• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New member says 'Hi!'

turboman6680

Just got it firing!
Hi there!

Just thought id introduce myself. My name is David and im from a we place in the north east of Scotland called Turriff. Im 28 years old so perhaps a little yound for Guzzi ownership typically but im not fussed. I have just bought today a new Moto Guzzi 1200 Breva with full 3 box luggage, heated grips and screen and i CANT WAIT TO GET IT!!

For about 3 years now ive always wanted one (usually a breva, sometimes want a Norge) and now is the opporunity to change. Two saturdays ago i had my 1200 GS written off so i thought - time for a Guzzi.

Had a shot on a bronze Norge last year and just fell in love but still plumped for the BMW as the 'safe' choice - loved the BMW but im now very excited.

Bought the bike from Moto Strada and intend to get the bike serviced at Moto Ecosse in Glasgow - do these guys get recomended?

I finally narrowed it down to an 08 Norge GTL or a new specced-up Breva 1200 but somehow i prefer the look of the Breva.

For anyone spending this kinda money i think its normal to have questions over the reliability of a hand made italian bike and i hope i have done the right thing but, hey, you only live once. I do hope it manages though as i do around 15-20k miles a year as a motorcycle instructor and aim to have the bike for at least 5 years.

Anyway, just thought id say hi! Are there many members on here from my neck of the woods? Id certainly like to do some meets!

Thanks, David :)

Hello David:

You are NEVER too young for a Guzzi... Congratulations on the new bike.

The only time I was in Glasgow I rented a Breva from Mel Robinson and picked it up. He seems to be well known in the Guzzi world. I The garage I picked the bike up at was FILLED with new and used Guzzis, including a Dr John! and tons of parts...

He treated me fairly..

As for your dealer.. All I can say is that the entire MG family of Dealers in the UK and Scottland seem to have a great working relationships with each other... I would suspect you are in very good hands anywhere you want to travel.

As for longevity... I think you will find the bike very reliable. There have been almost NO major line-wide failures with the new engine and drive line. There were some rear end leaks but they were quickly solved 2 years ago. I think you will find that the bike is really reliable and with proper maintenance it will last well over 5 years...

Hello David

Welcome to the Guzzi world. I'd be really interested to hear about your new 1200 Breva, see some photos, and hear about Scotland as a riding environment. My father was born in Forfar in 1892 and came with his siblings and mother to NZ in 1900. I wonder what he'd make of Scotland now? He did see my oldest brother become a motorcyclist in 1945 and rode on the back until shortly before he died in 1950, thanks to being gassed in WW1.

At 28 you're 40 years younger than I am, so it seems we're never too young nor too old to ride a Guzzi. IMHO they are lovely bikes. Well made and with huge character. But to give their best they do need to be well tuned. Rather like BMW twins in that way, but otherwise completely different.

Does your bike have ABS? If not you need to learn to control the rear brake which is really too powerful for many riders. Positioning the brake lever for minimum leverage really does help as does developing the habit of applying the front brakes first. That way, in an emergency stop you may not even get to apply the rear and cause it to lock.

Enjoy
Graham

Thank you for the replies guys. My best friend here up in Scotland comes from NZ - a place called Opunake? He's been here since the early 90's and loves it but still yearns for home.

My bike does not have ABS so thank you for the words of advice.

When i get it, i'll be sure to post up some pics and first impressions.

Thanks, David ;)

As we say here - Onya Dave!

Breva's rock, you did the right thing not opting for the Norge. I too am looking forward to some ride reports with lotsa pics of Scotland - I have this mad rash plan that involves a Stelvio, a lot of riding, some pics under a certain sign and a mad dash through Scotland..

Post often, I hope the GSA bingle write off didn't involve road rash. BTW what's a bike instructor doing throwing a perfectly good GSA down the road?

turboman6680 wrote:
For anyone spending this kinda money i think its normal to have questions over the reliability of a hand made italian bike and i hope i have done the right thing but, hey, you only live once. I do hope it manages though as i do around 15-20k miles a year as a motorcycle instructor and aim to have the bike for at least 5 years.
:)

Hi David,

Congrats on the new bike! I'm sure you'll love it. And if you are still thinking about the Beemer, do what I did. Have both!

Tracy

Also welcome from the other side of the North Sea....
For the not Europeans on the board, besides of Italy, Scotland is the place to be on a Breva for sure.
She will stand up to the climate overthere.B)

Have lots of fun on it David! :)

1200 Breva...... a very wise choice my friend!!!! The red ones are the fastest by way :lol: I was torn between the 1200 or an R1200 Beemer, I think I made the right, characterful, choice. Plus, take the benefit of feeling like you are on something special, you won't see hordes of them everytime you are out for a ride!

I have a 1200 on which I went to the French Alps with a 1200 and 1150 GS, and despite them being faster road riders than me (6 years on Harleys kinda makes you ride weird lines!) they couldn't shake the Breva off. Plus they really got the hump when I took 1-1,5 litres of fuel less each time we filled up, in my bigger tank, laugh.... I nearly wet myself......

Welcome to the Moto Guzzi family, and I do mean that, there are a lot of good friendly folk with lots of good advice around here.

Enjoy your machine in the finest motorcycling area in Britain, I will return up there on the Breva one day.

Rock on David! Just brought home my new Breva too. Love it. We can not yet get the 1200 Breva in the States so I did the next best thing and got the 1100. These things move me!

Back