• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil leak proving hard to find on 1200 sport

guzziwranger

Just got it firing!
Hi all, hoping you might have some ideas for finding an oil leak my bike developed recently. I have a 2012 1200 sport with 32K on the clock. The leak is not a real bad one yet; but I am finding it hard to pin point the source? I could see some oil seeping around from behind the bottom of the LHS piston barrel after a long ride (1000km/s over two days)? So I pulled the tank and air box off when I got home, so I could get a better look. I found some oil pooled in the very bottom of the "V" on the top of the crankcase in the casting indentations between the barrels and then when they filled up it has ran over the shoulder of the crankcase fanned by the air rush and then became noticeable on the side of the crank case just in front of the LHS barrel? When I had a good look with the tank and airbox off, I thought the source was oil dripping from the hose clamp(s) at the top of the air box oil vapor collector? As the hose clamps had oil on them. So I tightened these up and cleaned all the the oil away. However after 1500Km/s of continuous running its come back. It must be something else like the oil pressure sender perhaps as that's in the vicinity? Anybody had a similar issue and can shed some light perhaps? I am going to have to pull the tank and air box again for another look..... I did carefully check the braded oil lines last time as another potential source and they seemed OK also?

Any help would be good.

Cheers all, Paul.

The oil pressure sending unit is the most likely. However, the best thing is to clean everything, then run the bike a short distance (20Km or so) and re-inspect. Did you make sure the connection for the oil lines were tight? I realize it is a bit of a hassle, but the only way to isolate the problem for sure. Also if you place some talcum powder around the sender and oil lines it will make the leak very evident when it occurs.

Hi John, no to be honest I didn't actually physically check the oil hoses for correct torque. So good point... when I pull the tank and air box again on the weekend I'll, double check them all, but if I recall, they looked pretty dry when I checked last time. What made me think it was coming from the vapor collector hose was that there was some oil smeared on the underside of the air box....and I figured the only way that could have gotten there was a leak dripping higher up and carried by the wind rush up under the air box. So that's what led me to think it was one of the oil vapor collector hoses dripping, as I could see some oil smeared when looking upwards through the "v" from the FLHS with a torch? But maybe not. Its a fair chance it may well be the oil pressure sensor now I have ruled the vapor hoses out, but your talcum power idea is very simple and worth trying also.
I'll keep you posted on my findings...

Thanks John.

Cheers Paul.

Hi John, pulled the tank and airbox again today, finally found the problem; leaking oil pressure switch as we guessed. Interestingly the terminal plug on top of the switch was also full of oil which makes me think the leak was coming up through the spade terminal , not from the threaded connection to the block? Interestingly this part has now been superseded by MG to a different switch design? The replacement switch has a single spade on the top rather than a din plug arrangement. Also the thread is smaller than the original unit, which means you also now need an adaptor. Shouldn't be a big issue, but I preferred the din plug than an open spade. I'll have to cut the existing plug off and terminate with a spade connector and then use a bit of heat shrink over the top with some silicone sealant in it to make sure the spade connection is water resistant. Also the adaptor now means you have two faces that have to seal rather than just one. More chances of future leak in my opinion. However, I'll be sure to use a bit of Loctite and correct torque. Bit of a hassle because my local dealer only had the pressure switch in stock not the adaptor....... so have to wait till mid week to get one.

Keep you posted.

Cheers Paul.

Someone at Guzzi didn't pay attention to make the new part backward compatible. I'd check with the importer and have them get with the factory. That is not the way to supersede a part. Oil leaking up through the sensor is the most likely failure. Leaking at the threads doesn't happen unless improperly installed.

Back