• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

My Mandello pulls to the left. Does anyone else's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seasider

Tuned and Synch'ed
Last week, following a puncture, I had a new rear tyre fitted (Michelin Pilot Road 4). Riding home from the Guzzi dealer on a fast road, I felt the handlebars were vibrating more than before and wondered if the mechanic had not balanced the wheel properly. Then, I put the cruise control on and took my hands of the handlebars and noticed the bike pulling to the left.

Today, I went back to the dealer to discuss the problem. One of the staff took the bike out and agreed it pulled to the left. He then took their Stelvio demo bike out and said that also pulled to the left, but not so much. He theorised that it might be to do with the single sided swing arm and that other V100s might do the same thing. It's not something I've seen anyone mention here before, hence I'm posing the question.

At least the clutch seals got replaced while I was there, although I can't notice any difference.

None of my 8 Moto Guzzi motorcycles pulls to either side. They all track straight and true.

It is not inherent to the design and I’m rather surprised that they would suggest it.

Last week, following a puncture, I had a new rear tyre fitted (Michelin Pilot Road 4). Riding home from the Guzzi dealer on a fast road, I felt the handlebars were vibrating more than before and wondered if the mechanic had not balanced the wheel properly.

One other thing that I have written about is that truly, the best method for tires is to replace them as a matched set. Otherwise you always have a brand new fresh profile and compound at odds with the other end which is worn.

The cost isn’t that much more really, but the “like new” handling you will experience every set of tires, is priceless.

Once, a long time ago when a wise tire guy from Dunlop convinced me of this truth, I’ve never gone back to only changing one tire only.

Try it 1 time and you will become a believer too! 😄

Curiously, I do the same thing with brake pads. All at once every time.

Thought to consider. 🤔😆

Vibration is tire manufacturing or balance issue.
Crank mass and rotation play a part. It’s well covered on this Forum. Is this your first Guzzi?

No, it's my third, but first with single-sided swingarm.

Ok. I’ve owned dozens now, including my custom builds. It has nothing to do with a SSS.
Don’t ignore Scott’s words above too.
I agree with you and Scott that it was a surprising thing for the dealer to say about the SSS. Just interested to hear if any other V100 owners have experienced the same thing. I don't disagree about matching tyres, but didn't want to turn this into a tyre thread. I chose the Michelin, as I find it gives a more comfortable ride than the PA GT 2. I'm not buying a front tyre as well now, as the bike has only done 2500 miles.

Last week, following a puncture, I had a new rear tyre fitted (Michelin Pilot Road 4). Riding home from the Guzzi dealer on a fast road, I felt the handlebars were vibrating more than before and wondered if the mechanic had not balanced the wheel properly. Then, I put the cruise control on and took my hands of the handlebars and noticed the bike pulling to the left.

Today, I went back to the dealer to discuss the problem. One of the staff took the bike out and agreed it pulled to the left. He then took their Stelvio demo bike out and said that also pulled to the left, but not so much. He theorised that it might be to do with the single sided swing arm and that other V100s might do the same thing. It's not something I've seen anyone mention here before, hence I'm posing the question.

At least the clutch seals got replaced while I was there, although I can't notice any difference.
Mine pulls too: I have to put pressure on the right bar to go straight. My dealer said that it would not be covered by warranty because MG would claim that you are not supposed to ride without holding the bars! :banghead:

I looked at the alignment by myself and noticed that when I hold the bars straight, the front tire points towards the right side of the rear tire. The fix is easy and consists of loosening the fork: lower triple clamp, wheel axle, steering head nut, mudguard, brakes, and then bouncing the fork and perhaps twisting the fork straight with your knees. I was not inclined to remove all of the fairings, so I only loosened the lower part of the fork. The operation helped tremendously. I can now ride without hands if I lean a bit with my body. That was impossible when I first got the bike. I will probably redo the operation in a more comprehensive manner at some point, but I am no longer in a hurry to fix it.

Another thing to check is wheel alignment. If the swing arm isn't properly centered, then veering to the left or right may be noticed. I haven't seen how a V100 swing arm is attached but may be worth a look.

My V100 is the most neutral tracking bike I have ever owned. In fact it is so good I am constantly amazed as to how stable it is especially at slow speeds. I would be looking at tires and another thought are the roads crowned excessively where you live?
kk

I started noticing last season that mine is pulling to the left as well. When I let go of the bars then it immediatly starts going. I have to move my upper body over the center line quite a bit for the bike to go straight.

When I took my hands of the handlebar, mine also pulls slightly to the left. I can balance it with my body (When I increase pressure on the right footpeg, it can easily balance.)
My service also said it was normal. I don't know if I should be worried

Last edited:
Thank you to those who have replied. So far, there are four of us whose Mandellos pull to the left and four whose don't. There are about 200 other views of the thread. I'm going to assume that most of those are from people who don't have a Mandello, but there are probably some from people whose bike tracks fine and didn't feel they needed to reply. All I can conclude is that it seems I'm not the only one with this issue.

Mine didn't really pull left when riding straight. But after about 9000 miles, the rear tire started to force the bike up out of right turns. I put new Dunlops on it at 10,000 miles and it tracks nicely now.

Thank you to those who have replied. So far, there are four of us whose Mandellos pull to the left and four whose don't.

All I can conclude is that it seems I'm not the only one with this issue.

You cannot conclude anything here. There is no correlation to any of this.

Nobody states their mileage, tire condition, etc.

It is far more likely that it is tire driven in nature and almost certainly has nothing to do with the motorcycle itself.

I don't remember ever letting go of the handlebars on a motorcycle I have
owned for any reason... Don't see the point but whatever.
Had a wasp go down the front of my jacket at 120kph once, you soon forget about the handle bars!
Or how about holding your mobile and texting and then waving to Police on the road side? That's sure to get the bike to pull to one side.
Isn't there a legality to be being in control of the vehicle with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back