• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Should I buy a new Breva?

Corn Oil Kid

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Preaching to the choir, no doubt. However, I am going to need all the help I can get to convince my wife now is the time to act.

Secnerio, I bought my last new Guzzi in 99, love it, runs better than it ever did, really a great bike and I have now tangible reason to get another. I don't make much green, but I have great hours! But my wife does very well, so as a family we can't complain.

I love the Stelvio, have ridden it hard and it's super, but its priced in the mid $15,000s. I have also ridden the Breva 1100 and loved it too, and I know I could get a way better deal on this assume bike!

Negative, the economy is plunging.

Posstives, we both have our jobs. Our house is far from upside down, have one car payment, 2 years. ( Bought a 08 Impala for my wife, really a great car for them money, she loves it!) Two gilrs 12 and 9, they like to ride!

Bottom line, she will likely let me do it, I feel I can get a very good deal, really like the black! But should I? I have a great bike, runs supper, does everything I think I need it to. Push me over the edge, please!:)

Buy it. The power train is great and the suspension works well enough. If you want to improve the suspension more Todd can fix you up. Great bike for the money now and once you get it, the 99 will be up for sale soon after. You just may want to keep a few bucks aside for a better seat. The stock tends to be too soft, and after a few hundred miles you are on the seat pan. If/when the old forum is restored there are some threads on the seat issue.

Buy it. I just bought an 1100 at a 25% discount because they're being replaced by the 1200. I don't know what your dollar is doing, but down here they're forecasting 35% price rises next year.

Bugger me where to start!!!!!!!!!!

I have just come home from three days away on the Breva, and it is just the most fun bike to ride that I have ever owned. Doesn't mean that others might not be as good, just that it is a beauty.

For my style of riding which is definitely not peg scratching as I am a mug punter when it comes to piloting a bike, there is BAGS of power available - more than I almost ever use, but spin the engine up over 5000 and the bloody thing makes me scared....

I don't think that the 1100 engine is a second cousin to the 1200 Norge or 1200 Breva, I like the fact that it is simple and it doesn't pop fart or misbehave in any way when closing the throttle like nearly every 1200 Norge seems to. In fact it never even pings under load - last Friday when we left it was 37 degrees C and I was loaded with luggage and the engine did not rattle, ping, detonate whatever you want to call it once. Granted this might be the result of our Aussie fuel being a bit better quality than that available elsewhere.

If the Guzzi V twin sound is your thing, I have a Staintune pipe with a Stucchi crossover to get rid of the catalytic converter and with the baffle out it sounds the ducks nuts, with the baffle in the rumble is a head turner.

Ergos, well I had the seat remodelled and it is OK, my bum just needs a bit of hardening up. I am going to put a set of risers on it to take some weight off the arms, but that's a personal thing.

Screen: the standard one is crap, bin it. If you want a screen you need to go aftermarket or mod the OEM one, again a personal preference - suck it and see engineering is the only way to solve the problem.

Reliability, well it just runs - nuff said.

Drive train, there is a bit of free play in the shaft which is noticeable when backing off, but you soon get used to it and it is just a non issue.

Gear box, well it changes the gears just nicely thank you very much. I have never had a false neutral, ever.

2 UP, The Minister recons it's just fine, in fact on Saturday we left her Nevada at the Motel and I dinked her down to Australia Zoo, about 1/2 an hour and when we came back in the afternoon the heavens opened up and it pissed down so hard that I had trouble seeing where I was going - but the bike felt sure footed and stable even though the road in places had 2cm of water flowing over it and as an added bonus the rear shock was set for my weight alone so the ride was was a bit like a porpoise playing in a bow wave whith the extra weight if you know what I mean.

What else do you want to know?

Maybe bad points???

Let me think

Ummm well there is a bit of a vibe through the bars which makes my hands tingle after a couple of hours. I wish it was a bit lighter as it is a top heavy bike (not that I have ridden many others like it to compare) and low speed handling needs care. The centre stand scrapes every now and again, but I don't care - just don't ride so hard. The front suspension is I think a bit squishy, but as I said I'm a mug punter and really don't know, heavier fork oil helps a bit, but I am about to install the Hyperpro front end from Todd - not that expensive. Clocks sometimes get a bit of condensation in them - who cares, just park it in the sun for a while and it goes away.

Anything else, just ask and I'll do my best!

So now what are you waiting for - just buy it...... :p

Here is what I did to the seat...

b11_seat-1.jpg

b11_seat-2.jpg

b11_seat-3.jpg

b11_seat-4.jpg

b11_seat-5.jpg

Ok, I pulled the trigger! Agreed to buy a new 07 in Red from Rosefarm Classics! I pray for an early spring!!!!:woohoo:

Corn Oil Kid wrote:
Ok, I pulled the trigger! Agreed to buy a new 07 in Red from Rosefarm Classics! I pray for an early spring!!!!:woohoo:

Woo Hoo Good on You !!!!!!!!

You bloody beaudy mate - IMO the Breva is an "honest" bike, not the fastest, comfiest, flashiest nor any other superlative that you might think of, but it goes well, seems to be reliable, and is a lot of fun.

I am sure you will not regret it - just plan on keeping it for a looooong time, as resale is likely to be very low, what with the 1200 now available and budgets being a bit tight with the downturn and all..

