• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

N8V 2013 Idle Wandering and Occasional Miss Fire Questions and Descriptions of found Problems in Workmanship

All the more reason to check EVERYTHING when acquiring a new to you motorcycle.

I’ve seen those tappet lock nuts tightened so tight that they literally broke the adjuster screw! Found that exact condition on my 1200 Sport when I bought it.

65263887942  B699152C 5DB4 4B57 A8B6 A783D6456E62

FWIW: those nuts should be “snug” plus no more than 1/16 of a turn additional tension (about 2-4 mm additional rotation). They are only holding that adjustment screw and it does not take much force at all.

Last edited:
On my old 850T I found one of the adjusters completely stripped. Sigh. It would be nice to strip down everything before purchasing, not really practical. I went by the maintenance records supplied, visual and run condition. I suppose if I didn’t have anything to work on I would just be getting into trouble.

One last post about the, new to me, N8V then I'll let this thread rest. So the previous owner had some upgrades done when he purchased the bike new in 2013. Mistral silencer, Y connector, remap of the fuel mapping to accommodate the Mistral exhaust. It was only through a number of discussion threads here that I became aware of the Evap / charcoal canister issues and the affects on throttle response and overall performance. Using Scott's excellent paper on the removal of the system from his Stelvio as a guide, I evaluated what had been done on this bike. The canister, located under the passenger seat, had been removed, good. All the piping had been left in place with no re-routing of the drain. Bad. (Pic 4085 below) The piping appears to have simply been cut off at the canister with the TB vacuum take off piping capped off at the canister.

The right drain on the fuel tank uses a T connector (pic 4086) to drain into a drain pipe attached to the CARC.(pic 4087) So using Scott's paper as a guide, I got rid of the Tip valve and excess piping, connected the main, left fuel tank drain, via the T connector into the existent drain pipe. The T.B. vacuum take off piping I left in place for the time being as it was sealed where it had connected to the canister. Its on my list for clean up during winter maintenance.

My one thought/concern is that while the drain is off to the side of the rear wheel it is still kind of close. Maybe an alternative location can be found, further way from the tire? Though I don't suppose there will be a lot of discharge.

Attachments

• IMG_4085.jpg
    IMG_4085.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4086.jpg
    IMG_4086.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4087.jpg
    IMG_4087.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 15
End of season tune-up of the Norgesaurus. (My 5 year old neighbour must know what type of dinosaur very vehicle is.) Finally got the 2013 N8V running as it should just in time for the end of season winter prep and storage. After trying to build a manometer (bad idea, at least for me) I broke down and purchased on. Used Scott's guide to sync the throttles and reset the TPS what a difference that made. The throttles had never been sync'ed before on this bike. the paint seal on the high speed sync screw was not broken. The high speed sync screw needed almost half a rotation to get into sync. I re-adjusted the valves again, installed missing hose clamps, fixed the airbox drain and cleaned the throttles inside and out and the stepper motor, new air filter, plugs, alternator belt, engine oil, filter, gear box and rear drive old, cleaned out 50,000km grime and dirt left by the previous owner and installed new rubber. I've put 10,000 km on the machine this summer, on some great roads through Virginia, Ohio, New York, Vermont and Ontario. Its been quite the learning experience.

I would like to thank Scott, Raven, John and all the others that have provided the advice and knowledge that I needed to get up to speed (in more ways then one with this Norge 1200 8V GT). Its been a fun experience. The old 850T has barely gotten a 1,000 km on it this season.

I must admit I kind of like seeing a bit more of the engine with the side panels off though having the heat funnelled away from you feet in the summer was nice. And Scott, yes, getting to the air bleed screws on the throttles was a real PITA.

David

Attachments

• IMG_4319.jpg
    IMG_4319.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4317.jpg
    IMG_4317.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 7
Canadian Fuel Injection Service in Steinbach, Manitoba. Very good service and very thorough. My injectors were so clean there was virtually no difference in the before and after tests. 60,000 km when cleaned.

I’m so happy to read that you found my writings useful.

Nothing is as satisfying to me, as truly understanding “How” that thing rumbling down between your legs, really works and how to properly maintain it yourself.

The problem with 99% of the Italian motorcycles out there, is people who just do not properly maintain and tune their motorcycles.

Not you! You’ve got her down now.

Congratulations! Well done.

IMG 7708

I’m so happy to read that you found my writings useful.

Nothing is as satisfying to me, as truly understanding “How” that thing rumbling down between your legs, really works and how to properly maintain it yourself.

The problem with 99% of the Italian motorcycles out there, is people who just do not properly maintain and tune their motorcycles.

Not you! You’ve got her down now.

Congratulations! Well done.

View attachment 32817
I’ve always enjoyed “tinkering “ on my bikes and for the Guzzis it has been a necessity. Made mistakes on the way but in the end I’ve gotten as much satisfaction out of a job well done as riding the machine afterwards. The Norgesaurus, in some ways, was as big a challenge as my first bike 50 years ago but I was starting from a much better place with most of the tools and an excellent support group. To work on my 69 500 Triumph Trophy Trail I had a Haines manual and impact screw driver to start with 😁

Back