• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New stelvio owner

TooTall

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
hi there, I bought this 09 stelvio in the spring and I have to admit the more I ride it the more I like it. I took one for a ride several years ago and fell in love with the ergos of the bike. I’m 6’4“ and most bikes don’t fit me. This bike came up for sale and I bought it without doing much research or even test driving it. There was still two feet of snow at the sellers house. I live in northern BC Canada, it’s a problem we have. Anyways after joining this forum Ive come to realize there is a problem with the tappets. The bike has 37400 K on it, runs like a top, valve clearance is in spec and doesn’t burn a drop of oil. I’m planning on doing the cam upgrade myself this winter, as well as the fuel upgrade as well. Are there any MG riders in my area that can recommend a good dealer for parts. Or any other advice or info is welcome,
cheers Dave

Attachments

• 994BC455-B0B8-404A-96FB-F37A86EA10E0.jpeg
    994BC455-B0B8-404A-96FB-F37A86EA10E0.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 1
Welcome and congratulations!

The Stelvio is an awesome motorcycle. I love mine.

Todd (GTM®), right here in the STORE tab, sells all OEM parts including the cam update kits. His pricing is very competitive.

More importantly, he appreciates our parts patronage support to keep this site going free and with no annoying advertising bullshit bombarding you, and the membership here buy from him. It's a win-win. Please consider contacting him for your parts needs.

Welcome and congratulations!

The Stelvio is an awesome motorcycle. I love mine.

Todd (GTM®), right here in the STORE tab, sells all OEM parts including the cam update kits. His pricing is very competitive.

More importantly, he appreciates our parts patronage support to keep this site going free and with no annoying advertising bullshit bombarding you, and the membership here buy from him. It's a win-win. Please consider contacting him for your parts needs.
That sounds good, I will contact him this winter when I have time to work on it.

I have. Also confirmed with a dealer that the bike had the coated rockers installed under warranty. When I had the valve covers off I could see it was a non roller setup

What? I have no idea what you are talking about here. There was no issue with "coated rockers". Can you please explain this?

Those rockers and cams imo do not need replaced many have over 100000 km on them without a problem if they were to fail it would have already they failed at 100's of km when new due to a supplier mess up Don't be fooled

That is incorrect and it would be unwise to think that.

If you have a 1200 8V engine made with the DLC coatings, it is not a question of "if" but of "when". Some failed within a few hundred miles. Others lasted 40k kilometers. It is the luck of the draw as to how durable the DLC coating is on your particular component.

We still on a fairly constant basis, get people here who recently bought a 1200 8V motorcycle, and find out that the valve train was either having issues or it starts to have issues almost right away.

Those rockers and cams imo do not need replaced many have over 100000 km on them without a problem if they were to fail it would have already they failed at 100's of km when new due to a supplier mess up Don't be fooled
After 10 years of Stelvio ownership, and keeping up with my fellow Stelvio owners (and other 8-valve owners of 2008 - 2012 models), I'd really like to know of anyone who went 100K km on the original flat tappets - name, rank, and serial number, please!

I believe (and I've been challenging people for years to beat my record on 4 international forums) that my 2009 Stelvio that went 39,000 miles on the original flat DLC-coated tappets holds the record. They were badly heat-discolored, but they had not lost any material into the oil stream yet, and we were able to make the swap.

Not one single 8-valve that was built with flat DLC tappets avoided this issue .....

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it .....

Lannis

After 10 years of Stelvio ownership, and keeping up with my fellow Stelvio owners (and other 8-valve owners of 2008 - 2012 models), I'd really like to know of anyone who went 100K km on the original flat tappets - name, rank, and serial number, please!

I believe (and I've been challenging people for years to beat my record on 4 international forums) that my 2009 Stelvio that went 39,000 miles on the original flat DLC-coated tappets holds the record. They were badly heat-discolored, but they had not lost any material into the oil stream yet, and we were able to make the swap.

Not one single 8-valve that was built with flat DLC tappets avoided this issue .....

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it .....

Lannis

Agreed.

hi there, I bought this 09 stelvio in the spring and I have to admit the more I ride it the more I like it. I took one for a ride several years ago and fell in love with the ergos of the bike. I’m 6’4“ and most bikes don’t fit me. This bike came up for sale and I bought it without doing much research or even test driving it. There was still two feet of snow at the sellers house. I live in northern BC Canada, it’s a problem we have. Anyways after joining this forum Ive come to realize there is a problem with the tappets. The bike has 37400 K on it, runs like a top, valve clearance is in spec and doesn’t burn a drop of oil. I’m planning on doing the cam upgrade myself this winter, as well as the fuel upgrade as well. Are there any MG riders in my area that can recommend a good dealer for parts. Or any other advice or info is welcome,
cheers Dave
Hi there TooTall,

Are you the same "TooTall" on ADV?
It sounds familiar.
EDIT: Oh yeah, WELCOME!

I'm a new owner of a Stelvio (13' NTX) too.
I'm enjoying the bike. My last 400K was on R-motor BMWs ....... mostly GSAs.
It was time for something a little different, and the Stelvio is different enough.
I picked the Stelvio up in PA this summer and have put almost 10K miles on it since.
I'm slowly getting it dialed in to fit me and am also learning about proper service, etc. thanks to this great website.

So we are similar in height.
I found the factory ergos to not be great for me, but not bad either. (surprisingly comfy OEM saddle, just too short for me)
Here's what I've done to make the bike fit me a little better.
The cockpit seemed a "little cramped" compared to my GSA. After having no luck looking for a taller Stelvio seat ..... I've added an AirHawk cushion and then covered/captured setup that with a "Cool Covers" seat cover. That mod added enough height that it's now about level with the pillion seat. MUCH better for me and my knees.

I also bought/added some lowered footpegs (Knight Designs I think?) from AF1 in TX. I was told/emailed a list of their products that "worked with a Stelvio" so I ordered the 2" lower version. THEY FELT GREAT! ........... until I turned to the left!! The footpegs interfered with the complete retraction of the side stand .......... and that caused the "foot" of the side stand to drag on the highway. You DIDN'T have to be riding real aggressively to make that is happen. As soon as I got back home I put the OEM footpegs back on the bike.
It will take some sort of side stand modification to make them compatible. I contacted AF1 and told them that there are issues with their recommendations for lower footpegs. Unfortunately they seemed to not be too concerned and weren't interested in making their poor information right, and taking the pegs back. I'll probably try to modify the side stand at some point and go back to the lowered pegs as they sure felt nice both sitting & standing.

I also added a taller CalSci windshield to the Stelvio and that helped too. There's still some room for improvement. I've got another windshield from an older RT (Cee Bailey) that I'm considering adding to the Stelvio. I think that it would work great. Winter project.

And finally the bike has a set of ROX anti-vibration handlebar risers. These may help make the bike more comfortable for you too if you've got long arms like me.

Hope some of this info helps. Enjoy that Stelvio!
Holler if you have any questions or comments.
RD

Back