• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tyre (tire) Pressure Monitor Systems

sanddweller

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Hi
I read somewhere "In the USA T.P.M.S is required to be fitted by law on new vehicles from September 2007."
If that is true, does this also apply to motorcycles, and if so, what is provided on the Stelvio?

I purchased a kit with external sensors, but despite claimed battery life of 3-4 years, these lasted only months. (sealed units non replaceable battery).
They reported pressure in Bar, kPa, PSI and temperature, in C/F. Warnings on change in pressure or temperature.

I've since found the manufacturer is out of business, and these were probably old stock on clearance sale, so i dont think I am going to find replacement sensors.
Fair enough they worked for a big trip, and for peace of mine, probably did the job.

So, I want to replace the sensors, but it looks like that might be unlikely, meaning a new system - hence my question.
Failing a 'standard' Guzzi option in the USA, does anyone have experience/suggestions?

[note the unit I used was from German company Atrium-Enterprises; appears to be same as sold in USA as Doran 360M]

many thanks,

The Kawasaki Concours14 has them, just sold my bike. They had battery issues too. Many owners complained they failed in less than 2 years and while mine lasted two years they never worked well when cold and I just found the feature to be more trouble than it was worth. In my opinion using a dial gauge works well enough and so I am content that my 2013 Stelvio doesn't have them.

No sure of any systems designed for the Stelvio but maybe someone will respond?

Vivo

I think we are better off without these systems. By the time you get a warning, the tire is already critically low (at least that was how the system was on my wife's BMW X3). Also there is the added expense at tire change that we don't need. Better to check them with a gauge than to rely on these electronic systems that for tires is quite un-reliable. Any future vehicle I get will have this system disabled.

The system on the Concours14 does show accurate readings, accurate to itself. What I mean is when the system says you have 42 pounds of air before you start riding you can actually see the increase of a pound and then another when the tires heat as you ride and as you slow while riding and the tire cools a bit it shows you drop a pound. That may not mean you have 42 pounds by measuring with a tire gauge or it may in fact be reliable. Mine was close to what a tire gauge measured and so it worked very well. Other riders said their system was off but that doesn't matter as long as you know what you want to hold.
Many bikes gave false reading when the air temp was cold and that warning took over the dash display until you cleared it.

All that said, I won't miss the sensors one bit. I did like the electric shield very much on the Kawasaki, it made a big difference up and down and could be adjusted at speed but I wouldn't want the complexity on a Stelvio or any increase in weight and as long as it adjusts I'll work with that. Simple is better in my opinion...

VIVO

TPM systems are NOT required on motorcycles nor cars\trucks in the US. I believe that the safety-crats are trying to add the feature as a requirement in the future, but as of now, they are not a required item.

The 08 GSA I recently sold had them. Never had any trouble with them and they did warn me of a low rear tire when it was punctured well before I could feel it riding the bike. That system gave pressure readings for both tires and that's one system I would like to see on the NTX.

These systems will come embedded in the tyres some time not far in the future and will be read by immobilizer kind of sensors. I think that the ongoing economic slowdown the last years has also slowed down the required technological developement but it will come up again, eventually.

OK - thanks Guys.

I was quite pleased with the TPMS when it worked. They appeared to be accurate when measured against a separate guage.
I certainly did warn me at least once when the rear was a little low in pressure - and it also reports and warns temperatures too. These warned of a percentage drop or increase in original setting of pressure and temp.
Obviously false warnings occur - as they did for me on a 25C day in Spain then climbing through the Pyrenees up to Andorra where we ended up in a snowstorm at -2C, but they do offer some peace of mind, I feel.

I am not aware of any TPMS offered by Moto Guzzi for the V85TT. I have also been searching for suitable aftermarket systems. The TPMS on my electric car (which has no spare) and on my SUV have both alerted me to low pressures from punctures in time to stop before further damaging the tires. This allowed the tires to be repaired. Advance notification of dropping pressure would have been nice when the rear tire on my V85TT was punctured recently. I was able to stop safely after feeling the handling vagueness at freeway speed, but am searching for suitable TPMS for more advance notice.

I have the FOBO Bike 2 system on my V7 III. It's a great system. Alerts me as soon as a tire is more than 1 lbs. below what I have set.
The app is intuitive and works well. Currently have it on a Samsung phone, but previously had it on an iPhone. No issues at all.

I am not aware of any TPMS offered by Moto Guzzi for the V85TT. I have also been searching for suitable aftermarket systems. The TPMS on my electric car (which has no spare) and on my SUV have both alerted me to low pressures from punctures in time to stop before further damaging the tires. This allowed the tires to be repaired. Advance notification of dropping pressure would have been nice when the rear tire on my V85TT was punctured recently. I was able to stop safely after feeling the handling vagueness at freeway speed, but am searching for suitable TPMS for more advance notice.
I saw this on a Moto Guzzi website and you can see it says tire pressure monitor monitoring for the 2022 v85tt travel

Attachments

• F3F2F840-3220-45E8-97D1-1BA02C87F298.png
    F3F2F840-3220-45E8-97D1-1BA02C87F298.png
    230.5 KB · Views: 9
I purchased a after market tire pressure monitor on my Breva, similar to the Fobo but only NZ$50.00/pair, got it from Aliexpress. Indicator sits on the handle bars, it beeps and flashes red if pressures drop below a certain level or temps rise. Very reliable.

I’ve looked at these but often wondered the quality. I was worried that it would last about 3 days before falling apart.

Now, given that you guys have had good luck with them, I’m very interested in this now.

Thank you for the great information! 😀

👌👍🙏

I have one on the dorsoduro also. it's very tough/rugged. and water resistant. I have been thru some major storms with it. no issues. display goes to sleep if it's not getting a signal which saves even more battery power.

They are typical Chinese quality. One might last 2 months and the next 5 years. I recommend getting a $50. +- $10 from a well liked US supplier. You can get 20 batteries for $5. and they too last different times. I've been using them for 20 years now.
It's nice to not have to crawl around on the floor to check tires before you leave. Most read anywhere from instantly to 100'.

Back