• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

The press is always so critical...

scottmastrocinque

GT Godfather!
GT di Razza Pura
Been reading more press writing about this bike, waiting for the good warm weather when I can really enjoy her.

I've come to the opinion that moto-journalists nowadays just like to bitch bitch bitch and bitch some more. They never offer any real useful information or insight, just complaints about how it doesn't weigh 300 lbs, and how they think the active body aerodynamics is BS (it's not, I experienced it firsthand in freezing cold here in Ohio and IT WORKS AWESOME at reducing the pressure of cold air hitting me), and complaints about this or that really insignificant bullshit.

Hogwash! Moto-journalists be damned! Idiots. 🤮

So far, I love the motorcycle and I only have about 100 miles logged on her. I think it is really a great achievement for Moto Guzzi and I am thrilled to be a part of it.

No vehicle, at any price, is PERFECT. None. I've owned 100+ motorcycles in my lifetime and there were things I loved about all of them and things I wish were slightly different but hey, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry. Right?

Getting ready to roll her into my workshop and begin the installation of all of the factory goodies I got for her. I love wrenching on my own stuff. I find it entirely relaxing listening to my music, spinning wrenches, and discovering all of the little nuances and what is under her skirt! :D

I'll be making some videos to post and share for others who might need them.

Funny, that’s why I didn’t last as a journo. I wasn't entitled enough, was asked to "dumb down my writing," and they didn’t want pure honesty based on my 1.2m street miles... Oh, and apparently I was too Guzzi biased when I was contributing. Heh.

Look forward to your input Scott!

Looking forward to seeing the videos Scott, thank you! I'm envious you can work on your bikes during the winter...I really need to see about getting some heated workspace during the winter so I can knock out my projects outside of riding season (and get a motorcycle fix when it is 20 degrees out...).

That’s my impression too.
Take the quick shifter for example, a lot of complaints.
But then compare different reviews (not the big motorcycle magazines though), and the nuances shows right away.
For example, people bitch about the Mandello QS and celebrate the equivalent on a competing BMW.
Then read the actual comments here and there, and find that there are most often similar complaints on the BMW QS.
Or on Ducati, or on Yamaha, or on Kawasaki…

And what about the Mandello wind screen?
Yet journalists bitching about it doesn’t protect you from a heavy rain.
No s**t Sherlock, it’s not designed to guarantee you being dry, look at the moderate size of the wind screen for crying out loud.
Yet people tend to compare it with a full size touring monster.
I sometimes wonder if those people struggle to work out which boot is right and which one is left…😆

On another note, I find the QS working OK especially downshifting.
Upshifting sometimes needs moderating with the throttle.
But both the winglets and the wind screen works great, and suits me and my type of use of the bike.
I don’t want a screen as tall as those on, say the Yama Tracer, or big as on a Yama FJR1300.
They also have the drawback of blocking your helmet’s ventilation, making it hard to vent away fog or moist while a lower screen let the airstream directly on the visor.
It’s really a matter of taste, nothing more right or wrong.
There are pros and cons for both alternatives.
I enjoy the Mandello which gives both the naked bike feel when in that mood, and a decent weather protection when needed.
I was in the market for a fun, exciting bike, which was still capable of touring adventures.
Plus it looks apart from the mainstream bikes, more of a showroom piece than a dull everyday thing.
I think the Mandello is spot on.

Been reading more press writing about this bike, waiting for the good warm weather when I can really enjoy her.

I've come to the opinion that moto-journalists nowadays just like to bitch bitch bitch and bitch some more. They never offer any real useful information or insight, just complaints about how it doesn't weigh 300 lbs, and how they think the active body aerodynamics is BS (it's not, I experienced it firsthand in freezing cold here in Ohio and IT WORKS AWESOME at reducing the pressure of cold air hitting me), and complaints about this or that really insignificant bullshit.

Hogwash! Moto-journalists be damned! Idiots. 🤮

So far, I love the motorcycle and I only have about 100 miles logged on her. I think it is really a great achievement for Moto Guzzi and I am thrilled to be a part of it.

No vehicle, at any price, is PERFECT. None. I've owned 100+ motorcycles in my lifetime and there were things I loved about all of them and things I wish were slightly different but hey, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry. Right?