A few months tinkering in the shed waiting for the weather to clear should be enjoyable, and give you some time to add some farkles - enjoy B)

Corn Oil Kid wrote:
Congrats!!

I bought an 07 from MPH (Houston) in August 08. My first bike, so have been taking it easy...spending a small fortune on gear (you know how that goes) :p

I have really started to love it...riding a lot more, finding excuses to go riding etc...
I have no frame of reference, but from everything I've read - the people I've spoken to - it's a greeaat bike.

Mike C. is right....once it hits 5,000 it starts to get excited. Sounds much better too after the first service.

Curious to see how Mike is getting on with the Staintune exhaust....Mike, is that the best one on the market? I've heard great things....(any chance of a vid?)

Cheers!

Corn Oil Kid wrote:

congrats! :woohoo:

pull your gear on, don't wait so long and start riding it! Whatever the temperature, it gives a warm feeling.. ;)

That's me in Sweden on the rural gravelroads last summer.

Many congrats. You will not regret it. It's also good to see you will be getting the faster, smoother, sexier red model ;-)

Mike C - wrote

The centre stand scrapes every now and again, but I don't care -

Mike, this is an easy fix. I had the same problem when I did the Great Alpine Road in Vic (which if you haven't already ridden I suggest you must) with the Minister and luggage on board.
Fit the left hand pannier, adjust the exhaust pipe so it's just a breath below the pannier (it won't burn the pannier since it's not touching - mine hasn't yet and it's 2 years since the mod). Next, remove the centre stand and cut the rubber stopper to a minimum. Then crank up the preload. This will give you the extra clearance to avoid the scrapes.

BTW, fully loaded I calculated me, the minister and all her hair dryers weigh approx 200kg.

cheers

Robert

Finally got around to registering the new forum.Been lurking for quite a while and reading with interest Mike C comments about the Breva and agree with advice about whether to buy or not.I've had mine about 3 years 22000 km and consider the bike once set up with suspension and screen adjustments is a great all round motorcycle.My bike was probably one of the first ones in Australia (December 05) and I've had the CARC bearing done under warranty.The only other thing that has gone wrong is the fairly common issue with the fuel gauge reading 3/4 full when tank is filled.I have done quite a few 2-3 day trips around S.E. Queensland and Northern NSW (mostly 2 up) and have enjoyed every km.The ground clearance issue with the centre stand is almost non existant with the preload on maximum and the stopper sliced to 1/3 of original size.Two up it still grounds occassionaly but usually on bumpy corners when pushing a bit.Solo its now fine.Suspension is very comfy on a trip and the seat has to be the most comfortable for rider and pillion on the market.Power is adequate but will surprise when revved to + 5000 as Mike says.
The thing that impresses me is the general overall quality of the finish and construction.It definately is 1'st class and feels solid and built for the long haul.Mine looks like new after over 3 years and gets favourable comments often.
I reckon go for it you wont regret it but also agree with Mike C about long term purchase comments.
I also have the Staintune muffler and enjoy the exhaust note much better than the standard quiet exhaust.
Happy Days

hi guys, am new breva 750 owner.... 06 bike but ever since i bought, its been in the shop with gear problems, anyonw out there have any experience with gear problems.... in tas, limited options anybody?

its been in the shop with gear problems

What kind of gear problems? My 750 was sometimes a little sticky going from first to second, but I haven't heard of any notable transmission problems endemic to the Breva 750.

Yes. I just bought a Griso as a second bike. Bought an 06 Venture for the wife & me for our anniversary so that we could travel in comfort (especially her). But now we're not talking about practical, keep the wife happy stuff. We're talking about soul. We're talking about character. What else is there? Harley -- no no no. Japanese -- just another cookie cutter bike. Guzzi makes machines that touch you in your manly heart. A Guzzi gets your mechanical hormones all tingly. There's just no other choice. How did I ever convince my wife to spend so much on a selfish endeavour? -- simple: I've only got 20 years left to live. If you love me, honey, you'll understand. I don't do drugs, fool around, and am a minimal maintenance man. Worked for me. Buy your Breva & discover something exciting. -Henry

nervousnelly wrote:
hi guys, am new breva 750 owner.... 06 bike but ever since i bought, its been in the shop with gear problems, anyonw out there have any experience with gear problems.... in tas, limited options anybody?

The only problem I had with my 750 was an intermittent problem when shifting into first. Letting out on the clutch just a tad took care of the problem.

What gear problems, Nelly? Is it being repaired under warranty? Our 750 has 55,000km on it and has been faultless. Toured Tassie last March - fantastic.

Welcome Kid ... a bit belated and certainly too late to suggest you look for nice, low-mileage 2nd-hand Brevas if finances were a bit tight to keep the old bike and get a new one. But you've done it, so ... congrats!
But if you can, hold on to the '99 as long as you can and you're not 100% sure you are *not* going to miss her!

Post some pics soon!

nervousnelly wrote:

My wifes '07 B750 lost a rear bearing in the transmission. Lots of squeeling when down shifting and coming to a stop. Our dealer made repairs including replacing a defective dash and a warped front rotor all under warranty with no questions asked and a big smile.

Back