• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Top Box Set Ups?

147R wrote:
I have the Givi topbox. High quality, has never worked loose let alone come off... also totally waterproof even in prolonged heavy rain.
P6290005.JPG
David, what model is that?

I'm looking at the E340 below. This will go onto the SR210M rack, correct guys? Size wise, this is about perfect for me. It claims it's built for "scooters and low powered machines" but it seems to have worked well for others, yes?

E340N.jpg

Yes and yes. The Monolock series uses the SR210M (not the SR210 used on Monokeys) rack & its own complete series of cases, including the E340 you are looking at & the slightly bigger E370 you've seen on my Norge. The Monolocks were originated for use on scooters & therefore are a bit lighter, but Givi lists them for mounting on all sorts of full sized bikes inc Norge/B11&12, & I have never heard of anyone having any kind of issue with them. Maybe if you are hauling bricks? I've had mine well over 100MPH without even a ghost of an issue. Course, the Guzzi Norge bags have stickers that say don't go over 80 mph/130 kph, & they were on the same ride, again without issues. I would be truly surprised if you were less than completely satisfied with any Givi top case, frankly.

A Givi products fan for over 20 years and never been disappointed. I use both 26 and 46 litre Monolock topboxes on my bikes and have greatly exceeded the weight and speed ratings countless times without any issues. Great Italian products which a Guzzi can wear with confidence and pride.

Looking in the mirror, I note that all my riding gear is Italian also. Just coincidence of course.

I think the scooter tag for the Monolock series comes from the fact that they can only be used as a topbox, while the Monokey can also be used as panniers. Mark Etheridge calls Monokey boxes "helicoptor bags" when used as panniers, as the reflector can only be observed from above.

Ok then, I've fitted the V46 top box, and now have my Breva in full touring mode ready for the trip to Provence in early September... I CANNOT WAIT!!!! Just need to arrange some hotels down and back...
Now this is what it's about, a road trip!!

3775595762_8e7c98f29a.jpg

Well that looks ok to me almost like my 1100 during "touring-mode" B)
Just a tip when opening the sidecases after parking in the rain. First dry the bottompart of the handles before opening. Some water (not much) will collect in there since the draininghole is not placed in the lowest point and so drip in the case. When riding in the rain there is no problem, since the wind will blow the water out. Not a big problem, but the first time I tought it was leaking...

Check out this setup available from H&B, the alurack for the Stelvio uses the Guzzi baseplate. It's very sleek and not too expensive, I believe 75$ in the US. You can then fit their topcase

Hepco parts list

Alu-rack brochure

The Stelvio topcase support seems the same as the Norge, can anyone confirm this?

Re: Re:Top Box Set Ups?

Kevin.NZ said:
Hi,
I fitted the optional brake light as well. Be advised when you "tap" into the brake circuit a diode is needed otherwise it interferes with the tail/brake light operation. Cheers Kevin

This is what I am looking for. You put a diode in the line to the trunk light? Which direction and size. I have a fuzzy knowledge of electronics. I found upon putting a Givi V46 with a brake light on my Norge I lost the tailight. Taking the case off restored the tailight. This was discovered after 1-1/2 hours of rewiring (more than once) figuring I had done SOMETHING wrong. Seems the regular bulbs wired into the brake light circuit interfere with the tail light circuit.

Rudy

Hi abbienormal,
I assume you have located the plug with the 3 wires that feeds the brake/tail light, On my Breva I joined one wire from the Givi brake light to the Green/Yellow (brake light feed) and the other to the Blue(earth). I cut the green/yellow wire and rejoined with a diode in series (1N4001), this is a 1amp, 50 Volt semiconductor. The cathode goes towards the brake/tail light fitting. The diode is needed because the Givi lamp provides a low resistance to earth from the taillight circuit inside the rear lamp cluster which are all L.E.D's
Cheers Kevin

I was wired into the same 2 wires. I am surprised the diode goes in the brake line. I thought it would go in the wire going to the trunk to prevent the closed circuit to ground until full voltage was applied. I wish I knew more about electronics. I'll pick up a diode and get to work.

Rudy

The brake/tail lights on the Breva are all the same L.E.D's, they are just brighter when the brake is operated, I am not sure what circuitry is inside the rear lamp, possibly just a resistor in the tail light line to take the brightness down and this is bypassed when the brake is operated. Is is not like a car brake/tail lamp which are two separate filaments. The diode stops the 12volts from the tail light circuit finding its way to earth via the top box lamps.
Cheers Kevin

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 440
I finally got around to getting the diode and am now in the process of wiring it in. Thanks Kevin. The local Radio Shack had them in stock. My soldering is terrible so I am having a computer geek friend do it. As for the top box set ups this forum is about I had a Givi #52 from my 1998 Honda Pacific Coast which was a perfect color match to both bikes. However, on the Norge at 85mph and above I tended to get an attention getting wander from the bike. It got much worse behind large trucks. I ordered a V46 and and the problem improved a lot to where I almost never get that feeling now. The Givi rep made the recommendation saying the V46 was more aerodynamic. Finding the red lid for the V46 was a little harder but I did get one.

Rudy

Back