• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Painting Nails, runs red light, kills biker!

motoguzziman

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Mebbe time to add an IQ test to the driving test!! Change the law, so people like this get put away!!
Starting to worry about the next trip!

May 5, 2009
FROM STNG WIRE REPORTS

A northwest suburban woman was thrown from her motorcycle and killed Saturday evening after a female motorist -- allegedly painting her fingernails at the time of the crash -- failed to stop at a red light and slammed into the bike, authorities said.

The incident happened about 5:30 p.m. Saturday in a southbound lane of Route 12 at Old McHenry Road in an unincorporated area near Lake Zurich, according to Lake County Sheriff’s police Sgt. Scott Morrison.

Anita Zaffke, 56, of the 1500 block of Eddy Lane in Lake Zurich, died about an hour later at Advocate Good Shepard Hospital in Barrington after suffering apparent chest and abdominal injuries from being thrown from her motorcycle, Lake County Coroner Dr. Richard Keller said.

A Monday autopsy found Zaffke died of multiple internal injuries to the chest and abdominal area, as well as a spinal fracture, according to Keller, who said the death has been ruled an accident.

Zaffke’s motorcycle was stopped at a red light at the intersection -- which Morrison described as being T-shaped with a stoplight -- when a Chevrolet Impala struck the bike from behind at a high rate of speed, Morrison said.

Zaffke was thrown “a couple hundred feet," according to Keller, who said she was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash.

The driver of the Chevy has been identified as Laura Hunt, 46, of downstate Morris. She has been charged with failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident and the state’s attorney’s office is investigating further charges, Lake County Sheriff Mark Curran said. She was also hospitalized following the crash for non-life-threatening injuries.

Keller said the woman told police she was painting her fingernails and did not notice the light was red.

“There’s a lot of analysis they still have to work out on the vehicle involved in the crash to determine speed and braking,” Morrison said Sunday evening. “The investigation is ongoing but there should be charges against the woman in the very near future.”

Amazing, and very typical of some of the stuff i see out on the streets.
I bet she gets away with it too. :angry:

See this happen almost daily driving my truck through Europe. Two times a car has bumped into my truck while I was standing for a red trafficlight and both times they said that they hadn't seen me. My truck is 2.5 m wide and 3.8 m high and 16 m long and the lights on. So I couldn't believe my ears. :blink:
(Just for the record they were male drivers)

Luckily I was in my truck and not on my bike.

Can't help but think of O'Toole's Corollary of Finagle's Law here... "The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum."

Untill we start treating killing someone with a vehicle the same way we treat killing someone with a knife or other weapon, nothing really will change. Heck, you get more time in jail for smoking a joint than you do for vehicular homicide in most jurisdictions.

Back