• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Scott's How To Recover The 5 Digit Security Code. (CARC Dashboards)

This was great information! Thank you for the detailed information. Though it wasn’t exactly what I wanted to hear. My recently acquired MGX has the original key broken off in the ignition so I have ordered a new ignition switch/keys. I do know the user code thankfully. But looks as though I’ll never be able to get away from using the code every time I start the bike. Without shipping the day to the Netherlands that is.

You should only need to enter the code if the immobilizer has been activated. Otherwise just ignore it.
Currently I have to turn the ignition on with a flat head screwdriver. So it prompts for the code every time. Minor inconvenience, but something I would like to get away from eventually.

Zach, what it sounds like you are not understanding is that the key is chipped, and communicates to the dash as part of the "security" system. If you have the User Code, you can simply swap the keyed assemblies (ignition, gas cap and seat lock), purchased as one set, that comes with two keys. Ping us via the STORE tab top of page for more info and pricing.

Zach, what it sounds like you are not understanding is that the key is chipped, and communicates to the dash as part of the "security" system. If you have the User Code, you can simply swap the keyed assemblies (ignition, gas cap and seat lock), purchased as one set, that comes with two keys. Ping us via the STORE tab top of page for more info and pricing.
I have a new ignition on order that is coming with a pair of keys. Still working on the gas cap thing (made a new thread). So if I understand you/Scott correctly once I get the new ignition installed and enter the code it will recognize those keys and I'll be good to go?

No. You must program the keys into the dashboard. You need to go to the MENU. Select SERVICE. Enter the Service Code for 1400's which is 34534. Select New Keys. Follow on screen prompts.

Last edited:
50 years of riding.....about 50 cycles owned and never more than a couple of keys that came with those bikes that you just put in the ignition when you wanted to go for a ride. Im surprised Guzzi dosent have a special code for the side cover......never know if someone will want to steal my seat. Ill figure it out someday if I have to but if I cant Ill part it out. Maybe theres a you tube video out there showing people how to do this....if not Im screwed! Its great being old......PS....Who steals a Moto Guzzi?

50 years of riding.....about 50 cycles owned and never more than a couple of keys that came with those bikes that you just put in the ignition when you wanted to go for a ride. Im surprised Guzzi dosent have a special code for the side cover......never know if someone will want to steal my seat. Ill figure it out someday if I have to but if I cant Ill part it out. Maybe theres a you tube video out there showing people how to do this....if not Im screwed! Its great being old......PS....Who steals a Moto Guzzi?

How to do what?

It is all very well explained here.

Exactly...why cant it just come with regular keys. I had a dealer take the alarm fob off so I would have 1 less button to push everytime I got on the bike. I sometimes have a red service light that comes on so I read a post to check the sensor under the clutch lever. Seems all that senser does is tell you if you if clutch lever is in or out!!! Do I need a sensor for that. Im sure Im in the minority on this subject but Im OK with that. I do LOVE this bike

I don’t know where you have been reading but you’ve got it completely wrong.

I cannot count the number of times I’ve explained this but I will make a note to remember this for reference.

The dash is a very simple computer. It uses an antenna in the ignition switch to read a transponder chip which is encased in the key head.

Each key has a unique transponder code. This is different from the physical cut in the key.

CLONED KEYS are exactly that. Both the physical cut of the key AND the transponder code, is completely duplicated from one key to another. THIS IS NOT HAVING TWO KEYS!

This is having TWO OF THE SAME KEY from the dashboard’s point of view. CLONED KEYS look identical to it. They are indistinguishable from each other.

The rubber tag or plastic code card, with the number on it, originally attached to your original keys, is the key CUT CODE. It gives information to a locksmith on how to cut the groves.

The dash is capable of recording 4 unique transponder codes. So, this means that 4 different keys can be programmed into the dash memory. Each of those 4 keys will have the exact same groove cut into them so they fit into the ignition and lock tumblers, but they must have different and unique transponder codes.

The dash requires a User Code to be entered when it was first put into service. It asks for a new code everytime the motorcycle is started until one is entered, then it asks no more.

This code serves a programming function as well as an override function. 2 very different functions

If you have a cut key (one that obviously fits the tumblers), but its transponder is not programmed to the dash, then you can insert the key. The dash will recognize that it is an unregistered transponder (key) and ask you for your User Code. You can then enter the stored user code, and this will override the dash security and allow the unprogrammed key to start the engine. It will also allow you to then program the key to the dash.

