• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tire companies and production

scottmastrocinque

GT Godfather!
GT di Razza Pura
Anyways......damn to those Pirelli Angels, just awful!

Because, they are CHINESE crap. Yet another revered Italian company, bought up for huge cash by China.

In 2015, China National Chemical Corp. Ltd. (ChemChina) took controlling interest of Pirelli; with the Chinese state-owned company agreeing to maintain the tyre company's ownership structure until 2023.

FWIW: I worked on a Benelli TK 502 last year, what a total piece of shit that was!

I hope that Piaggio gets over this cheap Chinese crap soon. It is going to be the downfall of this venerable marque.

Last edited:
I think Pirelli and presumably the Chinese now own Metzler as well. That just about narrows the field down to Michelin.

Metzler was acquired by Pirelli years ago in 1986.

So, yes, they are another crap Chinese tire too now. Shame. The Tourancecwas my absolute dual sport tire for more than 10 years. I’m

My long time go-to brand both personally and in my workshop is Shinko tires.

I love them and so has every customer who I mounted them onto their motorcycle.

Originally evolved from purchase of Yokohama motorcycle tire division, now an American owned company (Western Powersports owns them), design by engineers in Japan and manufactured in a state of the art facility in South Korea, where they craft 200,000+ motorcycle tires per month.

The price to value ratio of Shinko tires is untouchable by any other manufacturer.

They craft everything from racing slicks to heavy cruiser tires and even off road tires.

Worth a look if you ask me.

I think Pirelli and presumably the Chinese now own Metzler as well. That just about narrows the field down to Michelin.
Metzler was acquired by Pirelli years ago in 1986.

So, yes, they are another crap Chinese tire too now. Shame. The Tourancecwas my absolute dual sport tire for more than 10 years. I’m

My long time go-to brand both personally and in my workshop is Shinko tires.

I love them and so has every customer who I mounted them onto their motorcycle.

Originally evolved from purchase of Yokohama motorcycle tire division, now an American owned company (Western Powersports owns them), design by engineers in Japan and manufactured in a state of the art facility in South Korea, where they craft 200,000+ motorcycle tires per month.

The price to value ratio of Shinko tires is untouchable by any other manufacturer.

They craft everything from racing slicks to heavy cruiser tires and even off road tires.

Worth a look if you ask me.
I’ll definitely consider them when it’s time for new tires.
I’m not sure if Dunlop is still making motorcycle tires in the USA. I believe they’re owned by Bridgestone now.
I’m unsure what country Michelin manufactures there motorcycle tires in.

I’m not sure if Dunlop is still making motorcycle tires in the USA. I believe they’re owned by Bridgestone now.
Huh? Dunlop is owned by Sumitomo Rubber (Japan), however they have manufacturing plants in the United Kingdom, United States, Thailand, China, France, Germany, Brazil, and Japan. Dunlop is the ONLY motorcycle tire manufacturer that designs, tests, produces, and supports tires in the United States: Dunlop's tire manufacturing plant is located in Buffalo, NY. Dunlop's R&D Team is located in Buffalo, NY. Dunlop's proving grounds is located in Huntsville, AL.
I'm a HUGE supporter, dealer and I raced on them for 2+ decades. They knocked ~4 seconds off my lap times in my first year AMA Pro.
Most of the Qualifier tires are Made in Buffalo NY USA.

Huh? Dunlop is owned by Sumitomo Rubber (China), however they have manufacturing plants in the United Kingdom, United States, Thailand, China, France, Germany, Brazil, and Japan. Dunlop is the ONLY motorcycle tire manufacturer that designs, tests, produces, and supports tires in the United States: Dunlop's tire manufacturing plant is located in Buffalo, NY. Dunlop's R&D Team is located in Buffalo, NY. Dunlop's proving grounds is located in Huntsville, AL.
I'm a HUGE supporter, dealer and I raced on them for 2+ decades. They knocked ~4 seconds off my lap times in my first year AMA Pro.
Most of the Qualifier tires are Made in Buffalo NY USA.
I’ve read some good reviews on the Dunlop motorcycle tires so I’ll definitely give them some consideration too.
Thanks for the accurate information.

