• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Making a 2013 V7 Stone more suitable for longer trips (Bags + Seat)

guzzistaNC

Just got it firing!
Hi All,

I purchased a 2013 V7 about a year ago with very few miles on it. It's my first "adult" bike and I love it; also, coming from a long line of Guzzisti (I was 18 when I rode in the back of my dad's California to Mandello for the 90th), I had to get a Guzzi.
Last summer the missus and I moved from the West Coast to NC, and towed the bike in an enclosed trailer. Along our many stops, we rode the V7 into (and through) Glacier NP, Yellowstone and Badlands. One thing became apparent: the V7, as it's currently set up, is not suited for more than a 40-50 mile ride.

So I decided it's time to invest some money into making it better for the purpose. My current plan is to purchase the following:

- Thicker, more comfortable seat: the Corbin Gunfighter and Lady (corbin.com/motoguzzi/mgv7sgl.shtml) sounds like a good option (and possibly the only one I found)

- Saddle bags: either the SW-MOTECH Legend Gear or the Hepco & Becker C-Bow mount + the Xtravel bags.

- Rear Rack: This Hepco & Becker one since it's much bigger than the OEM Guzzi, which If I understand correctly only holds like 10 lbs.

- Rear Case: not sure what to get really. Could I just adapt a hard case from harbor freight or something along those lines?

I am looking for opinions from folks who have one or more of the items listed. Specifically: Will the corbin seat fit with the Cbow mount and the rack (it looks a lot wider than the stock)? Are those bags any good? Am I overlooking something, like should I get new shocks/springs? Also, of note: the missus will be with me on any long trip, so storage options that occupy the rear portion of the seat are a no-go.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if any of these questions are silly (I'm a complete newbie)

Sebastiano

You are going to love riding in NC! I lived there for a long time. You are close to The Dragon, The Cherohala Skyway, the Blue Ridge Parkway and lots of great roads in the mountains and I'd love to do a ride from Wilmington through the OBX into VA.

I did a couple of 2k mile trips on my V7iii last year. I can't really speak too much about the gear options. I have H&B hard cases. I like being able to lock them and I sit on them around the fire when camping. I chose the Guzzi rear rack because the H&P had a kind of sissy bar above the level of the seat and I wanted a flat surface to strap down gear. I don't use a top case. I strap things down in a dry bag. A seat upgrade is a good call. I'm looking to upgrade my seat this year too. I live near St Louis now. This is from my ride last year up the Mississippi River to its source on the way to the MG rally in Grand Marais MN.

Good luck!

IMG 20210624 180419833

Hi All,

I purchased a 2013 V7 about a year ago with very few miles on it. It's my first "adult" bike and I love it; also, coming from a long line of Guzzisti (I was 18 when I rode in the back of my dad's California to Mandello for the 90th), I had to get a Guzzi.
Last summer the missus and I moved from the West Coast to NC, and towed the bike in an enclosed trailer. Along our many stops, we rode the V7 into (and through) Glacier NP, Yellowstone and Badlands. One thing became apparent: the V7, as it's currently set up, is not suited for more than a 40-50 mile ride.

So I decided it's time to invest some money into making it better for the purpose. My current plan is to purchase the following:

- Thicker, more comfortable seat: the Corbin Gunfighter and Lady (corbin.com/motoguzzi/mgv7sgl.shtml) sounds like a good option (and possibly the only one I found)

- Saddle bags: either the SW-MOTECH Legend Gear or the Hepco & Becker C-Bow mount + the Xtravel bags.

- Rear Rack: This Hepco & Becker one since it's much bigger than the OEM Guzzi, which If I understand correctly only holds like 10 lbs.

- Rear Case: not sure what to get really. Could I just adapt a hard case from harbor freight or something along those lines?

I am looking for opinions from folks who have one or more of the items listed. Specifically: Will the corbin seat fit with the Cbow mount and the rack (it looks a lot wider than the stock)? Are those bags any good? Am I overlooking something, like should I get new shocks/springs? Also, of note: the missus will be with me on any long trip, so storage options that occupy the rear portion of the seat are a no-go.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if any of these questions are silly (I'm a complete newbie)

Sebastiano
Good evening, Sebastiano, from the top of Virginia.

I have a V7 II and III ... and more relevantly in response to your questions, two of the accessories you ask about, i.e., C-Bow racks and bags and a rear rack. Todd has a store that sells those and more; see Todd's Store (Luggage, Etc.).

