• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

skidmarx windshield remake

ncassidy

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I bought a skidmarx windshield for my Norge thinking it would perform better then the stock one on a long haul. I installed and immediately was disappointed on how ugly it was and it actually did not perform as good as the stock shield. Basically it is to high and way to high in the up position, so you are looking through it instead of over it. Visually it looks like a sail. I removed it and started taping it around the perimeter so I could trace a line on to make it about 1" bigger then the stock shield and about 1.5" taller. Got it back from the glass place that cut it yesterday. Put it on the bike and so far am happy with the look. Just to damn cold to give it a good test. One thing that bothers me is how the shield sits on the bike, it seems to be somewhat cockeyed, not lining up to the body work like the original. Almost like the holes were drilled off center. I am in hopes that the mods I did will do the trick.

I have a picture of the windshield. Took the bike out for a toot and the shield works fine.

skidmarx.jpg

I am very impressed with how well the stock Norge windshield works. I'm 6' and get no buffeting around my helmet, just smooth air and I'm never looking through it. It's amazing how clean the Norge windshield cuts through the air at speed. At least for me it does. I have no plan on spending good money on what I don't think is broken but to each his own.

I have the first generation of this screen and have finally taken it off because of design problems. When I reached speeds of 75 mph and up the front end would start to vibrate noticably. I balanced the tires twice, made sure the adjustments on the front forks were equal,etc.; basically checked everything and then removed the screen and installed the stock screen to test my suspicions. No problems with the stock screen. I need to call David at Streetfighters and see if he will send me the later model or at least give me credit for this screen.

I have to agree that the stock shield works well considering how small it is. That is why I had the skidmarx cut down to 1" wider then stock and 2" taller. I find with it cut down that it works the same as the stock shield. Wind in the face when in the down position and less wind in the face in the up position. Must say I do like the tint.

My skidmarx screen didn't seem to sit straight.
I took it off and laid it on a flat surface, and you could see it was clearly skew, only three points toched the surface.
With a hot air gun, I was able totrue it up, and now it fits far better.
I do agree about the shape though, and the quality of finish on the cut edges is terrible.

Interesting remarks about the high-speed instability. I've noticed some too, past 110km/h, I guess I *could* put on the OEM screen to see if that improves what's already a minor issue ... ;)

I recently felt a problem when in the slipstream of trucks, the bike feeling it was jumping side to side slightly.
On checking, I found the rear wheel bearings (in the CARC) had some play, giving about 2mm movement at the rim top and bottom. Of course the Norge was supposed to have the better bearings in the CARC, but either the new ones are not much better, or some old ones slipped through. The bike only has just over 4k miles on the clock.

Also, from my experiences with screens in the past, I think that the Skidmarx screen is too flat in profile across the top, in fact mine has slight wings which turn out on either side. I have always found a flat screen liable to sise to side turbulence at higher speeds, and have equally found that rounding off the horizontal profile (looking down from the top) has always improved this. Again, a hot air gun can help.

Back