Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Mistral exhaust db killers

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by senecagreen, Dec 17, 2020.

1. senecagreen

senecagreen Tuned and Synch'ed

The V9 roamer I bought came with Mistral long mufflers. After reading about how some have db killers installed I looked at mine and there they were. I removed them to look at them and I bet they have been cut. I will post a couple of pics and maybe someone else that has them can say.

I actually have a decibel meter (not a app on my phone) and I have checked all my bikes especially before changing exhausts to see the difference between stock and whatever I bought. Since I don't have stock V9 exhaust I checked the Mistrals with and without the db killers.

With the db killers
    idle 81db
    cruise rpm 94db
    revved 108 db

Without the db killers
    idle 83 db
    cruise rpm 94db
    revved 108 db

I always set the meter 8ft away and directly behind to be consistent. Not much difference is why I think the previous owner modified the db killers.

20201217_170712.jpg 20201217_170704.jpg

Mayakovski likes this.
  2. vagrant

vagrant GT Reference

look normal to me. if you run without them it's best to put the screw and nut back into the exhaust pipe or the empty hole will create a tweety bird noise.

3. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Why not Google it? ;)
    Yes, they’ve likely been cut. Most all of them have an end cap with a hole drilled in it.
    3CA96199-43FC-4533-8C11-69925DDA331D.jpeg

4. senecagreen

I dis google it but could not find the actual Mistral oem db killers. Just other aftermarket alternatives. If someone has a pic of the oem ones I could probably reconfigure mine as I know some excellent welders who could weld up whatever I make. You have probably figured out I like to make things which is why I admire your fabrication skills.

GTM® likes this.
  5. vagrant

vagrant GT Reference

[​IMG]

V7III shorties on the left V85 on right.
    I did buy the V7III set used so it's always possible the original owner did cut them. But, he didn't say he had and there was no sign of it and no soot or sign they had ever been in or run.

6. jpv7

jpv7 Cruisin' Guzzisti

my V7 mistral shorties have killers like what Todd posted, but without the hole.

7. aproud1

aproud1 Tuned and Synch'ed

Same here. Pretty big difference in vs. out. Pretty sure you can buy replacement stock baffles if you want to quiet it down. There is a small but noticeable power improvement with out the baffles.

8. senecagreen

I can fix the ones I have then. Thank you for the info!

aproud1 likes this.
  9. senecagreen

looking at the mg store website for db killers the ones I have look like the "loud" db killers for the california 1400 mufflers and not modified

10. senecagreen

I wound up ordering the California 1400 db killers. They were too big to fit in my Mistrals but once cut they did slip over the ones I had and I was able to use them after all. Once installed I will check with my decibel meter the difference and post the results

I was able to repurpose one of the ends I cut off to modify a db killer I had for a slip on on one of my other bikes.

20201217_170704.jpg
    20201230_205116.jpg

Hippo-Drones likes this.
  11. senecagreen

Food for thought...I am not a sound engineer nor am I a air flow engineer. You notice I made them longer than oem length. I can still cut and weld them shorter to oem length but wanted to experiment.

The muffler construction and anything you add like db killers are affecting 2 very different things. more/faster combustion explosions make more waves/vibrations that your ears turn into sound and the frequency of that sound determines bassy or harsh.

Then you have to consider the engine is a air pump and needs optimum flow for the capacity.

So the db killer configuration and location affects flow and sound. The muffler being either chambered or straight thru affects both too. Most of the slip ons you deal with are straight thru with either a louvered or perforated core. Resonator construction is interesting too.

Air picks the path of least resistance. So by making the decibel killer longer moving the escape route further into the muffler and keeping in mind the mistral db killers have those extra little escape holes around the bell.

I really was just curious how that would affect the air flow, noise level and frequency of the sound. Todd makes slip ons and puts a lot of thought into what he makes.

I really don't know the science, I just enjoy thinking about all that goes into these things...

Wildroamer likes this.
  12. senecagreen

Got them in and checked them with the meter
    idle 81db
    cruise rpm 92
    revved 104 db

Compared to my original open db killers
    idle 81
    cruise rpm. 94 db
    revved 108 db

I think they still have plenty of flow and am happy with the result. Would they have been louder if I had made them shorter like oem? I don't know