Permit me a few observations.

The first is admiration for riding a V7 two-up for any distance whatever. My wife, Kathi :makeup: -- the Perfect Pillion & Polish Princess :inlove: -- is a slip of thing. I ... erm ... am not. 😰 We do well on the EV and Norge, and she has many thousands of miles and lots of hours on the "second seat" on both. She vetoed two-up on the Griso after I nearly dumped her on the first ride. Doh. We have not even tried two-upping on the V7's. Saddle length and suspension issues would likely be warstoppers before power concerns factored into the equation. Todd offers suspension options in his store; see, e.g.,Todd's Store (Suspension)

I like the C-Bow system but it has limitations depending on one's requirements. More on that in a moment, but the C-Bow mounts are unobtrusive, even attractive without bags; appearance is thus a real positive.

No clue on fitment with after-market saddles.

When we travel -- on two wheels or, FTM, in a cage -- we (Kathi, especially, but I am no light-packing saint :giggle:, tend to bring our closets! That is OK on the Norge and EV, but even when I travel solo as on either V7, the smallish bags (Orbitz) for the C-Bows are not ... erm ... capacious. They may be just fine for those who can pack with discipline and skill, but I am not blessed with those virtues.

You also need to be careful that you ensure that the bags are securely locked onto the C-Bow mounts before riding off. I have a sad story about that, but you can likely infer the self-inflicted cause without hearing the details of the result. :oops:

The rack. Have it on the Stornello ( a II). Embarrassingly, I don't know what it is. Think it is OEM. It was a @#$%^ PITA to mount, with maddening and worrisome fitment issues. Lordy. I would not worry -- in academic theory, anyway -- about the load-bearing limits. In my experience, much of that is driven more by lawyers (I am one, BTW, so I know the handwringing such folks can do ;)) and insurance beancounters than engineers. Be that as it may, I would be very concerned about riding about handling and safety when riding two-up with most any combination of side bags, top case, and rear rack, without serious suspension upgrades.

And none of the above addresses comfort, which, IMO, is going to be a serious issue on any two-up LD trip.

Unless budget, personal preference for small blocks, or something else rules out larger motorcycles I would -- without intending to take away the fun you both seem to have with your V7 I -- a fine machine; I love my 7's -- I would suggest that you consider a larger motorcycle for two-up operations.

FWIW, I drive and ride to Wendell (vic. Raleigh) every month or so to visit kids and grandkids there. Here's a slideshow of a run down there last December: Moto Santa to Wendell 2021

Would be happy to get together in person at mutual and compare V7 and other Guzzi notes. Next scheduled visit is mid-March. Call or email at convenience if interested. Reply here if any questions on what I said above or for matters of general interest.

Best wishes,

Bill Hagan
4zero4.8zero8.8four86
wrhagan AT earthlink.net

I have a V7 II and III ... and more relevantly in response to your questions, two of the accessories you ask about, i.e., C-Bow racks and bags and a rear rack. Todd has a store that sells those and more; see Todd's Store (Luggage, Etc.).

The first is admiration for riding a V7 two-up for any distance whatever. My wife, Kathi :makeup: -- the Perfect Pillion & Polish Princess :inlove: -- is a slip of thing. I ... erm ... am not. 😰 We do well on the EV and Norge, and she has many thousands of miles and lots of hours on the "second seat" on both. She vetoed two-up on the Griso after I nearly dumped her on the first ride. Doh. We have not even tried two-upping on the V7's. Saddle length and suspension issues would likely be warstoppers before power concerns factored into the equation. Todd offers suspension options in his store; see, e.g.,Todd's Store (Suspension)

I like the C-Bow system but it has limitations depending on one's requirements. More on that in a moment, but the C-Bow mounts are unobtrusive, even attractive without bags; appearance is thus a real positive.

When we travel -- on two wheels or, FTM, in a cage -- we (Kathi, especially, but I am no light-packing saint :giggle:, tend to bring our closets! That is OK on the Norge and EV, but even when I travel solo as on either V7, the smallish bags (Orbitz) for the C-Bows are not ... erm ... capacious. They may be just fine for those who can pack with discipline and skill, but I am not blessed with those virtues.

