• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Noob--general question about care

rich montgomery

Just got it firing!
Can someone suggest tools that would fit under the seat that would be must haves? Also, best chrome polish cleaner for those pipes. I bought some Mothers Blue. There seemed at least a dozen others. Plus any other tips I may not know as a new owner as far as general care. Thanks much!!

Since I haven't heard a peep from anyone after 2 weeks of my first post, I'll glady keep you from the same dry streak.
I would look at what McMaster Carr has to offer, they have many of the oddball/ specialty tools I've needed before, along with some decent stainless hardware. As far as polish, I've had excellent results from a tube of Maas, especially on aluminum. It'll work on almost anything, but it does take a bit of effort. Well worth it though. If the surface is relatively clean, it will give you a deep mirror finish. It's non-abrasive, so if you are trying to get rid of rough stuff it might not work...rust, pitting etc. I've polished the case and covers on my bike, and it really surprised me how nice the results were. It's like that hot sauce commercial....'I use that *bleep* on everything!' Hope this helps.
Dan

Which bike?
Yes, a lot of this is well covered here, just spend a few minutes with the search feature.
As for cleaning products, I've worked extensively to develop these to offer to the community here; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-modern-cleaning-products/

Almost every chrome polish on the market is pretty good. Use a liquid based product to general cleaning. The paste types are good for deep cleaning and reviving finishes as the tend to use abrasive compounds. If you want a chrome like finish, pull them and have them professionally polished.
Hope that helps.

Since I haven't heard a peep from anyone after 2 weeks of my first post, I'll glady keep you from the same dry streak.
I would look at what McMaster Carr has to offer, they have many of the oddball/ specialty tools I've needed before, along with some decent stainless hardware. As far as polish, I've had excellent results from a tube of Maas, especially on aluminum. It'll work on almost anything, but it does take a bit of effort. Well worth it though. If the surface is relatively clean, it will give you a deep mirror finish. It's non-abrasive, so if you are trying to get rid of rough stuff it might not work...rust, pitting etc. I've polished the case and covers on my bike, and it really surprised me how nice the results were. It's like that hot sauce commercial....'I use that *bleep* on everything!' Hope this helps.
Dan
Excellent, thanks very much!

V7II. I was curious about which wrenches to keep on the bike in the pouch under the seat. I am going to get a better pouch, but which wrenches and tools are a must have for the road? thanks again!

There really isn't much you can do with tools on the road. Maybe some large pliers for the oil dipstick. You could always carry a bunch of tools to fix a flat, I guess. If you have a Stone with tubeless tires, you could carry a plug kit. I've had shift linkage bits come loose. See what fits there (10mm? I don't remember). You could put Locktite on some of that stuff and then not carry any tools, too.

Also, best chrome polish cleaner for those pipes.
I don't think you'll find anything that's easy. The chrome used on pipes is usually not the best and tends to be a bit rough. Dirt gets in the low spots and things start turning yellow. The only way to clean it up is polish, as you mentioned, but it's a lot of work. I've been using Simichrome for years, but I don't know if it's any better than anything else. It worked quite well on my old Scrambler, but I haven't tried it on my V7 yet.

+1 for semichrome, but I haven't bothered for many moons. Life is too short. That Is one reason I like cast wheels over spokes. Seems like one of those polishing balls you put on your cordless drill would be a great product.

Gentlemen, thanks very much. I like the credit card and phone idea. Thanks also for the tips on the pipes. I am going to shoot a beauty shot vid of my Guzzi with lots of action. If it turns out like I have planned it will be bad ass. I will be sure and share it all over. Thanks again.

Back