• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rumours again, too close to the source

RJVB

GT Reference
While this board was temporarily without mother, disturbing rumours popped up on a French forum. In fact, a member living in Mandello del Lario, mentioned a meeting of town officials with Piaggio officials including IIRC Colannini, and not long thereafter, there appears to have been a radio broadcast which claimed that

Guzzi has 2 months to boost sales, and if not, the factory will be closed and the brand discontinued.

BTW, work at the factory hasn't finised, and employes are again on "technical unemployment" (= for technical reasons) for the last week of May, or so.

Let's keep everything crossed that again this is just a rumour, and that Torresan's earlier remarks of support to the marque are still/more trustworthy!

I think I touched/commented on this before, and forgot to comment on it again here... from my understanding, Guzzi SpA is supported by the Italian Government, so there is no way that they would ever be dissolved.

RacerX wrote:
I think I touched/commented on this before, and forgot to comment on it again here... from my understanding, Guzzi SpA is supported by the Italian Government, so there is no way that they would ever be dissolved.

Interesting, hasn't the Italian gumbyment been dissolved something like 56 times in the last 50 years. I don't think they can be taken seriously.

Remember "Ciccolina"?

Roblatt said:

Interesting, hasn't the Italian gumbyment been dissolved something like 56 times in the last 50 years. I don't think they can be taken seriously.

Exactly, which is why you shouldn't be too worried when they say that the factory will be closed ;)

Italians, on average, are pretty laid back folks - they mighta closa it and they mighta not. Time for some wine:p

Muley wrote:
Roblatt said:

Exactly, which is why you shouldn't be too worried when they say that the factory will be closed ;)

Italians, on average, are pretty laid back folks - they mighta closa it and they mighta not. Time for some wine:p

My Italian neighbors in Thiene were fond of saying that "South of Rome is Africa." After a few drinks, they'd let that geographical line ease north to Florence, etc. They were referring, I suppose, to the "Mezzogiorno" issue, as they clearly viewed the south and southerners as lazy and slow. No, Muley, they weren't yankees. :p

Whatever the truth of their stereotype of Italy's south, the north is anything but laid back. It seemed to me when I lived there and recent trips have confirmed that northern Italy, at least, is a powerhouse of industrial and technological development. FIAT, coming soon to a Chrysler dealer near you, is but one example. I don't expect to see many Sebrings sold in Thiene.

Bill

Ah, but it has been said often enough before that if Italians had a little bit more of the German rigour genes, they'd have left Germany in the shadow long ago.

Seen from the right perspective, the South isn't so very laid back either... but as a very good Italian friend of mine likes to say: as usual, the truth is in the Middle, often forgotten. As by coincidence, he's from the area of Piacenza ;)

Todd: I don't know how reassuring it is to know that Guzzi is supported by the current Italian government. Dunno how I'd feel about accepting a "gift" from Il Capo Berlusscolini :silly:

About the rumour: actually, it turns out I posted about it above about 2 months after I'd first seen it mentioned on yet another forum. Somehow it re-surfaced. Not that it matters, as in the meantime, a new rumour has invalidated it as a pure press hoax ... :S

Bill said:

northern Italy, at least, is a powerhouse of industrial and technological development.

Bill, are you trying to cheer us up:silly:

I suppose Mandello del Lario is indisputably in Northern Italy. That doesn't bode well for keeping the ancient factory going does it? Moto Guzzi probably wouldn't fit in with "a powerhouse of industrial and technological development". :laugh:

Perhaps moving the tooling to the Ural plant is a way to keep it going. After all, Royal Enfield survived with a similar tactic.:eek:hmy:

And, "laid back" is certainly not an insult, in case anyone construed it that way. Italians are "laid back" compared to say, Germans, just as Southerners are laid back compared to Yankees. Is that analogy better ?

Imposing that kind of deadline on a company during the global economic downturn seems a tad unreasonable to me though...

Motorcycle sales seem to be down across the board for the most part. I could understand them saying that for say a 5-10 year, span, but jeez...

2 months?

Back