find that the bike dies after you disconnect the jump leads again if the battery is seriously flat, if so leave it connected for a few minutes.

This is what I have done in the past without issue, others with different (or more) experience may say otherwise.

It also knocks 6 bells out your battery and should be considered a last resort. By far the best idea if possible is to charge the battery on a suitable charger but sometimes we just don't have the luxury

John

Old Jock said:

The consensus was bump starting an FI bike can be hit and miss and generally not a good idea. The CPU might get damaged with the spike when you bump it, I also believe others stated that the CPU has a serious dislike of low voltage too. If the battery is seriously low you may also not have enough Oomph to get the fuel pump going.

It also knocks 6 bells out your battery and should be considered a last resort. By far the best idea if possible is to charge the battery on a suitable charger but sometimes we just don't have the luxury

John

Yes, tho the "6 bells" has me scratching my head.

Also assuming the problem isn't related to the Startus Interruptus thread(s) that have treated that particular issue at length.

My Norge (and my brother's B11) both suffered from the mandello brain-cramp design that led non-starts, especially when hot. I can assure you that my Norge and brother's Breva (and respective batteries) survived bumpstarting, even with low voltages. That said, not sure if there are different numbers that prevent ordinary starter v. bump starting.

FWIW, as I said on w/g, bumpstarting can ask lots of friends. :lol:

Attachments

• Pushing Norway.jpg
    Pushing Norway.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 458
Bill Hagan said:
Old Jock said:

John

Yes, tho the "6 bells" has me scratching my head.

Also assuming the problem isn't related to the Startus Interruptus thread(s) that have treated that particular issue at length.

My Norge (and my brother's B11) both suffered from the mandello brain-cramp design that led non-starts, especially when hot. I can assure you that my Norge and brother's Breva (and respective batteries) survived bumpstarting, even with low voltages. That said, not sure if there are different numbers that prevent ordinary starter v. bump starting.

FWIW, as I said on w/g, bumpstarting can ask lots of friends. :lol:
Bill did you select 2. or even 3. gear and roll downhill and let go of the clutch? No other magic words uttered?

Bill Hagan said:
FGS, John, you may leave in subtropical Alabama, but those of us on the tundra don't mind chewing cud this time of year. :p

Bill

+1 !

Chuck

misterg said:
Bill Hagan said:
FGS, John, you may leave in subtropical Alabama, but those of us on the tundra don't mind chewing cud this time of year. :p

Bill

+1 !

Chuck

Just noted my "leave" for "live" in that post. Probably something subliminal where I was dreaming about leaving here and living in the south again. It's not even winter here for a few days, and I'm already depressed. Will say that it's an odd thing to find that, after a day with an 7F low, how balmy 35F feels. :blink:

Bill

I probably, well I did overstate the case regarding not being good for the battery. Mea Culpa :oops:

My point was flattening a battery does it no good at all and then whacking a socking great current through it to bring it back to life is also not very conducive to the overall long term health of the poor wee thing.

A smaller charge over a longer period would be better for it.

Of course then there are AGMs which if totally flattened do require a whack with a larger current to bring them back, but let's not go there :roll:

If its only as an emergency measure, jumping it should be fine.

John

Back