You also need to be careful that you ensure that the bags are securely locked onto the C-Bow mounts before riding off. I have a sad story about that, but you can likely infer the self-inflicted cause without hearing the details of the result. :oops:

The rack. Have it on the Stornello ( a II). Embarrassingly, I don't know what it is. Think it is OEM. It was a @#$%^ PITA to mount, with maddening and worrisome fitment issues. Lordy. I would not worry -- in academic theory, anyway -- about the load-bearing limits. In my experience, much of that is driven more by lawyers (I am one, BTW, so I know the handwringing such folks can do ;)) and insurance beancounters than engineers. Be that as it may, I would be very concerned about riding about handling and safety when riding two-up with most any combination of side bags, top case, and rear rack, without serious suspension upgrades.

And none of the above addresses comfort, which, IMO, is going to be a serious issue on any two-up LD trip.

Unless budget, personal preference for small blocks, or something else rules out larger motorcycles I would -- without intending to take away the fun you both seem to have with your V7 I -- a fine machine; I love my 7's -- I would suggest that you consider a larger motorcycle for two-up operations.

FWIW, I drive and ride to Wendell (vic. Raleigh) every month or so to visit kids and grandkids there. Here's a slideshow of a run down there last December: Moto Santa to Wendell 2021

Would be happy to get together in person at mutual and compare V7 and other Guzzi notes. Next scheduled visit is mid-March. Call or email at convenience if interested. Reply here if any questions on what I said above or for matters of general interest.

Best wishes,

Bill Hagan
4zero4.8zero8.8four86
wrhagan AT earthlink.net
I got the OEM Moto Guzzi Comfort Gel seat and find that very comfortable. $350 Aus. Also upgraded to Matris shocks and fork cartridges which makes for a more more comfortable ride. Added a Spaan back rest/rack out of Spain. Don't have bags so can't comment.
Hi All,

Sebastiano
I got the Moto Guzzi OEM Comfort Gel seat and find that very comfortable. Aus$350.
Also a SPAAN S1501 Backrest with luggage rack for specific mounting on 2017 MOTO GUZZI V7 III Special:
Size: High.
From nilmoto.com in Spain. Pillion loves the backrest!
Don't have bags, so can't comment on those. You would need to check fitment of any rack and bags together.
Happy hunting.

You are going to love riding in NC! I lived there for a long time. You are close to The Dragon, The Cherohala Skyway, the Blue Ridge Parkway and lots of great roads in the mountains and I'd love to do a ride from Wilmington through the OBX into VA.

I did a couple of 2k mile trips on my V7iii last year. I can't really speak too much about the gear options. I have H&B hard cases. I like being able to lock them and I sit on them around the fire when camping. I chose the Guzzi rear rack because the H&P had a kind of sissy bar above the level of the seat and I wanted a flat surface to strap down gear. I don't use a top case. I strap things down in a dry bag. A seat upgrade is a good call. I'm looking to upgrade my seat this year too. I live near St Louis now. This is from my ride last year up the Mississippi River to its source on the way to the MG rally in Grand Marais MN.

Good luck!

View attachment 24290

Thanks for the feedback! From what I can see in the picture, your cases are the H&B Xceed, 38 liters, am I correct? If so, does their weight affect handling very much? Do you ride the bike often without them, and are the mounts ugly when the cases are removed?

Thanks again!

Best wishes,

Bill Hagan
4zero4.8zero8.8four86
wrhagan AT earthlink.net

Hi Bill! Thank you very much for your reply.

I was looking at the Orbit cases you mentioned, and if I understand correctly they're 15 liters. Do you ever pair them with a rear case on the V7, and if so, is that enough storage? I don't have a "real" frame of reference for size, to be honest. I hike on weekends with a 50L backpack and that's plenty of space for all my gear, but of course, 50L on a soft stretchable backpack isn't the same as 50L on a hard case.

We tend to be light packers, at least I am (happily) and so is my lady (though a little begrudgingly). She's also quite light (I want to say 140lbs), though I'm a bit more on the stocky side (190 or so). We are quite disappointed, as you wisely mentioned, with the stock shocks. In addition, the fella who sold me the bike, though he'd only put 995 miles on it in 7 years, stored in under a holey tarp in rainy Oregon, and the springs are rusted through. A bummer for sure, but the bike rode well otherwise, and I got a fair deal, so I can't really complain. Anyhow, would you happen to have any recommendations regarding shocks, or could you otherwise point me to any resource where I could learn more about the subject? As mentioned, I'm pretty much a newbie.

