• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

tire plug

I carry and have used the Nealy tire repair kit. Comes in a small tube with the strings and inserting tool. I’ve never had them not seal.

I've successfully used string plugs on occassion. which turns out to be 3 times on 3 bikes in the last year.

V85 - hole in center of tread on a Tourance. String plug holding fine after 5,000 miles, including about 2,000 miles of summer interstate.
Tiger 800 - I'm wary of this one as it's about half way between center of tread and edge of tire. It's holding air fine, I'm doing short local 100 mile rides, it's holding fine after a few hundred miles. But I'll do a new tire before any long trips this fall.
98 Bandit - nail straight in center of the tread. Holding for about 1,000 miles. Including a fast paced, 680 mile interstate ride in summer.

Ive recently replaced my rear tire a month or so ago after installing my 5th plug in that sime tire. 1st plug was installed withing 100km of leaving the show room, tire was replaced at 20 000km, never have any issues or leakage from any of the plugs. I have friends that will not, under any circumstances ride a bike with a plug in the tire, they prefer have their bike towed. They seem to think if the plug fail the tire will disintegrate catastrophicly or something... in 25 years ive never had any issue, nor do i know anyone who had notable issues with a plug other than a cery slow leak due to incorrect installation.

My feeling with car and motorcycle dealers is, they are not in the business to fix things. They are in the business of selling an
P replacing parts. The MG dealer tried to convince me to replace the tire, and had a Nissan dealer trying to sell me a new heat shield, when i was able to fix the issue with only 3 tek screws...
Why fix your vehicle for a few $ when they can make a couple hundreds by selling you new parts?

Small independent shops seems to be better about it than dealers

Ive recently replaced my rear tire a month or so ago after installing my 5th plug in that sime tire. 1st plug was installed withing 100km of leaving the show room, tire was replaced at 20 000km, never have any issues or leakage from any of the plugs. I have friends that will not, under any circumstances ride a bike with a plug in the tire, they prefer have their bike towed. They seem to think if the plug fail the tire will disintegrate catastrophicly or something... in 25 years ive never had any issue, nor do i know anyone who had notable issues with a plug other than a cery slow leak due to incorrect installation.

My feeling with car and motorcycle dealers is, they are not in the business to fix things. They are in the business of selling an
P replacing parts. The MG dealer tried to convince me to replace the tire, and had a Nissan dealer trying to sell me a new heat shield, when i was able to fix the issue with only 3 tek screws...
Why fix your vehicle for a few $ when they can make a couple hundreds by selling you new parts?

Small independent shops seems to be better about it than dealers
Every plug in a tire compromises the construction of the tire. Roadside plugs kits are to get you to where you can get a permanent repair (internal patch plug) or replacement tire. I can understand riding awhile with one plug in a tire, but not 5. I'd say you are a lucky rider.

Every plug in a tire compromises the construction of the tire. Roadside plugs kits are to get you to where you can get a permanent repair (internal patch plug) or replacement tire. I can understand riding awhile with one plug in a tire, but not 5. I'd say you are a lucky rider.

I carry at least two plugging systems in my top box, along with a pump.

But the last two flats I've gotten were both unrepairable cuts, don't even know what caused them. Slime or Ride-on wouldn't have helped, either. Had to get towed both times. Frustrating, to think you're ready, then be helpless when it happens ....

Lannis

Back