• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

running in a new engine

rossco

Just got it firing!
Hi about to get a griso 8V black devil. Have read pro and contra about running in. Everything from motoman saying bed pistons in bores early (and I'm sort of convinced on paper) through to no don't ruin the engine. I've just joined the site today and perhaps I'm not searching the forum correctly. There must be mechanically savvy folk out there who would be able to give their comment?

Many thanks,
Rossco

Motoman has a good approach. Vary RPM, build high combustion pressures to seat rings. Also don't lug the engine. Follow the RPM guide in the owners manual increasing RPM obtained as mileage increases. Occasionally going over the RPM recommendation won't hurt as long as you don't do that continually. These engines are well built. The worst thing you can do is baby it too much.

I have used Motoman's "break in" method on all of my new vehicles (cars and bikes) since the mid 90's - including my Griso. For me, this has consistently resulted in motors that do not burn oil, and produce better than "typical" horsepower numbers.
Examples: Yamaha FZR 600 produced 4 horsepower more than any other that the shop I used had dyno-tuned. Never burned a drop of oil and ran flawlessly for 2 race seasons until I sold the bike.
Infiniti G35 Coupe: motor did not burn oil - these motors were "expected" to burn a quart of oil every 1500-3000 miles per Infiniti. Ancedotal evidence from the forum I frequented at the time made it clear, mine was one of the very few that did not use any oil.

Hi all, thanks for your kind comments and replies. I must say that I do appreciate some of Motoman's philosophy but actually find the article forwarded by Walter to be perhaps the best approach. What I'd like to ask the author of the wear in article is whether to stick with mineral based oil (as opposed to synthetic) until the full wear in at 12,000 miles.

In the absence of being able to do so do any of you have a comment?

Regards,

Rossco

Hi all again,
I appreciate the opportunity to discuss these issues before I get my new bike next week or so (long sea voyage to Australia!).
Can anyone advise me as to what the Guzzi Griso 8V 1200 cc DELIVERY engine oil is and also what the recommended oil is post run-in? Ditto what the DELIVERY transmission oil is and the DELIVERY final drive shaft is AND the post run in oil?

I couldn't find this in the manual on line.

I'm tending to believe that sticking to non-synthetic oil until 12,000 miles is good in all the three above instances (engine/gearbox/final drive). This is in the instance of earlier than recommended changes of oils (- but replacing with SAME delivery spec oils) THEN at the recommended (600 mile?) interval moving to mineral oil to the equivalent of manufacturer's recommended oil(IF the recommended oil is synthetic) being careful to practice a gradual increase in maximum revs over the ensuing period (with scrupulous positive pressure on rings but not overloading the throttle AND equal emphasis on fully closed throttle following brief max allowed revs loading).

Interesting that I spoke to someone at work this morning, he has a big recent model 1100 cc BMW boxer, oversees running historical locomotives (on a technical basis- workshop supervisor, we are talking steam locomotives of late 19C to 20 century and total workshop overhaul of everything on a loco) and his comment re running in was past 12,000 km (about 7,500 Miles) all was done and mentioned that also ( as a proof) said with 125 thousand miles on his earlier beemer all was fine (then upon inquiry it was with a rebore "only" in the process but the big-end was fine).

So, I'm very focussed to the point of being obsessive, but I begin to think that there is indeed truth to careful and progressive running in (wearing-in) with correct oils. This is Moto Man plus the additional restraint of correct oils and
correct restraint, if prepared for the longer haul. So it is polishing the bores gradually.

My big query, before I start basing my considerations upon BMW opinions with the possibly true opinions of "superior metals and earlier period use of chrome rings/bores" etc. IS what is the reputation of Guzzi manufacturing technologies and materials in recent years?

I'm into Guzzi' in a big way and sold my Mk11 Le Mans for the wrong reason (in 1984) and regretted it ever after.
Just wanting to ride my motor sickle and treat it well.

After this I''ll desist fellow guzzistas.

Rossco

Mineral oil won't take the heat generated by the 8 valve. Also the gear box and CARC will be just fine on synthetic. In other words, use all synthetic oils, engine, gearbox and CARC. That said, it is your bike, if you want to take the chance it is up to you. BTW, if you don't use the recommended oils especially in the engine, you may void your warranty.

john zibell said:
Mineral oil won't take the heat generated by the 8 valve. Also the gear box and CARC will be just fine on synthetic. In other words, use all synthetic oils, engine, gearbox and CARC. That said, it is your bike, if you want to take the chance it is up to you. BTW, if you don't use the recommended oils especially in the engine, you may void your warranty.

Thanks John,

will take your advice.

Ross

Back