• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Koni shocks

pizza for you

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I'm waiting for a few parts to finish my engine on my 1975 850T so I turned my attention to the frame and suspension. Forks are almost done so I pulled the shocks down off the shelf tonight where they have been sitting for 18 years when I started this project. Much to my surprise I discovered they were Koni shocks. My question is should I rebuild the shocks if parts are available or opt for new shocks. The old T handled very well for it's age ( at least I thought ) The numbers on the shocks as I see them through the springs are 76 F 1297 8-71. Chrome on the shafts seem to be in good shape with no visible rust and seals don't appear to be leaking either. Anyone have experience with Koni shocks ?
Shocks

Koni automobile shocks of your vintage are rebuildable but I imagine you could find as good or better replacements in today’s market for less. People who rebuild shocks are usually restoring for reasons of authenticity, not performance.

Koni 7610 adjustable damping shocks came as original equipment on my 1990 LeMans. They are a good shock, but Todd has better units available in the store. Use the contact tab in the Store to ask which units would be appropriate. Today Ikon is making the Koni type shock. I'm not positive if parts on your shocks are interchangeable with Ikon parts.

As John mentions, Koni's motorcycle shock division was sold off to a company in Australia and renamed Ikon. I contacted them once about rebuild parts for the vintage 76 series and the answer was a firm "no parts are available". There may be another source, but I haven't found it.

I've had good luck reusing them without rebuilding (assuming no leaks and undamaged damper rod). That series of Konis has internally adjustable damping. The springs and bump stop are removed, the damper fully compressed, then the shaft turned to click through the damping settings. Details can be found in the factory V7 Sport workshop manual. If they've been laying horizontally on a shelf for a long period of time, you may need to remove the springs, clamp the dampers into a vise, and cycle the damper rod in and out to "wake up" the damping action.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will do as you say Charlie. I will need to get a spring compressor to do that. As I look more at the shocks I see the words sens-reglage heavy turn. Is it possible to change the shock oil? I looked for new shocks in the store but did not see Ikons. I might end up just buying new shocks I'm not sure. May just throw the the Konis in the trash bin if no rebuild kits are available. While on the subject of suspension I found the fork caps and wondered if maybe the old T was upgraded with Lemans or V7 sport suspension.
100 0035

Last edited:
That printing designates which way to turn the fully compressed damper rod in order to make the damping more firm. To change the oil, you'd need to remove the top cap - if I remember correctly that requires a pin spanner.

I would not throw the Koni in the "trash bin". They may be worth a few $$ if put on ebay, I'd be interested in them myself if nothing else.

The air adjustable Sebac dampers aren't exactly an upgrade IMO, but yes, it does appear that your T has been fitted with them. The V7 Sport didn't use them, and IIRC the 850 Le Mans didn't have a balance tube. Possibly from a Le Mans III or Mille GT.

Thanks for the information Charlie. I will keep you in mind if I decide to not use the Koni shocks.

Keep them and use them and then decide . Koni was never a bad name in motorcycle shocks !
Different and newer is no guarantee of better . I mean really , just how crazy are you going to be
riding a T-3 ? Peter

I once started with Koni's on a 850T5. After 20 years on a shelf they still performed well.
The typology (numbers-codes) of IKON is identical to that of KONI, so with a catalogue of Ikon you
can determine for what other classic Guzzi's your Koni's are suitable (which might be handy in case you ebay them).

I stripped my Konis to re oil them. Seal kits are available. The biggest problem is undoing the gland nut as you need to use a peg spanner. Other than that its fairly straight forward. I also replaced the original springs for softer ones as Im only about 75kg and originals are definitely on the heavy side.

Where can I find specifications as to how much oil and what weight of oil to use ?

Google Koni rebuild and go to the Zimmerframe Racing site. This is a detailed description of the strip and rebuild procedure including pictures and what viscosity and ammount of oil to use. I have to confess I resorted to mole grips to get the gland nuts moving after all else failed, but they cleaned up nicely. If you work methodically once youve got the gland nuts moving it really is not a difficult job.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Much appreciated. Nice bit of information on the website.

Back