Getting ready to roll her into my workshop and begin the installation of all of the factory goodies I got for her. I love wrenching on my own stuff. I find it entirely relaxing listening to my music, spinning wrenches, and discovering all of the little nuances and what is under her skirt! :D

I'll be making some videos to post and share for others who might need them.
I'm pretty sure that I've read every article, review and watched every video on the V100 and now I'm just ready to ride.
Looking forward to seeing your videos though because I might learn something.

Exactly the same as me. I wanted something I could potter around on, or blast around on. My first choice was the Triumph Speed Twin 1200, which is lovely for laid back tootling but capable of arm-wrenching acceleration from low revs. I then started looking for a tourer as a stablemate for the Triumph, but couldn't find anything that floated my boat.

So I tried the Mandello, and I'm glad. Because of its price it would have to fill both roles, and it does. Lazy pottering with a V-twin burble, and brilliant acceleration right through the rev range. Great for sunny Sunday blasts. And then hook the luggage on and it's a highly capable long distance tourer. Both boxes ticked. :)
Yeah!
Excactly!
I am impressed of how they managed to make the Mandello so versatile for these three situations.
Low speed layed back driving, weekend blasts, and also touring.
Plus being more exciting than other bikes.

The quality of moto journalism, and auto scribes too (my monthly Car & Driver is now every two months), and well - journalism in general, has never been so pathetic, but that's for another thread.
But I'd also call out Piaggio's PR that can learn a thing or two from the industry, as any new BMW/Harley/Triumph/etc. gets hyped and pushed through the press/show circuit/industry event/demos/etc. with such vigor, polish & story telling that MG has simply lacked.
The V100 is a groundbreaking bike for not just MG, but the industry in general. It's a return to common sense, a balance between something that can do real distance on but not be so massive and cumbersome in urban settings. It's also a statement against the "you're not really circumventing the globe Ewan!" adventure bikes that are dominating, especially in Europe. The press hasn't been bad, but the V100 hasn't gotten the kudos it deserves. Nor has other MG models.
In the end I've learned to care less about what the "experts" say, and now after a liftime of riding I consider myself the only expert that matters.

Seriously? He needs to take a little more meth as he’s not quite completely jittery and spastic but darn close.

Wheelies and backing it in? Zack, please…get a real job.

I stand resolute on my statement.

Seriously? He needs to take a little more meth as he’s not quite completely jittery and spastic but darn close.

Wheelies and backing it in? Zack, please…get a real job.

I stand resolute on my statement.
I get exhausted listening to that guy, he's so hyper. Maybe he'll relax after a long ride on the Mandello.

One of his slight critiques is the too close and low gearing in gears 4, 5, and 6. He has brought this up on a number of bikes and is one of my pet peeves on some as well. I've not ridden a V100 (yet) but how do you find the gearing to be? I would prefer it do around 70mph at 4,000 in 6th but I believe it is doing maybe 60 mph at 4K.

Does that matter?
I can ensure you that the engine works relaxed and quiet at 60-70mph.
It’s never stressed at any point I would say.
Don’t remember atm which engine rpm’s it is for 60mph.
Enclosed is a data over the gear ratios if someone is interested in calculating,
But the red area starts at 9k rpm’s, and the top speed (display speed?) is about 150mph.
Diveded by 9k engine rpm it’s about 16,7mph per 1k rpm.
So 4k rpm would give almost 67mph, although gps speed may differ slightly.

Attachments

• IMG_1040.png
    IMG_1040.png
    126.8 KB · Views: 5
One of his slight critiques is the too close and low gearing in gears 4, 5, and 6. He has brought this up on a number of bikes and is one of my pet peeves on some as well. I've not ridden a V100 (yet) but how do you find the gearing to be? I would prefer it do around 70mph at 4,000 in 6th but I believe it is doing maybe 60 mph at 4K.
if I remember correctly, it runs at about 4200 rpm @ 70 mph. Very smooth, no issues.

Thanks Indy, 4,200 at an actual 70 doesn't really seem too fast, although with 6 gears I'd prefer even taller. The Stelvio should be almost the same so I'll see what it shows when I take it out today for the first time. Or at least according to the speedo. How far optimistic are the speedometers BTW?

I don’t know…

I guess I am really unusual here because I have never operated any engined vehicle of any kind, with a mindset of looking for things to dislike or complain about or that I wanted to change.

