• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

"Recovery mode noticeable to customer"

cheese

Tuned and Synch'ed
On page 171 of the Norge manual in the Injection section, there is a description of potential errors and associated symptoms. The top item relates to "Pressure Sensor" as the error and the resulting symptoms include "Recovery mode noticeable to customer". My bike has been displaying the red triangle on start-up with a dashboard code number 7. I have the oil pressure sensor on order but had not "noticed" any running issues until yesterday. Bike alternately looses, then regains power while going at steady speed on level ground. At about the same time the red triangle will go away if it appeared when starting, or appear if not there when starting. Is this the affore mentioned "recovery mode noticeable to customer? 2007 Norge.
thanks,
Peter

Peter, I would not run the bike any more until the dealer or other shop can verify the oil pressure. What's the production date of your bike? Metal plate under the front edge of the tank.
Sounds like you may be the victim of a fractured oil pump, well noted on this Forum.

Thanks Todd, production date 3-2007, #112994. No oil can display or oil pressure failure dashboard code. Rode the bike home 450 miles yesterday..

cheese said:
My bike has been displaying the red triangle on start-up with a dashboard code number 7. I have the oil pressure sensor on order but had not "noticed" any running issues until yesterday.

cheese said:
Thanks Todd, production date 3-2007, #112994. No oil can display or oil pressure failure dashboard code. Rode the bike home 450 miles yesterday..

OK, that's confusing, so do you have dashboard code 07 or not?

I have dashboard error 07, never 08. 35000 miles. I've also heard about "surging" and related acceleration issues. Wondering if the "noticeable to customer" thing in the service manual is what I, and others may be feeling, that is the ECU going into "recovery mode" as the result of dashboard 07 error, oil pressure switch failure?

Now I'm confused. There is a different error code for the switch (07) and oil pressure(08) correct?

cheese said:
I have dashboard error 07, never 08. 35000 miles. I've also heard about "surging" and related acceleration issues. Wondering if the "noticeable to customer" thing in the service manual is what I, and others may be feeling, that is the ECU going into "recovery mode" as the result of dashboard 07 error, oil pressure switch failure?
Now I'm confused. There is a different error code for the switch (07) and oil pressure(08) correct?
Correct, 07 is the sensor, and 08 is the oil pressure. The fractured oil pumps give enough pressure at idle, but lessen as the revs rise. I first strongly recommend getting the pressure tested without riding it any more.
Recovery mode is VERY apparent... meaning it will barely take throttle and won't idle. Usually it stays until reset with software once the issue is fixed.

Thanks much. Will check pressure and perhaps look at the pump when replacing switch.

Peter

Replaced oil switch and checked pump output. Cold engine 45psi at idle, 58 at 2500rpm. Hot engine 30 at idle, 50 at 2500rpm. Warning for oil switch failure gone but now, and perhaps before as well, there is a warning for the Lambda probe, ECU 21. Didn't notice this warning or code in diagnostics while searching previously as it's not stored like dashboard errors. This comes and goes while riding and alternately runs very well, or very poorly and does not seem to follow warning indication on dash. Sometimes runs well when warning appears and poorly when no warning displayed. Going to check connections to probe and if ok probably look to replace unless there are other ideas. Thanks for all the help!

One of the wires for the heating element of the Lambda may have an intermittent open. Just replace the lambda sensor.

Not sure about the codes for Guzzi but typically there are at least two codes for the O2 sensor, one for the sensor and one for the heating circuit in the sensor.
If the code you are getting is just a general O2 sensor fault then it is likely not the sensor but something else making the bike not run the way the ECU expects the bike to run.

cheese said:
From info on this site, sensor may be NGK OZA 591 BB2. Is this correct?
thanks,
Peter

The trick is getting the correct connector to the bike's harness. The sensor part is pretty much the same for all vehicles, the connector is the tricky part. Match the connector before any purchase.

Cheese, do you know anyone who has installed the GuzziTech PC-V with AutoTune? They would have replaced the standard Lambda sensor with a Bosch wide band version and will have one lying around gathering dust.

Should be able to score it at a reasonable price. If you want to pay for shipping from New Zealand, I could send you one of my cast offs. PM me.

kiwi dave said:
Cheese, do you know anyone who has installed the GuzziTech PC-V with AutoTune? They would have replaced the standard Lambda sensor with a Bosch wide band version and will have one lying around gathering dust.

Should be able to score it at a reasonable price. If you want to pay for shipping from New Zealand, I could send you one of my cast offs. PM me.
As it turns out, I had a cast-off from my Duc S2R1000 left over after ECU change to race version. Same sensor with longer leads. To recap, after replacing oil pressure switch I still had an ECU error which was masked by the oil switch fault. These are not stored in a place I can get to them and review but only display when "active". The lambda probe error came and went and appeared to be cycling from default mode to "normal" operation. This caused the bike to run "ok" while the warning light was on, and poorly when the warning light went off. As the heater circuit measured the correct resistance, I assumed the sensor circuit was at fault. Went to a couple auto parts stores and none had a listing for the specific lambda probe I needed. My feeble memory then thankfully kicked in and I remembered the Duc cast-off and installed it. Now everything is back to normal and running fine. Thanks for all the good advice!

Peter

Sounds like the same problem I had with mine, first t was oil pressure sensor warning, which was replaced then started getting lambda sensor warning which eventually burnt out. that was replaced and touch wood no problems since. i found that the pipe was missing that comes out of the bottom of the air box and oil was dripping right onto the lambda sensor, new pipe on and working a treat now.

lmrn1 said:
Sounds like the same problem I had with mine, first t was oil pressure sensor warning, which was replaced then started getting lambda sensor warning which eventually burnt out. that was replaced and touch wood no problems since. i found that the pipe was missing that comes out of the bottom of the air box and oil was dripping right onto the lambda sensor, new pipe on and working a treat now.
Sounds like Guzzi's suppliers have good statistical control over thier processes as many bikes seem to develop the same issues. Lambda probe, oil pressure switch, oil filter fitment, CARC bearings/seals, dashboard issues, windshield motor, etc. (not that I'm counting). Mine has been fine since this most resent glitch. I am still quite happy with the Norge as an all day mount and have not yet been stranded by any of these niggles.

Back