• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

problem with final drive... 09 Stelvio ~50,000Km

Forseti

Cruisin' Guzzisti
So... I just got home from ~5500Km ride.
At the last fuel stop I noticed...
IMG_20120521_123409.jpg

Got home and decided to investigate and found this...

IMG_20120522_150700.jpg

IMG_20120522_151021.jpg

If you look closely it looks like it may have primarily leaked while standing still??

IMG_20120522_151916.jpg

IMG_20120522_152011.jpg

Opened up the final drive... YIKES

IMG_20120522_153102.jpg

Drained the drive...

IMG_20120522_153522.jpg

Very little on the magnetic plug...

IMG_20120522_153552.jpg

Notice the pattern when it was done draining..

IMG_20120522_153718.jpg

Obviously the couple days of stupid hard rain while riding was not a great idea. Yea I know you have a vent mod Roper but I have not gone there yet and yes I should have.

The bearings feel good and no obvious problems with the seals visually other than the leakage which I hope to be largely due to the drop in viscosity of the gear oil due to all the water contamination.

We flushed out the bad oil and replaced it a few times so hopefully got rid of the water. Will be checking it and changing it again as required.

So what are the odds that the seals and bearings will have survived the water penetration?

Thoughts??

Shrike said:
Thoughts??

I think I'm going out in the rain and check mine right now.......

Well, Pete warned us.

Hopefully it didn't damage the gears. The seal and even the big bearing shouldn't be a big issueto replace.

There was no water crossings or submerging of any kind. This was changed out right before I left on the trip. There was heavy rain for two days riding on roads varying from nice paved to unmaintained fire roads. No creeks other than the water running down the road/tracks.
I was quite shocked to say the least.

Well, yes. I did say but generally my idea was pooh-poohed and i was accused by a couple of people online of simply trying to gouge people for something completely un-neccessary and I'm afraid those sort of accusations give me the screaming shits so I just shelved the project even though I'd got about ten kits made up.

While I'm sorry that this has happened it does tend to vindicate my stance on the stock breather which is a POS.

If anybody is now interested? I'll dig out the bits and make a few kits up. I think I costed 'em up at about $200 but I can't remember. New CARC is in the region of $4,000 I believe.

My guess is that the big bearing will not be a happy thing. I'd pull it to bits for a thorough clean and a looksee and replace the support bearings on spec. Chances are the seal leaked because the big bearing at least has gone belly-up.

Pete

OMG! Pete, as I sit here reading this in SHOCK, :eek: I contemplate the arrival of my new 2012 Stelvio NTX wondering what it is you have and how do I get it! This is unbelievable and I for one, certainly don't want to experience this as it rains a lot here in Ohio and the Midwest in general.

Thanks in advance Pete for the info.

- Scott

scottmastrocinque@me.com

As I said, I've got the parts around somewhere. I can make the kits up easily enough. You can also make your own easily enough but mine is delibrately designed to be robust and unobtrusive. It uses a piece of Bundy pipe mounted through a banjo to where the breather sits. This runs down the inside of the CARC adjacent to the disc and then connects by stainless speedflow fitings to a length of 3/8ths braided hose that can be run up to near the steering head or basically anywhere that is not going to get drenched in road-spray. I did a few prototypes where I mandrel bent the pipe but while I can still do this I don't think it strictly neccessary and if I ship the pipe 'Un-bent' i makes for a much smaller and cheaper parcel. I can easily do a photo-essay on installation which I can print out as hard copy and send with the kits if needs be.

Anyway. The ball's in you, the owner's court. If you're interested just email me.

motomoda@optusnet.com.au

Pete

PS. Smallblocks also have the same crap breather and if you ride in the wet they get full of water too. I can do a kit for them as well if people are interested.

pete roper said:
As I said, I've got the parts around somewhere. I can make the kits up easily enough. You can also make your own easily enough but mine is delibrately designed to be robust and unobtrusive. It uses a piece of Bundy pipe mounted through a banjo to where the breather sits. This runs down the inside of the CARC adjacent to the disc and then connects by stainless speedflow fitings to a length of 3/8ths braided hose that can be run up to near the steering head or basically anywhere that is not going to get drenched in road-spray. I did a few prototypes where I mandrel bent the pipe but while I can still do this I don't think it strictly neccessary and if I ship the pipe 'Un-bent' i makes for a much smaller and cheaper parcel. I can easily do a photo-essay on installation which I can print out as hard copy and send with the kits if needs be.

Anyway. The ball's in you, the owner's court. If you're interested just email me.

motomoda@optusnet.com.au

Pete

PS. Smallblocks also have the same crap breather and if you ride in the wet they get full of water too. I can do a kit for them as well if people are interested.

This was one of the earliest mods I put on my Stelvio. Pete, I think you are right about the price - I recall paying somewhere around $200. After seeing Shrike's pics, I am very glad I did. :eek: I hope the damage isn't too great, Shrike.

Bruce

BravoBravo said:
pete roper said:

motomoda@optusnet.com.au

Pete

This was one of the earliest mods I put on my Stelvio. Pete, I think you are right about the price - I recall paying somewhere around $200. After seeing Shrike's pics, I am very glad I did. :eek: I hope the damage isn't too great, Shrike.

Bruce

Pete

Interested !

Bob Bernstein said:
OMG, what's next?

Bob,

I figure that Jim B. at Rose Farm has these kits in stock and ready to install upon request. I'm thinking about giving him a call and having one installed on my NTX prior to pickup. It really makes sense. I live here in the Great Middle and ride somewhat frequently in the rain.

By the way, are you going to be at Lake Joy in August? I'm planning on attending with a couple of local friends. I'm expecting to be on the NTX by then. It's due to be delivered sometime in June but I can't pick it up until mid-July or so, due to a family reunion commitment.

Could this be one of the reasons why Guzzi recomend changing the final drive oil every 6ooo miles? Seems quite a short interval,unless they expect some water contamination.

stromcat said:
Could this be one of the reasons why Guzzi recomend changing the final drive oil every 6ooo miles? Seems quite a short interval,unless they expect some water contamination.

I doubt they're asking for 6K mile changes because of expected water contamination. I would believe it's more to get fresh, clean lubricant in that rear drive. I see by the spec sheet that the rear drive holds only 380ml of oil (about 12 oz), to transmit that much power without filtering or cooling.

Frequent change intervals also allow the owner to see if excess wear is happening in the assembly. I'll probably change mine when I change the rear tire. Seems like decent preventive maintenance.

Back