• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Piaggio .... what the ...?!

Step back from all your righteous indignation and look at it from their viewpoint and you will see that what they are doing is nothing bad nor wrong. They are trying to prevent others from using their corporate id. Nothing more.
I understand this completely.
According to my attorney, Trademark law makes it so that you cannot represent yourself as the "trademarked" brand to sell goods (representing yourself as them) in a similar market. Oddly enough if I made (say) jewelry, they would have no case at all. GuzziTech is a Forum. There are laws protecting the end user for websites such as this one. It's a shitty move to send a Cease and Desist to a Forum. Just costing me a big handful of $, of which they lost my V100 sale, and likely any new Guzzi from here on out.

Well...

It's not "just a forum" though. You use it as a "funnel" to drive sales into your TWO "For Profit" Businesses. In fact, the commercial sides of your buisinesses, both have links from your forum as well as numerous references as such.

I'm not complaining nor trying to say that it's wrong to have profitable businesses.

I'm simply pointing out that the name "Guzzi" in this context, and with regard to your use of the name, and others like HMB, is that you use the word "Guzzi" in commercial for profit business(es) directly related to Moto Guzzi motorcycles and this in and of itself, absolutely gives Moto Guzzi, an ironclad platform to engage anybody (yourself included) who is using their name in this way, in a legal punitive action.

If they want to push it, they will prevail. I assure you.

With all due respect, your Trademark attorney is dead wrong and giving you very poor advice in my estimation.

Examples:

"Marvel and DC Comics Control of 'Superhero'​

The term "superhero" is trademarked by two companies: DC Comics and Marvel Comics. Each pursues aggressive legal action when other comic book publishers use this term. Critics of the practice have denounced these companies as trademark bullies, but other publishers have not yet contested their ownership of the term. Others think that the value of the trademark is not worth the hostility from independent publishers and the expense of lawsuits.

Apple Corps v. Apple Inc.​

Two major institutions have battled over the trademark "apple" for decades. The Beatles founded the Apple Corps music company eight years before Apple Inc. was founded by Steve Jobs. When the latter was first sued by the Beatles, Jobs agreed not to enter the music business and paid a cash settlement. However, Apple Inc. was sued again after it introduced iTunes. That lawsuit was resolved when Jobs agreed to purchase the trademark rights from Apple Corps and then sublet them back.

Washington Redskins​

This NFL team lost their team name trademark recently after the USPTO ruled that the name was insensitive to Native Americans. As a result, the team can no longer sue those who create and sell counterfeit Redskins merchandise. The Redskins organization has appealed. Those considering a trademark should extensively research the history of the word or phrase to ensure they won't need to change it later.

WWF vs WWF

When wrestling company Titan Sports changed its name to the World Wrestling Federation it was drawn into a legal fight with another WWF, the World Wildlife Fund, that lasted 13 years. The conservation charity took action to protect its brand from what it described as an “unsavoury” connection with wrestling, and, in 2001 a court in London ruled in its favour. Not one to take a beating lying down, the World Wrestling Federation challenged the ruling, and, after that was dismissed, it threatened to appeal. The wrestlers eventually gave in and spent millions rebranding to World Wrestling Entertainment, WWE. It also used the line “Get The ‘F’ Out” as a marketing slogan. After the World Wildlife Fund’s victory, a spokesman for the charity said: “It’s been the wrestlers against a cute little panda bear. And the panda won.

Instagram v LitterGram

Combating Britain’s litter problem was Danny Lucas’s goal when he founded LitterGram, an app that encourages users to share and geotag pictures of litter they see on the streets and report it to their local council. However, his app came to the attention of lawyers for Instagram and its owner Facebook who told him in September to change the name or face a lawsuit. They argue the use of “gram” in the title could undermine the world’s most famous photo-sharing site’s brand. Lucas says: “They’ve said ‘change your name’ and they’ve given us deadlines which have come and gone. We make an appeal and they don’t respond.” He has delivered a public plea to Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg claiming the “unreasonable demands that we rebrand will kill our momentum”, and last month it was announced that Instagram had dropped the case.