If you have lost the user code, you can use the function inside the dash menu, to recover the user code. It requires two exactly cut keys with different transponder codes which have already been previously programmed into the dash memory.

(Remember, you can have up to 4 different transponder coded keys programmed at the same time in the dash.).

So when the menu function of Code Recover is selected, it will ask you for the first key, which you insert and turn on and off, then it will ask you for the second key which you do the same thing. It will then allow you to enter a new code which it will then store in the dash as the new User Code.

——————-

So, in your case…if you have found the second key, it MUST BE ALREADY PROGRAMMED IN THE DASH or it will not start the motorcycle without the User Code.

The ONLY WAY an unprogrammed key will start the motorcycle is with the stored User Code.

You can defeat this whole security system code thing and start the motorcycle by unplugging the dash but none of the dash functions will work and if you plug the dash in on a running motorcycle, the engine will again be stopped and disabled from starting again, instantly.

There is no method available to any Moto Guzzi dealer whatsoever, to remove a user code from the dashboard.

There is no method to reprogram the dash to erase a user code by any Moto Guzzi dealer.

Carmo in the Netherlands, actually systematically opens the dashboard and directly jumpers onto the chip where the user code is stored, and then reads the stored data in the chip, literally bit by bit on the chip. They then reseal the dash and reprogram new keys and/or provide the stored user code to the owner and guarantee their dash repair and reseal for 1 year.

This is how the system actually works.

We should just make this explanation a Sticky for reference. It comes up all the time as motorcycles change hands without keys or codes.
I bet you wish you never had to see this thread again but.............
I finally got my MG, but the previous owner can't remember the code. I believe I have the 2 original keys. I remember reading about this a few months ago.

"If you have lost the user code, you can use the function inside the dash menu, to recover the user code. It requires two exactly cut keys with different transponder codes which have already been previously programmed into the dash memory."

I have looked all over in the manual and through the menu on the dash. I cannot find a "recover the user code" option. I find "change the code" but you need the original to go that route. I read later in this thread about adding a key in the service submenu but you need the code to get in there too. I'm at a loss. Is it possible that the 2014 California does not have that in the menu?
Thanks in advance,
Ken

I finally got my MG, but the previous owner can't remember the code. I believe I have the 2 original keys. I remember reading about this a few months ago.

"If you have lost the user code, you can use the function inside the dash menu, to recover the user code. It requires two exactly cut keys with different transponder codes which have already been previously programmed into the dash memory."

I have looked all over in the manual and through the menu on the dash. I cannot find a "recover the user code" option. I find "change the code" but you need the original to go that route. I read later in this thread about adding a key in the service submenu but you need the code to get in there too. I'm at a loss. Is it possible that the 2014 California does not have that in the menu?
Thanks in advance,
Ken
Are you sure the two keys have different transponder codes? If they are clones of each other, you can't recover the code. I am in that boat. If I remember correctly, "recover the user code" does not come up unless the two keys are different.

I'll confirm with Buzz. Pretty certain they are original. But even in the manual, there does not seem to be a "recover code" option. I did have both keys with me but the only option I could find required me to input the old code. Buzz's thought Todd might know. He may have needed it when he reprogrammed my bike. So, maybe it's in his files?

I'll confirm with Buzz. Pretty certain they are original. But even in the manual, there does not seem to be a "recover code" option. I did have both keys with me but the only option I could find required me to input the old code. Buzz's thought Todd might know. He may have needed it when he reprogrammed my bike. So, maybe it's in his files?
I don't keep such, but IF I entered one, it is always the same as the Service access code: 34534

Thanks in advance,
Ken

This is because the information I wrote is for the CARC bikes with this type of dash:

IMG_0696.jpeg

The 1400’s are different. Everything is written down in the Service Manual which is available in the DOWNLOADS section to supporting members.

Resetting of the code on a 1400 requires 2 different transponder keys and the dealer PADS unit. This function requires dealer intervention on the 1400’s.

There are numerous suggestions in this thread (starting at #39) as to possible codes a great many people use and later forget. I would try all of those first. I would also try the service code which a great many dealers set the code to. SEARCH Service Codes.

Last edited:
That one didn't work. So either I need to bring it up north to you or to GP in SD.
GP is much closer but was thinking I'd bring it up and leave it for you to have a
once over.
Thanks,
Ken
We aren't a dealer with PADS, but happy to give it a once over, as we've never serviced the bike, only tweaked the map ~2.5 years ago . A service and map tune are likely in order, book via the APPOINTMENTS link HERE.

Back