I hear ya RE:buying an actual touring bike, rather than "frankenstein"-ing the V7...but, at least at the moment, that's not possible. We're driving around in two 18+ year old cars, one with a failing power steering pump, and the other one nearing 300k. If I buy another bike before we get the lady a new cage, it'll be a hot topic for the rest of 2022. And buying a car in this market is no easy feat. Alas, time will tell.

Final note: we'd be more than happy to meet up and go for a ride together. Wendell is indeed quite close to us, and we certainly appreciate making new acquaintances. I scrolled through your Christmas pictures, and I saw your garage sporting a "Moto Grappa" banner; I am originally from the outskirts of Padua, so about an hour from Monte Grappa. If the sign on your garage is a reference to either the mountain or the eponymous beverage...I suspect we'll get along just fine :D

Have a great week,

Sebastiano

Thanks for the feedback! From what I can see in the picture, your cases are the H&B Xceed, 38 liters, am I correct? If so, does their weight affect handling very much? Do you ride the bike often without them, and are the mounts ugly when the cases are removed?

Thanks again!
That is correct about the cases. They are fairly heavy, but so am I. They are wide too. If I were to start over, I might have gotten smaller ones. At first, they did negatively affect handling. Now I have upgraded the to the Matris F15 kit in front and GTM 2WS in the rear all sprung for the load so I adjust preload when I gear it up. It handles great now even loaded.

Ugly is subjective. I have the rack off the bike right now. It's not a big job to take on and off. Here is a pic with the rack, no bags. Apologies for the grime.

20211116 133201

Hi Bill! Thank you very much for your reply.

I was looking at the Orbit cases you mentioned, and if I understand correctly they're 15 liters. Do you ever pair them with a rear case on the V7, and if so, is that enough storage? I don't have a "real" frame of reference for size, to be honest. I hike on weekends with a 50L backpack and that's plenty of space for all my gear, but of course, 50L on a soft stretchable backpack isn't the same as 50L on a hard case.

We tend to be light packers, at least I am (happily) and so is my lady (though a little begrudgingly). She's also quite light (I want to say 140lbs), though I'm a bit more on the stocky side (190 or so). We are quite disappointed, as you wisely mentioned, with the stock shocks. In addition, the fella who sold me the bike, though he'd only put 995 miles on it in 7 years, stored in under a holey tarp in rainy Oregon, and the springs are rusted through. A bummer for sure, but the bike rode well otherwise, and I got a fair deal, so I can't really complain. Anyhow, would you happen to have any recommendations regarding shocks, or could you otherwise point me to any resource where I could learn more about the subject? As mentioned, I'm pretty much a newbie.

I hear ya RE:buying an actual touring bike, rather than "frankenstein"-ing the V7...but, at least at the moment, that's not possible. We're driving around in two 18+ year old cars, one with a failing power steering pump, and the other one nearing 300k. If I buy another bike before we get the lady a new cage, it'll be a hot topic for the rest of 2022. And buying a car in this market is no easy feat. Alas, time will tell.

Final note: we'd be more than happy to meet up and go for a ride together. Wendell is indeed quite close to us, and we certainly appreciate making new acquaintances. I scrolled through your Christmas pictures, and I saw your garage sporting a "Moto Grappa" banner; I am originally from the outskirts of Padua, so about an hour from Monte Grappa. If the sign on your garage is a reference to either the mountain or the eponymous beverage...I suspect we'll get along just fine :D

Have a great week,

Sebastiano

Howdy, again.

In the throes of getting ready for Moto Grappa Tech Days MMXXII this weekend ...

i-8zgmXkD-M.jpg

... so little time to respond in detail, especially in keystrokes here. Here's what's that's about: MGTD MMXX Pix

That said, a few brief points:

* Todd's store has many options for R&R stock shocks for the real thing. Guzzis -- and, in fairness, most manufacturers -- do not put top-drawer suspension bits any but their premier models. They are pricey comma but.

* WRT the name of my shop ... lived in Zane (Thiene) VI many years ago. Worked with these guys at Caserma Ederle. As old hands here know, they got me hooked on Guzzis ... and Grappa. :clap:

i-jkVNGft-M.jpg

As for Grappa, I have a collection, tho it tends to "shrink" when Guzzisti visit. :giggle:

* I am down in the Moto Grappa "as we speak," and will be for most of today and tomorrow. Give a call when convenient for more abut any of the above; I'll need the break! ;)

Bill
4zero4.8zero8.8four86

Back