• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

New to a V7ii needing repaint

woollybandit

Just got it firing!
Hi all,
I have just taken custody of a 2016 V7ii that a PO had kindly defaced by scotchbrighting and clear coating the tank. Not a finish to my taste when you add in the scratches then applied by their belt buckle!
So it’s booked in for a new coat of black paint and ral2005 stripes similar to the old S1000 and more modern Special version. The painter has asked what width the stripes and gaps are in millimetres, so if any owners out there have the time and are kind enough to go out to the shed I would welcome those dimensions. Or post a photo with a tape measure pictured across the stripes.

The finished article should look like this …..
28755D53-BCDD-404D-86A9-0E6740E342A3.jpeg

Presently this is the finish …..
864859FC-2164-4D16-B894-07954A32AE49.jpeg

Many thanks guys.
Woolly

After a long wait with two painters bailing out the paint has just come back.

Lovely job but the third sprayer did it twice because the orange paint (RAL2005) was really thin after several coats, turns out supplier hadn’t told him it had to go over white base. So he stripped it off again and did the orange over white and masked that off for the silver and black last.
I think he did a terrific job! Will leave it til after Easter break so pain can harden off and post finished photo in a couple of weeks.

Attachments

• EB950ECC-D0B4-4C6D-9612-13E057B0A8BB.jpeg
    EB950ECC-D0B4-4C6D-9612-13E057B0A8BB.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 13
He said he was asking for the spec sheet from the supplier but it was never sent. Learning curve just went vertical!
The orange is almost luminous, in the sunshine it doesn’t so much pop as explodes 😄

Finally got the paint done but it looks awesome. The photo doesn’t do it justice as in the sunshine yesterday the stripes absolutely jump out of the black, they have an almost fluorescent quality.

1681802469173.jpeg
After a good ride out on Saturday yesterday the bike started stumbling on minimal throttle but flew away when cranked open.
Upon inspection I found an open spigot on the top of the air pipe by the throttle body. I can’t see any loose small pipe hanging around but putting a rubber cap over cured the problem instantly.

Do any owners have time to look at their V7ii to see if a pipe or cap goes on the spigot please? Image below shows location.

1681803031239.jpeg

That would make sense as the vacuum from the plenum, would normally draw the trapped gas fumes from the charcoal canister into the intake tract for combustion.

It would appear that whomever pulled out the emission equipment, failed to plug off that hole, which would be a serious air leak into the plenum. This is why capping it caused your motorcycle to run significantly better.

Thanks for the replies guys. Where is this charcoal canister exactly, perhaps I can trace back from there for a loose pipe?

After exhaustive (?) examination I cannot see any canister anywhere. So as you say perhaps when the Mistrals replaced the original pipes so they did for the canister. What function would the canister perform?

I’ll try one last time to walk behind the swing-set here to offer advice.

The evap(orative emissions) components are typically global. You can find the layout on the parts PDF. If you are a site donor, you can download it here on this site.

Do you see a small “cradle” off the bottom side to side frame support under the gearbox/transmission? That’s where the canister usually resides.
If it’s missing, it would have nothing to do with aftermarket exhaust unless it was our GTM 2>1.

Regardless, many people try to use a simple rubber cap there on the intake. They will not work 95% of the time. That’s a substantial intake leak. I recommend a heavy rubber hose to a hidden location, and seal it with a metal plug or bolt.

This is what I have at the moment (in red at top) but tomorrow I will go the hose/bolt route.
Very good. Is there a reason you didn't answer my question above?

Not directed at you, but to all reading this: Understand I run two big businesses and this Forum... so my time is VERY valuable. I take time to offer free advice here, so per the paragraphs at the top of every page above, courtesy and respect is all I ask of in return.

Sorry, I just asked a question of the forum entire and it’s anybody’s choice to help or not, even the unpaid members.

I assumed your 'Do you see a small “cradle” ' was rhetorical and part of the narrative. I am absolutely interested in your and others expert opinion but maybe in this case tomorrow I’ll just take it to the local shop who will be happy to help. Tough day, I guess.

Last edited:
So you HAD an evap system in place. Someone removed it. Some markets didn't have them in place (originally) as delivered from Guzzi. It's simply why I asked.

Not a tough day, it's been two decades of doing this, for free. I'm ignored often, and when I ask simple questions (like above), I typically get no reply.
You might want to skim my resume HERE... which I didn't post it for an ego boost, I did it for simple courtesy and respect on what I've worked tirelessly for 20+ years to help the community here. READ the scrolling paragraphs at the top of the page if you haven't fully.

Well I just spent a solid couple of hours reading your cv and the linked 'debates', enough to appreciate the work you put into this forum and the collective Guzzi knowledge. I’m slightly depressed that people get so vicious in a supposedly communal talking shop and take lumps out of each other, probably not what they would do if they were face to face, I’m sure!
It's 5am but I think I’m going to make a coffee, go to the workshop and lie next to the V7 (I don’t own a lift) having a good stare and mellow out some.
Thanks all to the input re: paint and air leaks. 🤙

Back