• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Should I trade my Multistrada for a Stelvio

onemoremile

Just got it firing!
Hi, I currently own an '07 Ducati Multistrada, and in less than 8,000 miles, the valve guides need to be replaced and the gas tank warped and is now leaking. I'm very nervous about its overall reliability and quality. I'd like to know how happy you guys are with the Stelvio. I know it's a newer Guzzi, but I want to know if there are serious quirks or problems before I take one out for a spin and consider a trade. Any information you could provide would be most appreciated! Thanks...

Hi Scott, tricky one here... if you're just looking to get into a "trouble-free" Italian bike, I'd say no. All manufacturers have their issues (see THIS), and Guzzi is no different. The only few major issues with the Stelvio was early engine cam/lifter hardening. It's well discussed here and in the main Tech section. Other then that, I think the most recent Stelvios have been relatively trouble-free, all things considered.

The Stelvio is nothing like a Multi. It's much heavier and slower rev'ing... though it makes some nice top-end power with the new motor.

Other then the issues, what don't you like about the Multi that would make you look at a Stelvio?

Scott

I run an 09 Stelvio which unfortunately has been a bit of a nightmare. It is strange that you have had so many prolems with the Multistrada. I also own a 97 Cagiva Elefant with a Ducati 900SS motor and the guy who services that for me cant say enough about the quality of the Multistrada. In fact it is currently favourite to supply a new engine for my Elefant when the current motor wears out.

I have run the 'Fant from 6,500 to 27,500miles with next to no trouble. It did need new piston rings last year but Ducati John in Leeds says that a few late 90s Ducatis had duff rings. The bike itself is totally different to the Stelvio. It is light, torquey, responsive, flickable and best of all LOUD. The standard can on the Fant is far louder than the Stelvio with a Mistral can and no baffles!!

If yours is an 08 model surely you are covered by warranty on the issues you have at present?

The way things are at present I would swap the Stelvio for a Multistrada tommorrow and go back to a real 1970s Guzzi on the side!!!

Ackers

Good pc answer Todd.
Apart from the cams which were a one off mistake I think, the only real issues which are appearing is sensor failures, in particularthe rear wheel speed sensor and in my case the engine speed sensor, on the left barrel, I think.
Generally Bmw Gs's have the same issues, probably using the same Spanish sensors,, 100 for $5, lol.
The issue now is that dealers are not stocking the parts, as in the old Aprillia days.

Back