• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio Engine Clatter at Idle

jukester

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
2009 Stelvio; 40k km. Bike starts easily cold and idles perfectly and "quietly". After a couple of miles ride (or after idling for about 5-10 minutes) engine makes a loud, clattering sound when idling (at a stop sign, light, etc.). Once rolling, the clattering sound is not noticeable. The bike has been rollerized, valves set correctly, correct 10W- 60 oil, TBs balanced and TPS reset, sump gasket and sump spacer gaskets replaced, all fluids replaced, no change in idling sound with clutch lever in or out, exhaust clamps and gaskets all tight and secure, no error messages, no warning lights, no low oil pressure light, etc.. Since it was rollerized shortly after I purchased it, I can't recall if the idling noise was there prior to rollerizing but I don't think so (but not positive). It was rollerized about 3K km ago. Bike pulls perfectly up to redline, shifts smoothly, and otherwise runs like a dream except for the god-awful clatter when idling after warming up.
So my questions are: As the engine oil warms up, what occurs in the oil delivery circuit that could maybe cause this? Am I causing any internal damage, even though it has been running this way for at least 3k km ? Is there anything in the roller installation (C kit) that might cause this? Your thoughts ?
And yes, I do wear ear plugs. Thx for any suggestions.

Noises are nearly impossible to diagnose here via the net. That said, can you guess on where the sound is coming from?
It could be the hydraulic cam chain tensioner as a guess. I’ll ping our friend Jim Hamlin and ask him if he’s seen anything fail there. I have a similar noise lately in my ‘13 NTX. At first I thought it was a loose skid plate. I’ll dig into it if it gets any louder.

Noises are nearly impossible to diagnose here via the net. That said, can you guess on where the sound is coming from?
It could be the hydraulic cam chain tensioner as a guess. I’ll ping our friend Jim Hamlin and ask him if he’s seen anything fail there. I have a similar noise lately in my ‘13 NTX. At first I thought it was a loose skid plate. I’ll dig into it if it gets any louder.
Yes, I agree noises are difficult to diagnose over the internet, so I thought it better to just describe a god-awful clattering at idle rather than post a recording.. It seems to come from somewhere in the engine; not specific to one side or the other. Would a cam tensioner issue only occur at idle after the engine has warmed up ? Thanks for checking with Jim Hamlin.

Would a cam tensioner issue only occur at idle after the engine has warmed up ?
Generally opposite, but mine like yours, seems to get louder once warmed up. I don’t want to take you down the wrong path here, as it may be something far more serious on yours.
Jim’s words…
We've seen a couple over the years that became noisy, mostly at startup. We've replaced a couple. If I recall the right side is easy, the left isn't, we may have had to remove the left cylinder head to do it. I've never seen an outright failure though.

Welcome, and no need. I’ll move this entire thread over.

Problem solved.
The right hand cam chain tensioner was mistakenly installed upside down sometime during the rollerization process. Pulled the tank, re-installed the tensioner right side up and no more clatter. Also, there appears to be no damage or ill effects after running in this condition for approx 2000 km.

Problem solved.
The right hand cam chain tensioner was mistakenly installed upside down sometime during the rollerization process. Pulled the tank, re-installed the tensioner right side up and no more clatter. Also, there appears to be no damage or ill effects after running in this condition for approx 2000 km.
so what was the correct way to install - plunger end in first or does the plunger rest directly below the bolt/plug (by plunger I mean the end part with the small oil hole on the side that slides into the sleeve)? Was it straight forward / any special tricks to putting this in?

Screen Shot 2023 12 30 at 73554 AM

Back