• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil buildup question on 2008 Norge

Dycokac

Tuned and Synch'ed
Last fall I had a blowout of the valve cover gasket on the right hand side. Before that i was noticing a burning smell but didn't really notice how wet and greasy the left hand side of the engine was. went to change the oil today and the pan in the back by the plug is slimly.

i was noticing it was wet up top on the left hand side while checking that valve cover:

and I notice it goes all down the left side. but the right side is clean, no black muck on it.

Figure I should take off the fairing. But what should I be paying attention to, what is up on that side of the engine?

Should I be rethinking my road trip to Kansas City if it's all slimy like this? I had it out a week ago for a 30 minute ride and the burning smell went away after it got good and warm, but when I noticed how wet the underside was... I thought I should look closer before I get out of town.

I think it's unrelated but my rear brake keeps going soft on me until I bleed it and then it will be fine for 3 or so months before it goes soft again. Can't really see that it's loosing brake fluid, and the clutch and front brakes are fine.

Thanks for any advice and recommendations of what to look at.

Hylomar Blue is the PERFECT chemical choice in this situation. It remains completely pliable and the component will never be fixed in place should you need to remove it.

The seal created by Hylomar Blue is impervious to oil and gas.

Properly used, it will never leak again.

I think this is the breather... that hose is wet at both ends and looks fairly impregnated and that seems to be where the oil gunk is most centered around rather than the phase sensor (which is only coincidently near by.

This looks like if I get a replacement hose that I can do this without pulling too much else off the bike? Am I mistaken?

Also any suggestions for a US source for this tube are appreciated. I'm only finding UK websites...

Might see about getting some Hylomar blue on the phase sensor while I'm in there...

Last edited:
AF1 in Texas has the parts fiche online. You can look up any part.

You can buy it from them or MG Cycle or Harper’s or your nearest local Moto Guzzi dealer who needs your patronage to be there later when you might need them more.

Harper's also has parts listing on line. The oil breather system is shown here. harpermoto.com/parts-lookup/2000-2009-moto-guzzis/norge-1200-ie-1200-2006-2008/blow-by-system/

I think this is the breather... that hose is wet at both ends and looks fairly impregnated and that seems to be where the oil gunk is most centered around rather than the phase sensor (which is only coincidently near by.
View attachment 24760

This looks like if I get a replacement hose that I can do this without pulling too much else off the bike? Am I mistaken?

Also any suggestions for a US source for this tube are appreciated. I'm only finding UK websites...

Might see about getting some Hylomar blue on the phase sensor while I'm in there...
This was exactly the same issue I had. Quick, easy, and cheap fix, I've bought a hose cut on the same length as the original, a couple of clamps and that's it. All under 10$. ;)

Raven is correct. The hoses have very sharp angles in them. I wouldn’t trust a straight hose not to be crimped and block the air flow. Please make sure you check it;s position and routing very carefully.

6DD793E5 108F 49E9 8576 81D5649A741C

And yes by golly, as I double checked this once back in the lab before ordering some backup hoses (for that day...), they are definitely shaped-which I'll be purchasing. Perhaps Mr Berger's regular automotive hoses (above) worked out for him though. Spring approaches...

IMG 7064

The hose I had an issue with was this one:

screenshot_1-png.28972

It seems in the image that the hose is pre-shaped but in reality, it's almost straight and there were no hard edges or routing problems. I'm sorry that I didn't take any pictures when I was changing it, so you could see it on my bike, next month I'll be doing bike maintenance and I'll try to remember to take some pictures then.

P.S. I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy the original, or that this is better, I was just saying how I fixed the issue. Please have in mind that I'm living in Croatia, and parts here are expensive (in comparison to average salaries) plus, almost everything should be ordered, and usually takes a couple of weeks to be delivered. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    226.4 KB · Views: 68
Trust me, the hose is almost straight and looks like the picture I posted. I really don't know from where did you get the picture you shared, I took the picture from the part catalog (i have it downloaded, and I've checked on stain dinse online part catalog on the web and it's the same), plus I'm writing from my experience, I did replace that hose, I had it in my hands and I know how it looks like.

P.S. He can easily check the hose before ordering.
;)

Last edited:
Back