• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

T3 850 piston pin clips alternatives?

Bug

Just got it firing!
I see that these pin clip are about £8 plus post etc, any one know of a cheaper option? £8 for a bit of bent wire is a bit of a rip off....

It’s not expensive if it never comes loose. 🤔

Using an unproven aftermarket substitution, creates a risk that most anybody would gladly trade £8 to avoid an engine catastrophe.

Point to ponder…

I kinda know of this sense about being taken advantage of financially , just ordered a crank key (front sprocket, chain drive) and was charged $11.00 and tax was added to that ! A simple half moon key , sorry but this is simple thievery. It was on an 1100 Jackal . Peter

I kinda know of this sense about being taken advantage of financially , just ordered a crank key (front sprocket, chain drive) and was charged $11.00 and tax was added to that ! A simple half moon key , sorry but this is simple thievery. It was on an 1100 Jackal . Peter
Here it is, each step of the supply chain adds a bit of profit for that organization. The cost to make it, then it goes to a supplier, then it goes to Moto Guzzi, then it goes to the dealer. Each step needs to make a profit or the part won't be there. On top of that there is shipping cost at each step. Now if the part is not used by any other manufacture, the costs go even higher.

The savings on aftermarket pieces vs. expensive OEM, are soon overshadowed by the poor quality and fitness for intended purpose of the former.

We just had this exact thing occur here…

OEM stuff costs because it is the real stuff and in Moto Guzzi land, with her limited production, it cost a lot like John Zibell said. Lots of mouths to feed.

Gentlemen, stop making excuses for what this , I've spent 43 years in the motorcycle industry. This enormous part 1/2" long by 1/4" deep and an 1/8" wide and over 3 weeks to arrive is not feeding many mouths ! It's the reason so many run from dealerships shortly after purchase, isn't that the reason you were (or are ) in business ?

Gentlemen, stop making excuses for what this , I've spent 43 years in the motorcycle industry. This enormous part 1/2" long by 1/4" deep and an 1/8" wide and over 3 weeks to arrive is not feeding many mouths ! It's the reason so many run from dealerships shortly after purchase, isn't that the reason you were (or are ) in business ?

In my shop I used OEM parts always unless they were NLA and even then, I would search for NOS.

I only used aftermarket parts if I had no other choice.

It’s not making excuses. I buy parts for my collection and it is always factory parts.

Motorcycles are not cheap! They never were and quality parts have never been cheap.

If you are going to play, then plan to pay!

Last edited:

Oh Peter, come on now…

I had to ponder this for a day to be able to translate Canadian into English. 😆

An $11 Woodruff Key is expensive but knowing Moto Guzzi, it’s an unusual size.

Again, that’s one of those components that if it fails, you have an ugly mess on the end of your expensive crankshaft.

The real question is what did you do with the original one? 🤔

I’ve never needed to buy a Woodruff key before. I just gently knock the old one out with a drift, put her in a ziploc plastic sandwich baggie, and reuse her on reassembly.

Not so much mouths to feed, but profit to keep functioning. It is lucky to still get a factory part for a bike that is as old as an 850 T3. Try that with a Japanese bike!

Absolutely John!

Clearly evident when you go to Italy and you see how many really old Piaggio vehicles are still running around all over the place, like the Ape, which has been in continuous production since 1948.

You can still get most every component today!

I’m so glad to be out of the mainstream motorcycle industry.

The ubiquitous, unbridled hatred and resentment of anybody actually making a living or any profit whatsoever, is just disheartening and disgusting.

Members here use the term “Stealership” all the time and it angers me so much.

None of them has any idea how quickly you can tie up hundreds of thousands of dollars if not a million plus, just opening and stocking a facility like that, only to be berated and maligned every single day.

Why this negativity exists nowadays is just so beyond my understanding.

Last edited:
They charge several dollars for a sump plug seal that costs a nickel too. So what? It costs money to stock things. If I don’t want to pay, I find another source. I’ve known people that owned dealerships. They weren’t getting rich. They were nice folks too. If you hate your dealer so much you can’t stand to see them make a profit, go somewhere else.

They charge several dollars for a sump plug seal that costs a nickel too. So what? It costs money to stock things. If I don’t want to pay, I find another source. I’ve known people that owned dealerships. They weren’t getting rich. They were nice folks too. If you hate your dealer so much you can’t stand to see them make a profit, go somewhere else.
And if you don't support your dealer, he goes out of business then no support from him for you. And if you don't support this site by donating, it to may go away.

Just to continue this discussion , the charging output from my 2018 Eldorado was very low , 13.6 v max . The dealer agreed to get me a replacement alternator, pretty big job ( I arranged to replace it myself and they could charge Guzzi for the labour) good deal all around . A little over a month later it arrived ( 4 holes punched in the box , no packing what so ever) The packing slip showed both the retail and dealer cost . Around $1200 retail and their cost about $800 , not crazy percentage wise , however (remember it's Chinese) , on line the exact same alternator ,( as per the tag on the alternator) would be shipped to me for $212.00 ! That's not the dealers fault, but really who is responsible for what must be just random pricing . So maybe the woodruff key I'm waiting for (and keep in mind , there's no stocking fee , as I had to prepay) is being hand filed by a staff machinist in Lake Como just for me :) . As an aside , the same dealership has taken my payment for a 2020 Triumph Bonneville clutch cable (no cables in stock at all) , expected delivery 6 to 8 weeks . So in fact I still use the dealer , and That's My Rant for now . Good thing I have another Guzzi to ride .

If you don't like your dealer here, Calgary is only 1200 km away. :D
I fully support your idea of 2 MGs !
I have used Fuller Metric in Langley for metric, but Woodruff keys?

Last edited:
I usually get my woodruff keys from mcmaster carr, they come in boxes of 50 or 100. Not sure you can buy one though, and I'm not sure you'll save any money... but it will be here the next day!

Just got back from International motorsports and the key will be another couple of weeks :) . The one I jury rigged is still working fine, after all , where's it gonna go :) ! And hey , good things take forever ! Thanks for the updates though , Peter

Peter I am not familiar with your actual application but a Woodruff key is usually nothing more than a locating part. Once the part, flywheel etc, is located correctly by the key the part is torqued down to hold it securely in place. The key is then just a long for the ride. When I raced Mercury outboards I never even used the key as I timed them with a dial gauge and didn't need the timing marks. BTW good hardware stores will usually have various Woodruff keys available in the fastener section.
kk

Thanks again for all the follow-ups, but as mentioned a bit earlier I'm going to suffer through with the supply delays :) . The Peterbuilt chopper with its new to me 1100cc Jackal is running great , and it'll give me something to do next winter , and I need projects ! Peter

Back