This has been true for cars, motorcycles, boats, aircraft, hell, even my tractor and riding mowers.

I like to enjoy them for what they are and what they were designed to be.

It’s kind of like a current trend I notice in fine dining restaurants lately. It’s annoying as hell to listen to them and I can see it on the faces of the staff that they find it totally annoying as well. “Starbucks Syndrome” I call it. Lots of people go into restaurants and want to immediately change items on the menu and I’m not talking “no tomatoes” but change the protein, change the sauce, change the entire structure of the dish all around. It’s crazy to me.

But you guys keep looking for things to dislike. Seems to make you happy which for the life of me, I cannot understand.

You operate with a mindset to never change things on vehicles? I wish I could say that because it would have saved me a lot of money!

You operate with a mindset to never change things on vehicles? I wish I could say that because it would have saved me a lot of money!

For the overwhelming most part, yes. Absolutely!

Most of the stuff people call upgrades, are just pure garbage to me.

For example, my FJ Cruiser is bone stock except for replacement LED light bulbs in the cabin because they are 10x brighter and I can see things on the floor when I turn them on.

Almost all of my motorcycles are bone stock or OEM accessories only except for some of my Moto Guzzi’s (V-10 Centauro, Stelvio NTX, Eldorado 1400), have Mistral exhausts on them because I love the sound of Mistral products. I have the Agostini cat eliminator for the V100 which I bought yesterday at Cadre Cycle in Cincinnati. I also have the PowerCommander and Autotune setup from GTM on my Stelvio NTX and recently arrived for installation on my Eldorado 1400. Other than these few things, bone stock otherwise.

The only Farkle Queen I own is the BMW HP2 Enduro, which I bought with all the huge myriad of farkle pieces on her, and the 10 boxes of original parts that the original owner included with it.

Last edited:
Same with me. I do have a bugbear, though: nobody makes a motorcycle that can withstand continuous winter use with salt and grit on the roads. The V100 is a perfect example: mudguards that are a joke - as much use as a chocolate teapot. Water flings off tyres at a tangent (not straight outwards), so the parts of the motorcycle that are protected by the front mudguard are... well... basically just the underside of the headlamp. (I had a Suzi DL1000 and the mudguard was so bloody useless, spray from the front wheel would shoot up past the steering head and smother the instruments with muddy water!)

The expensive Ohlin suspension at the back of my 'S' model is totally exposed to grit and salt - it is so unprotected I think the bike is pretty much disqualified from use in a typical British winter.

So, after that rant, back to the topic we're discussing. I leave my bikes stock apart from stuff to protect it from the weather (stuff which it should come with, in my view). On my Mandello: a Pyramid extra-long extender (still not long enough), an engine guard, and a radiator guard. I'm waiting for someone to make a decent hugger.

I must tip my hat to Royal Enfield - most of their bikes have actual, proper mudguards.
Yes! Mudguards are my current bugbear (in addition from hideous incandescent turn signals on NA versions of bikes). What's wrong with a functional length? Not so long ago -ish, it was standard and it looked good:

2837027191a74d6c29de2450c8476434 3508746053

Not so long ago -ish, it was standard and it looked good:

Welcome to the world’s most litigious society!

Somebody was injured and sued somebody because their signal wasn’t visible under normal conditions at xyz feet away. Most likely, several lawsuits erupted and our beloved D.O.T. (Department of Transportation) got involved and passed legal requirements which changed everything.

This is precisely what happened with the Stelvio NTX.

The originally OEM fitted, body mounted turn signals, failed DOT certification in the USA because they were not the required distance FROM the main headlight. The bikes were already in the USA was my understanding and being denied certification for sale.

So Moto Guzzi scrambled and made blanks for the body location and procured those horrific Chinese crap mirrors with the cheap ass bulb in them and quickly fitted them.

They were truly awful mirrors and they buzzed like dragonfly wings. You couldn’t see anything in them but blurt!

Of course, virtually everybody immediately replaced those terrible mirrors with the European turn signals and replaced them with solid body mirrors. Problem solved and a huge joke to say the least. Moto Guzzi made $$$ on sales of the European light kits. Go figure…

Our D.O.T. does some great things sometimes but a lot of the crap they regulate is, well…crap.

Back