• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rattly Head.

Thats why I keep hold of my 17year old VFR750, it never lets me down and I can get the spares today. If Mr Honda can do it why can't the Italians?. :? :?

Ian

I seldom ride my Honda to work because I fear I wouldn't make it home. It has dropped valve seats out of the head. It cracked the front brake rotor. It wore the cam out at 6000 miles. (on my dime) The clutch cable attachment point on the engine block broke off. The clutch arm seal leaks if I don't replace it every year, so there is oil all over the place again. It usually overflows the carbs. (nothing like sitting at a red light and suddenly noticing the pavement is wet with gas). Plastic bits all over the carbs that have broken off.
Other then that, they are perfect. :roll:

:lol:

Wayne Orwig said:
I seldom ride my Honda to work because I fear I wouldn't make it home. It has dropped valve seats out of the head. It cracked the front brake rotor. It wore the cam out at 6000 miles. (on my dime) The clutch cable attachment point on the engine block broke off. The clutch arm seal leaks if I don't replace it every year, so there is oil all over the place again. It usually overflows the carbs. (nothing like sitting at a red light and suddenly noticing the pavement is wet with gas). Plastic bits all over the carbs that have broken off.
Other then that, they are perfect. :roll:

:lol:

Wayne you need to look after your bikes better, how old is the Honda? Mines 17 years old and looks like it just came out of the bag, no oil leaks, no fuel leaks will still push 150mph and handles like a new one. It did have a regulator fail after 15 years though. I'm not sure my Guzzi will look half as good in so many years but I'll be doing my best to keep it in good condition.

Cheers

Ian

After 3 weeks the parts came through and the bike went in for repair.
Knowing that "some" dealers can be a bit shifty I marked the position of the bolts on the belly pan so i could check that the oil and filter had been changed along with the cams and followers.
Went to collect the bike, oh dear, the marks are in the same place even though i've been told the oil and filter has been changed and engine flushed.
Got the mechanic to drop the pan, dirty oil filter, and dirty oil too.
When I left the shop the oil and filter had been changed and i was busy composing my complaint to the factory!

Nice to be back on the Stelvio though!

Thats bl*+dy disgraceful, you should name and shame the workshop. I wonder how many times they have told customers the oil and filter have been changed when it hasn't, and perhaps other jobs as well.

I'll wait and see what Guzzi do about it before naming them.

I know one thing, my bikes never going near Croydon again!

Damn, spoke too soon!
Ever since the cams and followers were replaced I've had a tick tick tick from the left hand head.
This has now grown to a clatter clatter clatter so back to the shop for their advice, and to log my visit in the diary.
"We'll get back to you" they said, and indeed they did.
"We need your bike, and you will have to leave it with us"
So in the next few days it will have another ride in the Guzzi Assist van.

Bummer.

Still at least it means more time on the Breva!

So what's the plan? Another lash-up? God's teeth this is as bad as Belfast Dave's saga of woe. IMHO it is no longer any good just guessing, as seems to have been done. If it was my job I'd be taking it apart to the last nut and bolt and going through it with a fine tooth comb. I'd also probably give the 'Customer' a loaner but that's me. As it is if there are consistent problems like this the ONLY way around it is to go in hard and measure and inspect EVERYTHING!

Pete

Yeah but Pete, your a decent mechanic, after the lies and bullsh*t with the oil change issue I wouldn't trust this lot with a plug change.

I had issues with service, in general, too ... not like this mind you ...but when I didn't get a proper answer I went directly to Moto Guzzi Italy.
Wrote to them in Italian (One advantage) and let them know how I felt.
I can't say it helped but it got my fustration out!!! :evil:

I agree with you ...... not many decent mechanics out there.
Thats one way to let MotherGuzzi know.
My 2 cents.

londonrob said:
Yeah but Pete, your a decent mechanic, after the lies and bullsh*t with the oil change issue I wouldn't trust this lot with a plug change.

Dang, I hate that feeling. Not having any trust in your dealer.
They can take a simple problem and turn it into a hate for a brand real fast.

I collared the Piaggio aftersales guy at the Excel bike show a few weeks back and soon after the bike took another ride in the Guzzi Assist van, although this time NOT to In Moto but instead to Corsa Italiana.

Collected it today and it sounds and rides very sweet.

Turns out there were no shims on the cams to control the end float, so they were sliding back and forth like good uns (which would explain the clattering)

Still peed off that the original cams only lasted 5000 miles :evil:

I have the 2010 year. I have noticed as well that there is a fair amount of sideways play in the cams. I start wondering if i have shims missing? Cant imagine.
What is the stock / recommended free play? Would be an easy check. :D

pnguzzi said:
I have the 2010 year. I have noticed as well that there is a fair amount of sideways play in the cams. I start wondering if i have shims missing? Cant imagine.
What is the stock / recommended free play? Would be an easy check. :D

Going to join in on this, my cams / valves are noisey too -(2010 NTX) and a freinds, (2009 pre ABS) We have checked the valve clearence a few times and are always fine but we both have a lot of end float on the cams and wondered why the end float on the cams isn't controlerd with shims?

Should it be?

All my boxer twins in the 80s and 90s had shims on the cams to control end float.

I think there was a factory bulletin about this, mr roper might know?

Back