• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New V7 II Stone POS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the last oppinions and that a good dealer makes a lot of difference although I had some issues with my V7ii (see BELLHOUSING LEAK thread).
What to you thing if we started a thread where each one would present the mechanical or electrical problems he had experienced with his V7(or ii) in short ,giving also mileage of the bike.We also present bikes with no problems at all.
That is a good way to reach an opinion about the reliability of our bikes.
You can do that, but it is typical that the people with no issues at all are quiet. The ones who are the loudest are usually the ones with the most issues. You see the same everywhere. Look at how many V7's Guzzi sells compared to how many people are having issues. That might be a better indication of how many have problems. The V7 is Guzzi's biggest selling model as far as I know.

I have had no issues in a year......I have only added 700 miles. I also had a very good dealer where I purchased it from (Seattle). I think that does make a difference as others have said. I had my v11 sport before this for 8 years with a fuel pump that went. All other maintenance was done by me which was essentially valves and fluids.

For every one person with problems on their Guzzi there are several people who don't have problems.
Those of you who do have problems may want to keep that in mind. Not all Guzzi's have your issues.

One in 'several' is not a particularly great ratio when it comes to reliability. I've had a V7S for 2 years. The top bolt on one rear shock fell out on the 120 km ride home from the dealer the day I bought it. This is from one of the 'good' dealers. About 5,000 km and a couple of months in, a plug wire malfunctioned and the resulting extra fuel in the exhaust burned up one cat and nearly left me stranded. Had to have the final drive seal replaced at about 10,000 km. There have been other smaller issues. I'd really like to like this thing, but my enthusiasm is waning. And before someone jumps in to tell me that motorcycles are maintenance intensive, blah, blah, blah, yes, I know that. I've been riding for more than 50 years. Probably 1,000,000 kilometers. I'm fully aware of the nature of the beast, and I regularly check things on my bikes that I wouldn't bother with on the car. But, a 2-year old 'modern' motorcycle should not have a 'one in several' problem ratio. Much better reliability is certainly achievable. My other 4 motorcycles have a total of over 150,000 km on their collective odometers and the sum of the reliability issues I've had with them is a lot lower than the V7S. The V7S is now relegated to 'around town' usage because I don't feel like I can depend on it to get me very far from home. I still love to ride it, but I don't trust it.

The V7S is now relegated to 'around town' usage because I don't feel like I can depend on it to get me very far from home. I still love to ride it, but I don't trust it.

Exactly. Why would I buy a bike with a 5.8 gallon tank to take to the corner grocery store? If I can't take it out because I don't trust it, I would be better off with a) a different bike, b) a Vespa, or c) an electric bike.

A different or "better" dealer isn't going to stop a new oil leak from developing. Quality is an issue at Moto Guzzi and they don't appear to be up to the task.

One in 'several' is not a particularly great ratio when it comes to reliability. I've had a V7S for 2 years. The top bolt on one rear shock fell out on the 120 km ride home from the dealer the day I bought it. This is from one of the 'good' dealers. About 5,000 km and a couple of months in, a plug wire malfunctioned and the resulting extra fuel in the exhaust burned up one cat and nearly left me stranded. Had to have the final drive seal replaced at about 10,000 km. There have been other smaller issues. I'd really like to like this thing, but my enthusiasm is waning. And before someone jumps in to tell me that motorcycles are maintenance intensive, blah, blah, blah, yes, I know that. I've been riding for more than 50 years. Probably 1,000,000 kilometers. I'm fully aware of the nature of the beast, and I regularly check things on my bikes that I wouldn't bother with on the car. But, a 2-year old 'modern' motorcycle should not have a 'one in several' problem ratio. Much better reliability is certainly achievable. My other 4 motorcycles have a total of over 150,000 km on their collective odometers and the sum of the reliability issues I've had with them is a lot lower than the V7S. The V7S is now relegated to 'around town' usage because I don't feel like I can depend on it to get me very far from home. I still love to ride it, but I don't trust it.
How about this then. I have, in recent times, owned a Suzuki and a Honda. I still have the Honda. The Suzuki had issues, including a factory cam chain tensioner that was a bad design. It would wear out the cam chain early. There was no factory fix for it and the solution was to know about the bad design and replace it with a good design tensioner. My Honda has a recall for a bad relay. And the Honda has incredibly poor quality parts. So I am batting 0 for two with the Japanese brands.
You had a dealer miss a bolt. Some of your other issues, well some of that is clearly the bike. But did you expect a Guzzi to run like an appliance? If you did you clearly did not do your research in advance of the purchase. Guzzi's tend to come needing a little work to finish what the factory started. Once that work is done they tend to last a long time and are usually very reliable. Not everyone is meant to own a Guzzi as they do need that extra effort from the owner. But Guzzi's are clearly not alone in having problems.
I have four Guzzi's and would have no issues riding any of them across the country, other than getting the required time off.....

Good point above about these bikes require tinkering. I owned a couple old Meridian Triumph's, as we all know those bikes required tinkering. Perhaps one of the points that endear people to the Moto Guzzi, a bike that still requires that owner input and tinkering.

So if you buy a Guzzi, you're probably a real good candidate to FLY OVER THAT COOKOO NEST. That's why I put that picture up, because all the people I meet riding these bikes resemble someone in my above posted picture. You got to be crazy to ride these frocking bikes.

NUTS

That's why I put that picture up, because all the people I meet riding these bikes resemble someone in my above posted picture. You got to be crazy to ride these frocking bikes.

NUTS

You forgot the one with a V7.

Chief_Breakout.jpg

The MG shop call to tell me that they are waiting on warranty approval to open up the clutch/transmission to see what exactly happened.

GOOSE I would like to lighten up the tension in the atmosphere.The inscription say: F@!k crank seal again...

View attachment 10228 I would like to lighten up the tension in the atmosphere.The inscription say: F@!k crank seal again...

I needed that, tho a certain spousal unit gave me The Look when I told her what made me laugh. :giggle:

FWIW, I and many other East Coasters here, ride what passes for year-round. But, admittedly, the weather at the top of Virginia is not California's. Still, we do get in enough miles to encounter problems. When someone, all misty-eyed, tells me that Guzzis are bulletproof, I respond (or, if feeling kind, just think to myself), "Yeah, if using a .22." ;)

And, I must admit to being one of those "brand loyal" folks, tho if I had the issues the OP's and fellow-travelers relate, I'd take something for my hangover and ride ... erm ... a Triumph something.

Oh, wait a minute, I have had quite a few problems with my Guzzis. Sigh. I remain in lust, but understand it's like the fleshy version, i.e., no rational explanation. :h:

And, I have been musing about adding a V7 to my harem, but these posts do give me pause. That said, I am grateful to Guzzi for teaching me so much about things mechanical.

Seriously, I have come to appreciate motorcycles and motorcycling more as a result of some Guzzi "character," with some of that learned at the side of several roads.

Be that as it may, best wishes to those here with issues, and to a satisfactory resolution. I love Guzzis, but have little confidence and less respect for the suits at Piaggio, at least in the U.S.

Bill

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back