After reading this thread yesterday I went down a rabbit hole. I did searches on the major motorcycle tire manufacturers. A bunch of eye openers. Now it makes me wonder what I will go to for replacement tires. I was up set when Goodyear wound up in control of Avon motorcycle tires. I have used them for years and have been happy with them. But the last was that they were no longer going to be manufactured after the end 2023. I have been leary of Shinko mainly because of the low low prices. After reading about the company yesterday and what I have read in the past about them that is the way I will be going. All the other brands have gone through major buyouts, owner changes and become part of major conglomerates so I wonder what their real commitment to a quality tire really is. I am not a real aggressive rider so longevity is more of a concern to me than grip at extreme lean angles. I need to replace tires on my V7lll quite soon and would like to put radials on it. The only ones that I have found in the right sizes are Conti Road Attack lll's. I don't think I researched the Continental Tire Company though.
kk

I’m unsure what country Michelin manufactures there motorcycle tires in.

Spain, Thailand and China.

All of these companies will swear on a stack of Bibles that a tire made in Spain, China or Thailand is EXACTLY the same as ones previously made in France and the USA.

My experience has been radically different and I don’t believe a word of their bullshit.

I feel the same about tires made in Brazil. These Brazilian made Metzlers were not even a year old, still had the casting nipples, and they speak volumes as to the pure shit manufacturing overseas.

This tire was separating from the carcass literally all around the tire.

When I sent these images to Metzler, they DENIED a warranty claim and instead said it was cause by the owner in improper maintenance. The owner was fastidious in caring for both his motorcycles and I told the rep on the phone that he was full of shit.

It was at that point I swore off Chinese, Thailand, and Brazilian crap tires.

IMG 3355 IMG 3354 IMG 3357 IMG 3367 IMG 3370 IMG 3361 IMG 3359

Dunlop is actually another part of Goodyear. They bought out Sumitomo a few years ago. It is amazing what I found in that rabbit hole. I wasted way too much time down there. It was quite confusing as to who owns who.
kk

Dunlop is actually another part of Goodyear. They bought out Sumitomo a few years ago. It is amazing what I found in that rabbit hole. I wasted way too much time down there. It was quite confusing as to who owns who.
kk

Actually GTM is correct and you are mistaken.

Sumitomo Rubber finalized total re-aquisition of Dunlop back in 2015.

I meant to add that Shinko is headquartered in Boise Idaho of all places.
kk

Like I said earlier, they are an American owned company.

Western Power Sports (WPS) owns them.

WPS is a major wholesaler of motor sports parts and accessories. They are competitors to Tucker Rocket and Parts Unlimited.

They were my supplier at my workshop.

Reading further you are right. Sumitomo makes the motorcycle tires as well as auto tires. Goodyear makes auto tires in the US. What I read earlier didn't differentiate between the two as far as motorcycle tires went. They both make tires under the Dunlop name. Back in the 70's the Japanese Dunlop tires weren't near as good as the English made ones. I ran both on my R75 for many years and miles. I am sure they are much better now. I ran Dunlops on my Harley, worked well on it.
kk

Like I said earlier, they are an American owned company.

Western Power Sports (WPS) owns them.

WPS is a major wholesaler of motor sports parts and accessories. They are competitors to Tucker Rocket and Parts Unlimited.

They were my supplier at my workshop.
Spain, Thailand and China.

All of these companies will swear on a stack of Bibles that a tire made in Spain, China or Thailand is EXACTLY the same as ones previously made in France and the USA.

My experience has been radically different and I don’t believe a word of their bullshit.

I feel the same about tires made in Brazil. These Brazilian made Metzlers were not even a year old, still had the casting nipples, and they speak volumes as to the pure shit manufacturing overseas.

This tire was separating from the carcass literally all around the tire.

When I sent these images to Metzler, they DENIED a warranty claim and instead said it was cause by the owner in improper maintenance. The owner was fastidious in caring for both his motorcycles and I told the rep on the phone that he was full of shit.

It was at that point I swore off Chinese, Thailand, and Brazilian crap tires.

View attachment 34679View attachment 34680View attachment 34681View attachment 34682View attachment 34683View attachment 34684View attachment 34685
I’d been using Hercules automotive tires for a while and they were made in Finley, Ohio. They moved there headquarters to NC and now their making the tires in Korea.

Even Vogue tires are now made in China. They're an American company started in 1914. They invented the whitewall tire.
I bought a set for my SVX a few years ago assuming they were made in the USA. I was very sad when they arrived and I saw Made in China on the sidewall. I complained to the company and the president sent me an email with his phone number. He asked me to call him so he could explain why they moved production to China. I never did. It's obvious that costs were the reason.

Hercules tires are or were made by Cooper. Cooper was purchased by Goodyear. I have Coopers on my pickup, they have been very good.
kk

Back