• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Racing the smallblocks

Holt

High Miler
GT Contributor
Don't know from where I got it, but somebody told that someone on this board actually are racing smallblocks.
Wonder if we ever will see some pics or have any tales told here....;)

there were quite a number of posts about that on the previous incarnation (the one now awaiting a new life if I understand correctly).

There's an advantage to using the "since last visit" search option - one sees posts in sections one would otherwise never visit ;)

BTW, you know about the smallblock sump spacer, no? 't Was conceived for the designer's racing purposes, originally ...

"Fader" of Moto Guzzi Classics, Long Beach, CA below, and the others HERE (though the bikes aren't shown), and other from the MGC crew further below.

Faderracer1.jpg

V50.jpg

And I just dug up a few more...

Our buddy Wayne:

wayne.JPG

Andy Wanca from PA USA:

Wanca5.jpg

Hi guys- sorry I haven't checked in for a while. I did post all my stuff on the old forum, so this time I posted all my Smallblock stuff in the pics area. Myself V65, Ed V65, Alice V50 and Wayne V50 all race Smallblocks on the West Coast. There was Andy V50 who raced his back East but only for 1 season. We will try to race them this year, but AHRMA (where are bikes are competitive) is a mess right now, so we will mostly race our Cagiva 650s in WSMC. Thanks Todd for posting some pics.

SF

Pretty awesome video, Fader. Enjoyed it quite a bit. That sure seems like a hell of lot of fun. I'm terribly jealous. :(

Hahaha. Don't be jealous! Just get out there and do it!
We do have a lot of fun, last year having an entire grid row of Guzzi Smallblocks was pretty cool. There was one point in a race when Ed and I on our V65s were battling for the lead going thru Turn 8 into Turn 9, which at Willow Springs is 5th gear, full throttle, fully leaned over/knee down. We came up on a lapper just going into the apex of 9, it was Alice on her V50. So Ed went outside and I went inside around her thru the turn! So we were 3-wide thru the apex on our Smallblocks which was so cool! (honestly, that's the only time I've been 3-wide thru 9, which is the scariest turn on the track, I thought we were all going to pile up)
Realistically, the Smallblocks are not the ideal bike to race for many reasons. But they are a great bike and really fun. We've managed to get 45 or so HP at the wheel out of them, and still retain reliability. It's one of those things, you race it because you want to, not because you want to easily beat everyone.

Re: Re:Racing the smallblocks

Fader said:
Realistically, the Smallblocks are not the ideal bike to race for many reasons. But they are a great bike and really fun. We've managed to get 45 or so HP at the wheel out of them, and still retain reliability.

Is that right, just 45 hp at the wheel? It seems a little low for a race-modified V65.

Back