Facebook takes brand protection seriously, as evidenced by a previous wrangle it had with a teacher’s community website in the US called Teachbook in 2010 for using the word “book” in its name. In the end Facebook agreed to drop its trademark suit after the group changed its name to TeachQuest.

Starbucks v Sambucks

Starbucks has not been one to shy away from trademark battles with considerably smaller adversaries. The world’s largest coffee chain once went after a restaurant in British Columbia because it was called HaidaBucks and took a Texan bar owner to court over a beer he brewed and sold named Star Bock. Sam Buck Lundberg, a coffee shop owner in the small town of Astoria in Oregon, didn’t have long to wait for her Starbucks order when she used her name to brand her shop “Sambucks”. Starbucks sent her a cease and desist letter and reportedly offered her $500 (£400) to rebrand, but when she didn’t comply the case went to court. In 2005, a judge ruled in favour of the coffee giant, ordering her to drop the name “Buck” from everything in her store, including the coffee cups and the front window. Lundberg’s verdict? After the ruling she told ABC News: “People think this is a crock of crap.” "

Last edited:
Strange that Moto Guzzi is going after anyone using the name "Guzzi" in their title. Even BMW doesn't do this, although they did go after clubs using their symbol. Having the mark name in the title, such as BMW Owners of America, does promote the brand.

They (Piaggio & Co. SpA.) are actually obligated to defend their trademark against any and all usurpers. It's part of the Dealer Agreement.

Strange that Moto Guzzi is going after anyone using the name "Guzzi" in their title. Even BMW doesn't do this, although they did go after clubs using their symbol. Having the mark name in the title, such as BMW Owners of America, does promote the brand.
Agreed John, thanks. Twenty plus years of helping owners here, and more frustrating that I've watched other Clubs (MGNOC) and other brands Forum owners get celebrated for their help to promote.

You could probably go guzz-i-tech or some such. Watch them tie themselves in knots over that. Looking at the trademark filing it's for "Moto Guzzi" so I can't see where their problem is tbh. Then again there are greater minds

I can understand the frustration. I know it's not the greatest thing. However... What I cannot understand, is the desire of so many here who want to brow beat Piaggio and Moto Guzzi for protecting what is theirs.

I mean come on...

If people want respect for that which they have built and own, exactly like this REGISTERED TRADEMARK:

GTM®

Then you have to honor Piaggio and Moto Guzzi for wanting the same respect. They are doing NOTHING wrong by asserting their rights under the law. Not a damn thing.

Anything less, is just hypocrisy.

I know that this isn't all "touchy feely" wonderful, but it is what it is and acting like what they are doing to protect their intellectual property and trademark, is bad, is just disingenuous.

Last edited:
I can understand the frustration. I know it's not the greatest thing. However... What I cannot understand, is the desire of so many here who want to brow beat Piaggio and Moto Guzzi for protecting what is theirs.
I mean come on...
If people want respect for that which they have built and own, exactly like this REGISTERED TRADEMARK:

GTM®

Then you have to honor Piaggio and Moto Guzzi for wanting the same respect. They are doing NOTHING wrong by asserting their rights under the law. Not a damn thing.
Scott, love ya man, but here's where things get blurred for me. To start: You have BMW MOA that is still alive and well, as well as Moto Guzzi National Owners Club, unless they take that one down too. There's several other Forums using Guzzi in the name selling memberships, farkles and Ads to truly profit from. Unlike them, GuzziTech was founded as a "Owner Tips and Tricks" website as launched/shown HERE -- which this site still is. Do I link from here, sure, as do all of the others.
Additionally, I’ve spent a great deal of money and time launching my new trademarked business as GT MotoCycles (which is a completely separate business and website). I think there are many sites they can still chase using Guzzi in the name, like the one above. Additionally, their International trademark was just registered in 2021. We've been here in Sept 2001. This site is purely here for owner support and (I think) a promotional benefit to the brand, though they do nothing to benefit fully from it.
I can also tell you Polaris does backflips to support websites like this for all of their brands, mainly Indian in this genre.
And to clarify, it's Piaggio that sent the C&D, not Guzzi (though we all know they are one in the same).

Back