• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

NTX350 Charging problem

Hi Scott,

Regulator bypassed, and disconnected diode board +ve output from battery (to protect from overcharging)

New battery installed, and now generating 2 - 4V AC between each stator coil and WYE starpoint when engine running. . Old battery internal resistance must have been too high to allow excitation of rotor.

Only 2V AC, because I believe at this point we are only getting current to the rotor field coil via the charging lamp, and the diode board is not yet contributing, because it is not properly earthed

The positive output tag on the diode board (F on previous post) is definitely connected to the top half of the diode board.

The diode board itself comprises 2 off "L" shaped heatsinks that are not electrically connected. The six diodes are a compression fit into the heatsinks. The diodes look the same, but the bottom 3 are reverse biased. The heatsinks comprises an integral part of the electrical connectivity between the 2 sets of 3 diodes. So one heatsink is connected to +12V and the other heatsink must be connected to ground.

Next move when I get back to the bike is to ground the bottom heatsink to see if we now get a DC output from point F. If we get a varying voltage with engine revs of over 12V we will reconnect the voltage regulator.

If we do not get the expected DC voltage output then we will remove the diode board and check the diodes using a 12V battery and bulb.

Will update once the above work has been done.

Best regards Jim

Hi Scott,

All Fixed - Bike Charging - Charging warning lamp goes out!!

After diode board properly earthed, got up to +18V at output terminal F depending on revs (regulator bridged and no connection to battery positive)

Regulator put back in circuit +ve Voltage limited to 14.3V at battery +ve Terminal.

Will monitor over next few days, but think we are done.

Thank you to everyone for their patience and support.

Hopefully this thread may help someone else sometime!

Best regards Jim

Hi Scott,

All Fixed - Bike Charging - Charging warning lamp goes out!!

After diode board properly earthed, got up to +18V at output terminal F depending on revs (regulator bridged and no connection to battery positive)

Regulator put back in circuit +ve Voltage limited to 14.3V at battery +ve Terminal.

Will monitor over next few days, but think we are done.

Thank you to everyone for their patience and support.

Hopefully this thread may help someone else sometime!

Best regards Jim

From the beginning, I was suspect of the ground circuit. That used to plague the BMW’s which is why I showed you the solid mounts.

I’m thrilled you figured it out. I know that both John Zibell and I were very happy to help you out.

May I suggest, that you take a moment, select the DONATE button, and contribute $25 to become a Contributing Member. Your donation will help GTM in Guzzi Tech operational costs for this free site, provide you with access to all features including the DOWNLOADS section, as well as access to the Ask the Wrench section, and most importantly, help to keep this site free of the horrible advertising that most forum sites use to fund them that make navigation in those site, totally obnoxious.

Enjoy your very unique Moto Guzzi!

Hi Scott,

Just donated $25. Keep up the good work with the site.

Best regards Jim

I am another member just like you and I Thank You for becoming a Contributing Guzzi-Tech Guzzisti. I and many others think this place is very special.

Welcome to the famiglia!

Don’t be a stranger. As you learn about your particular model, please share in the appropriate forum for others who will follow you here.

Please post some pictures of your very rare Moto Guzzi!

Back