• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Potential new Cali owner - help needed

Vilim Berger

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Dear Guzzi family,

I'm looking to buy another Guzzi. I found one 2013 California 1400 Touring. The bike has relatively high mileage approx 100000 km / 60000 mi, it was slightly damaged (the windshield is damaged/scratched, the crash bars on the right side are bent and scratched, there is a small scratch on the front fender, on the chrome bezel of the front light, slight scratches on the side bag, and a cracked blinker. Overall the bike looks a bit tired and needs some attention and love, something I certainly can give to it. The price got my attention so I took a 3h road trip to take a look on the bike. Mechanically it seems ok, there are no oil stains anywhere, the bike starts easily when it's cold, nothing is rattling, and there are no funny vibrations. The seller (bike dealer - sort of) bought the bike on the insurance auction, imported it and now it is selling it.

The dealer told me that he doesn't have time to deal with this Guzzi, primarily because he's dealing with BMWs, what he did is he removed the broken crash bars and windshield and advert the bike.
He also told me that he doesn't have any records about the bike, no service history, and no service book. There is only 1 key and some aftermarket alarm/immobilizer system on the bike. I'm a bit concerned because there is only 1 key and I'm not sure that the dealer knows the user code

I don't mind the mileage, a friend of mine has the same bike just a bit younger (2017 model) with over 450000km with no issues. Cosmetic things are something that I'm looking forward to because I can do my custom thingy without regretting that I'm messing with a perfect bike.
Next week I'm taking a trailer and I'm planning to take the bike with me, but I still have some concerns before I buy the bike.

I'll take the bike on another test ride, but please tell me what to look at during the test bike, are there any obvious things that I need to put my attention to?

I'm really looking forward to putting another Guzzin next to my Breva. :)

Thank you for your attention. :)

Read Scott’s threads about keys, user codes, and sending the dash to Carmo. Make sure you understand that process and take those costs into account in the final purchase price unless you can verify that you have the valid user code. You may be able to find user and service manuals in the download section by contributing to the forum (which gives access to that section).

I did read it, it's should be the same as it is on my Breva 850, but for Breva, I have both keys and I know the user code. Plus since I have both keys I can change the user code at any time if I forgot it. That's why I wrote that I'm a bit concerned regarding that part. P.S. The bike has an aftermarket alarm with the immobilizer that potentially could be an issue, for example, if it's connected with the user code or if requires the user code for any reason. I'll check with the dealer next week before coming for the bike.

You may be able to completely remove the aftermarket stuff. If so, then the cost of additional keys and sending dash (with keys) to Carmo can be factored into overall purchase price.

I am not sure that the price will be lower than what we agreed on. The price is already 50% lower than the cheapest California that I managed to find in classifieds in Europe. The price is so low because there are challenges that will need to be addressed. :)
I'm more concerned about what to pay attention to - as far as the mechanical part is concerned.

…I'm more concerned about what to pay attention to - as far as the mechanical part is concerned.

Hello. Happy New Year!

Unfortunately, with a wrecked motorcycle, it is almost impossible to advise you what to look for.

I would look for obvious damage to the engine, and significant oil leaks or a broken engine or transmission case. If you can ride it safely, then I would get the bike up to about 50kph and put the transmission in 6th gear and try a full power run. See if the clutch slips at all or if she pulls smoothly up to speed without issue. You will have to use your own ears, eyes, and body to evaluate the motorcycle. There is no other way.

I would remove the aftermarket immobilizer while it is at the selling dealer and verify that you can still start the machine. If it is truly aftermarket, then it will have nothing to do with the Moto Guzzi system.

I would also try the common codes that people use like the last 5 digits of the Vehicle Identification Number or 12345. I have several posts about potential codes.

If you cannot identify the code, then just remove the dash and send it to Carmo in Holland and have them make you 2 new keys and read out the dash code for you. It’s less than €300 and it will be the best money you will spend. Whatever you do, DO NOT just start riding the motorcycle with just the one key because if anything happens to that key, you will have a boat anchor instead of a running motorcycle.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I’d be kinda concerned that the insurance totaled it. Why would they do that for just the cosmetic damage that you mention and all mechanicals are good? Maybe the damage and the mileage combined told them it was a write-off?

You probably already thought of this, but Since it’s an insurance write-off and the dealer imported it and he doesn't have or can’t be bothered with any records, does he have ownership papers to pass on to you? Are you certain you can legally title and register and operate it in your country?

The bike wasn't crashed, there is no structural damage and I've ridden the bike. As I've said, there are some scratches because of the small sliding, If it was a bigger slide then the scratches should be significantly bigger and deeper. True, crash bars took the most of the damage but they look saveable. The windshield has a scratch about 15cm long on the right side, plus the chrome bezel is also scratched.

I think that the combination of the mileage and spare parts price made the insurance company write off the bike. The insurance company usually assesses the damage according to the offer/assessment of the service/dealer, which in such cases does not repair the damaged parts but replaces them with new ones.
In this case (dealer repair), to make it 100% to the factory state it needs some expensive cosmetic parts:

(I've made a quick list of the most expensive major parts and found the approx prices on the Internet)
Front fender - 350€ - repairable
The windshield - 600€ - needs to be replaced
Windshield holder plate - 220€ - scratched, needs to be replaced
Windshield bracket - 450€
Right suitcase - 1300€ - repairable
Headlight - 650€ - repairable
Front right crash bar - 480€
Rear right crash bar - 550€
Right-hand silencer - 840€ - a bit bended and scratched
Only for these parts, there are 5800€, plus bolts, washers, brackets, and then painting and labor, I think that's why they totaled the bike.

There is no damage to the engine, no scratches on the cylinder heads or to the foot pegs, and even foglights are fine (probably they were off the bike when this happened).

20231227 123815
20231227 123742 20231227 123714 20231227 123801

20231227 123851

Last edited:
She looks much better than I had initially thought.

So, if you are the type of person that doesn’t need a perfect cosmetic motorcycle, I think you have a great find.

If it were mine, I would simply remove the saddlebags completely and forget the windshield and just make yourself a standard California. The other cosmetic stuff you can either repair or replace but to me, if cost is a concern, this would be the least expensive path and you would still have a very nice motorcycle to ride.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Same here. I thought it would look a lot worse.
I too would just do what you feel needs to be done and not make it perfect and ride and enjoy a great bargain.

Back