• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Ready-to-Ride Weight for '12 NTX

ChuckH

Tuned and Synch'ed
I asked this question before and did not get an answer, but there are more bikes in owner's hands now, particularly in Oz, Europe and the UK, so maybe now the information is available. Everything I read says the Stelvio is "heavy" and I'd like to know what that means.

Has anyone weighed their bike -- the newer model Stelvio NTX, fully equipped with the larger fuel tank, crash bars, center stand, skid plate, hand guards, rear aluminum cases, etc -- when it was full of fuel and ready to ride.

My current ride is an '09 Wee-Strom and set up with similar accessories and hardware and full of fuel (5.88 US gallons) it weighs 580#. At my age (79 this August) I'm concerned about buying a new bike that is very much heavier than that.

I would really appreciate getting information on what that new bike weighs. Thanks.

Edit: I just looked at the USA website for Moto Guzzi. Their technical information on this bike says that the "Curb Weight (Ready to ride)" is 598#. I don't know how they define "Curb Weight". Nor do I know if it has all the add-on accessories mounted. If the bike is both fully equipped and full of gas, 598# seems awfully light. Rider Magazine (Jan, 2012 issue) recently reported that the Yama Tenere (6.1 gallons) and BMW R1200 GS Adventure (8.7 gallons) both had a "Wet Weight" of 628# As Tested. That's why I'm interested in finding out the real weight for the NTX.

Well, no answer yet, so I've gone a different route to get an answer to my question.

Motorcycle Consumer News (Feb, 2010) tested a 2010 Stelvio ABS. It wasn't the NTX so it was missing several accessories mounted as standard on that model. They listed the Wet Weight of the bike they tested at 612#. Adding weights for the accessories on the NTX, I estimate the weight of a '12 NTX at 686# (311Kg).

The estimated amounts I added to the 612# were: Crash bars/attachment (20#), Rear Cases/Mounting (25#), Hand Guards (2#), Running Lights (2#), Larger Windshield (5#), 2 1/2 Gallon Larger Fuel Tank (20#). I discounted any weight reduction for the smaller diameter fork tubes and smaller rear wheel/tire.

Ride safe.

I certianly dont have accurate weights, but I'd say 1 lb for hand guards and and probably about the same for a larger windscreen. Does the NTX have a larger screen?
I hope you're heavy on the crash guards and cases as well, but the guards are solid steel, easily 10 lb, but 20 seems high. Overall, I dont think the cases are more than the guards.

Keith,

I may be a little heavy on some of the numbers. If so, chalk it up to the natural pessimism of an old engineer.

I have my Wee set up with the same accessories (aluminum rear cases, crash bars, skid plate, center stand, etc) as the NTX and I know it's weight -- 580# Wet. The '12 NTX is virtually identical in length (WB=61.4" Stelvio, 61.2" Wee), and has the same size tires (110/80-19 F, 150/70-17 R), but it's just a heavier bike. How much? Not really certain at this time.

I test rode a used '10 Stelvio in NC recently. Moto-Nexus in Hendersonville had it on consignment. It had been set up with all of the NTX accessories by the owner. The fuel gauge was showing one bar, which I assumed was <2Ga. The places where I noticed it's weight (compared to the Wee) was taking it off the side stand and control and manuevering when stopped or slowly moving. I could walk it forward/backwards on their workshop floor but I would not try to hand-walk it on to their Handy Lift, which I can do at home with the Wee. As expected, the weight was not an issue when I was on the road.

Ride safe.

God Bless that you are thinking about another bike at age 79. I don't know the Stelvio's weight either, but I do own both the Stelvio (09) and a Vstrom. I have both equiped as you mention- all the accessories- highway bars, bags, centerstands and top boxes, which are the heavier accessories. I love both bikes and the Stelvio is slightly heavier than the Vee, but much more stable at any highway speed. The VStrom probably handles the really tight twisties better, but the Stelvio is just shear joy to ride at any speed. It is very well balanced so slow parking lot speeds are fine.
At age 79 if you are worried about weight, just take a pass. But if you want to really enjoy a truly great machine- take a chance and buy a Stelvio- you will not regret the purchase. The older, smaller tank bikes may better suit you, if you are that concerned about weight.

Bob,

Thanks for the good words. You're right, God has truly blessed me with reasonable health this far into my life.

I would really like to own/ride a Guzzi at some time in my [riding] life and the Stelvio (with ABS, a must for me) seems to best fit my long distance touring and camping trip needs. It's most like my Wee-ABS with a more upright riding position, long travel suspension and the capability to be loaded like a pack-mule. And, the increase in weight is not too great until I fill that large fuel tank completely, which I only need to do when I'm headed out on a long trip.

I probably need to call Jim at RFC, commit to the Orange NTX that he's expecting in June and get the process going.

Chuck,

There aren't many weight saving changes to be made on the Stelvio, but here are some: -10# for Lithium ion battery, -7# to -12# for carbon-fiber muffler, -1# for alum. reaction arm. A few grams can be saved with titanium nut's bolts, but probably not worth the expense. If you go with a less convenient waterproof soft saddle bags there's probably a 10# savings there. MG already took off the engine side panels from the 2011(EU) model. If you need or want a steel bash plate that will add about 5#.

Are you set on the NTX? I remember orange only being available in the standard model - not sure. The NTX comes with a narrower rear wheel, not sure what the weight difference is there. Probably around 5# less for the NTX.

Also, you might want to find the weight difference between the cast and spoked NTX wheels.

You'd have to check with a dealer to confirm that the warranty is not affected for the changes.

Rafael said:
Chuck,
Are you set on the NTX? I remember orange only being available in the standard model - not sure. The NTX comes with a narrower rear wheel, not sure what the weight difference is there.

Rafael,

Thanks for the weight saving suggestions. I'm just going to get the NTX and see if it's too heavy for me to manage as received. As I've said, I've ridden a used '10 and, once I was rolling, I had no problem handling the weight.

I'm told that the only Stelvio coming into the US this year is the NTX. I've also been told that it has two possible colors -- a gloss flat black and a burnt orange. Two of the dealers I've talked to have one of each on order and I believe MPH has several on order. Per the specs, all of the '12s have the narrower rear rims. The specs also show the spoked rims. These are not my choice and I may change them out to the cast aluminum rims quickly.

Europe, UK, OZ have a Stelvio Model called the 8V. It doesn't have several of the NTX accessories -- metal skid plate, crash bars, rear cases, hand guards -- but it does have cast aluminum rims instead of the spoked rims. When the 8V Model comes to the US, if ever, is a pure guess at this time.

No doubt is is a hog when full of fuel, so is the S10 and GSA. Ride height slightly lower from what I've read and the local dealer told me. I cont wait for mice to arrive....it's in the states I can feel it! :roll:

Forgot to mention, the colors for the US are Lava Black with spokes, Burnt Orange with aluminum rims. Last year when I started my research I was set on the Orange...when I ordered last week I choose Lava Black. I already have a Burnt Orange bike and a burnt orange Polaris RZR...love the color but I hope to get this thing dirty and the flat black with spokes seems to be a good decision for now. Hope I don't have second thoughts when I finally see them side by side this Month.

Chuck

Back